Can my Ram 2500 4x4 tow a 5th wheel without adjusting the 5th wheels axles?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RamCamping

Hello Everyone!
Go easy on me, I have little experience in setting up the 5th wheels. I have been hauling my 2004 Crossroads, 27 foot 5th wheel with my 2003 Ford F350, crew cab, diesel dually 4x4 for about 7 years now.
Recently I purchased a 2015 Ram 2500 Crew Cab, short bed 4x4 with the Cummins. I was thinking I would simply buy a new hitch and sell the Ford to someone that can benefit from it. However, I have been hesitating in doing so as the Ram sit much higher from the factory than the Ford does. I have concerns that when I hook up to the 5th wheel, the tires on the 5th wheel will not sit level on the highway.

So...I imagine there are many of you who own a Ram 4x4 and are aware of this height concern? ANd you are hauling a 5th wheel. SO...How was that experience for you? What needed done?

Many Sincere Thanks in Advance!

With the trailer sitting level, measure from the ground to the lowest point on the nose that would overhang the truck box. Now measure the height of the truck box, there should be a minimum of 6" difference. If not you may need to look at putting the axles under the springs.

Welcome to the Forum!

If the FW tows level with the F350 and has about 6" bed side clearance, and the Ram bed is 6" higher, then the hitch will be 6" higher in the Ram.  While hitch heights have some adjustment, I am using the bed side clearance as my measuring point.  This clearance must be maintained.

I have a 2015 RAM 2500 and tow a 2016 Wildcat just fine. I have the CURT A16 hitch with the slide which gives me plenty of turning clearance once slid backward. Your nose will ride a little higher because of the coils on the truck and you can adjust your trailer by adding an axle spacer. Some will tell you to flip the trailer springs not in favor of that. 

Happy Camping. 

Back
Top Bottom