rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Temporary parking without using stabilizing/leveling jacks ?  (Read 281 times)

ShinDig

Temporary parking without using stabilizing/leveling jacks ?
« on: October 13, 2018, 12:11:30 PM »
 ???

I'm going to have a friend tow my 27' bumper-pull travel trailer across state in the next few weeks. I will be moving across state in advance of my TT in my personal car . I will be leaving the trailer unattended for a couple days before my friend comes to pick it up.  My friend has had back problems in the recent past so I want to make his hitching up to my trailer as easy as possible. My question is this; Would it be ok to leave my trailer resting on only it's tongue jack and stowing my 4 leveling/stabilizing jacks in the up position so that it will be one less step for him to have to do before pulling my trailer out ?  I know that raising the 4 stabilizing jacks is not a big deal for most people but I wouldn't want my friend to reinjure his back while cranking the additional 4 jacks up.  The trailer will only be sitting unattended for a few days (a week at most)  from the time I leave it until when he comes to get it.
Is it a bad idea to have my trailer parked and resting on only it's tongue jack ?

SpencerPJ

• ---
Re: Temporary parking without using stabilizing/leveling jacks ?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2018, 12:43:49 PM »
Perfectly fine, all the RV Dealers do it all the time.

Lou Schneider

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2018, 12:58:27 PM »
Just make sure the refrigerator is turned off if the trailer isn't level.

HappyWanderer

• ---
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2018, 01:02:28 PM »
There's no reason to ever lower the jacks while the trailer isn't is use.
WARNING: This post may contain a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer, or birth defects or other reproductive harm.

SpencerPJ

• ---
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2018, 01:14:59 PM »
There's no reason to ever lower the jacks while the trailer isn't is use.

I lower mine in the driveway just for added stability and Just in case the borderline tornado comes around, I feel it would hold it's ground better.

ShinDig

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2018, 01:16:15 PM »
Thanks for the replies everyone.  I truly appreciate it.

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2018, 05:27:09 PM »
Ok I will comment on two things.
1: IF I were doing a major (Multi day) Hike i'd nto be doing a full unhook and set up every night. For sure I'd be leaving it hooked up for a "Quick Getaway" come the dawn (Well post breakfast anyway).

LEVEL as the one poster above said if it is not level turn off fridge.  Norcold says 3 degrees side to side and 6 Front to back.. I don't knwo which they mean by side to side (Trailer or Fridge) but.

for an 8 foot wheel base (Side to side) 3 degrees is about 5 Inches.

I would not be comfortable 5 inches off side to side.

Front to back .. Well you'd have to do the math since since I don't know the distance involved.    But 5 inches in 8 inches or if you want easier math 1 inch every 2 feet.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

Lowell

• ---
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2018, 06:11:19 PM »
The Stabilizers are only there to keep the trailer steady and stable while it is occupied. I have stayed in ours overnight without the stabilizers down and it is safe but you feel the motion when someone walks ( or in my case, when I roll over in bed).
Lowell

2005 Cherokee28A TT
pulled by 2009 Dodge 1500 Crew Cab 4X4
KF7YET

Tempe, Arizona

Rene T

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Every day is payday and every payday I have off
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2018, 06:17:30 PM »
We have a fifth wheel and while travelling and we stop for the night, we stay hitched up and I usually just put down the front landing gear for a little support and takes a little weight off the truck tires. Don't know if it helps anything but i know it can't hurt. I do unplug the power cord. I don't want the chance of waking up to a dead battery in the truck and the trailer. Not that it will happen, just being cautious.
Rene, Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL