Is my Power Converter bad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ip076

I left my rig buttoned up to store for two weeks, butnleft it plugged in to run the fridge and maintain the battery.

I think at one point the power tripped to the park, and power was lost to the 5er. I showed up today to dead battery and no AC power. I flipped the breaker at the power pole and that seemed to get me AC power and no DC power. I?ve put the batteries on a charger and have DC power back. I?ve accessed the power converter. I have verified power at the AC plug in which the converter is plugged in. I attached a multimeter to the outputs on the Power Converter and there?s no reading. There are three fuses on the power converter, none of which are blown. It is an intellipower pd9280.

Thoughts?

Give it a few minutes.. Last year my 9180 took a dump. no output. So I put in a refurb (Factory Refurb) Since Marshall was .. basically on my path.

But make sure that the converter is plugged in if it is plug in model

And check for voltage at 3 places

The terminals on the 9280

THen move the RED tip to both of the "Windows" in one of the fuses.

Fuses CAN fail and still look good.

Update:  Voltage at the PC output along with both sides of all 3 fuses is battery voltage. If I turn off the battery disconnect, all those points go to 0. Again, the PC is plugged in and power has been verified at that location. It certainly sounds as if that PC is bad.  Despite it being an expensive fix, I?d be ok with it if that is in fact what my problem is. I seem to be ruling out other possibilities.

I also discovered the Li Op message on the fridge yesterday. I?ve done some research and I?m thinking it?s tied together with the other electrical gremlin.

Any more thoughts from the group?

Ok You have determined the converter is not converting that is has failed.

IF the unit is LESS than 10 years old Progressive Dynamics will fix or exchange for a small fee. if it is one of their units.  OR a factory Refurb can be purchased for less than new.

I'd call the factory direct. It is in Marshall. Michigan.

Now looking for ideas to get on the road. I hooked up a battery charger to the battery. I got the slides retracted, rig on the truck, and now the front two jacks stopped halfway up. Battery shows 13v. No DC power anywhere in the unit. Truck is hooked up??c but jacks are not far enough up to tow safely.

I can?t seem to locate an inline fuse anywhere near or around the battery, but if there was such a think that would likely be the culprit.

I?m full time living, and in desire to get on the road I ordered the replacement to be delivered a couple hours south, where I was hoping to get to today. Honestly, at this point t is just like to get on the road. If I need to hotel it for a few nights that?s ok in my mind.

I had to use a charger when my 9180 failed. Make sure your battery connect solenoid/switch are in the USE/Connected/ON (do not know how it is labeled) may be labeled AUX Battery.

WIth my charger the battery took 24 hours to come up to "FULL" per the Deltran Battery Tender Converter. it is a 20 amp charger.

John, you?re talking about a battery switch on the coach itself right?

The charger idea is working well. I was able to get on the road and am camped near where the part will arrive on Tuesday. Should be in business in short order after that, seems like a pretty easy replacement.

Also, to close it out the Li Op warning hasn?t come back, without me ever trying to reset it. I think that must have been due to the low DC voltage.

Yes I'm talking about that switch.

Li Op warning.. I do not have that make so I'm not sure but I do know that low voltage can confuse the computer same as low blood sugar makes a person act drunk (Confused is a symptom) and thus ... Things can go weird.

My Keystone Alpine has a circuit breaker for the converter.  And two 40-amp fuses that I blew under a similar situation.  Check the fuses with an ohm meter.

Thanks. The converter was definitely bad. I replaced it and everything works well. I kept the old one, I?ll probably tinker with it and crack it open and see if I can find what failed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom