Temporary parking without using stabilizing/leveling jacks ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ShinDig

???

I'm going to have a friend tow my 27' bumper-pull travel trailer across state in the next few weeks. I will be moving across state in advance of my TT in my personal car . I will be leaving the trailer unattended for a couple days before my friend comes to pick it up.  My friend has had back problems in the recent past so I want to make his hitching up to my trailer as easy as possible. My question is this; Would it be ok to leave my trailer resting on only it's tongue jack and stowing my 4 leveling/stabilizing jacks in the up position so that it will be one less step for him to have to do before pulling my trailer out ?  I know that raising the 4 stabilizing jacks is not a big deal for most people but I wouldn't want my friend to reinjure his back while cranking the additional 4 jacks up.  The trailer will only be sitting unattended for a few days (a week at most)  from the time I leave it until when he comes to get it.
Is it a bad idea to have my trailer parked and resting on only it's tongue jack ?

HappyWanderer said:
There's no reason to ever lower the jacks while the trailer isn't is use.

I lower mine in the driveway just for added stability and Just in case the borderline tornado comes around, I feel it would hold it's ground better.

Ok I will comment on two things.
1: IF I were doing a major (Multi day) Hike i'd nto be doing a full unhook and set up every night. For sure I'd be leaving it hooked up for a "Quick Getaway" come the dawn (Well post breakfast anyway).

LEVEL as the one poster above said if it is not level turn off fridge.  Norcold says 3 degrees side to side and 6 Front to back.. I don't knwo which they mean by side to side (Trailer or Fridge) but.

for an 8 foot wheel base (Side to side) 3 degrees is about 5 Inches.

I would not be comfortable 5 inches off side to side.

Front to back .. Well you'd have to do the math since since I don't know the distance involved.    But 5 inches in 8 inches or if you want easier math 1 inch every 2 feet.

The Stabilizers are only there to keep the trailer steady and stable while it is occupied. I have stayed in ours overnight without the stabilizers down and it is safe but you feel the motion when someone walks ( or in my case, when I roll over in bed).

We have a fifth wheel and while travelling and we stop for the night, we stay hitched up and I usually just put down the front landing gear for a little support and takes a little weight off the truck tires. Don't know if it helps anything but i know it can't hurt. I do unplug the power cord. I don't want the chance of waking up to a dead battery in the truck and the trailer. Not that it will happen, just being cautious.

Back
Top Bottom