AC not working when powered from battery.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cjwils

Hello All. I am new to the forum and basically new to the RV life. Living in one full time as we build our home. We have a 2005 Coachman Spirit of America 24ft trailer. When hooked to shore power everything works fine. But when disconnected from shore power the Ac and Microwave dont work. I first thought it could be a fuse problem but then that would also be a problem when connected to shore also, right ? Any suggestions ? I am a country boy so please excuse my grammar and spelling. Thank You in advance.

You have to be connected to shore power to use the AC and microwave. Sounds like everything is working as it should.

It is very common .. You're Has 3 or 4 power systems (4 if it has an inverter)

1: The Chassis system. For a trailer this inludes the marker lights. tail/turn/stop and license plate lamps Back up if so equipped and brakes.. For a motor home delete electric brakes but add engine and so forth.

2: House 12 volt system.  Lights. Water pump. Jacks. Sliders. Furnace.  Fans. and control power for Fridge. Water heater and A/C.  Just the control power however not operartional power

3: 120 volt A. With out an inverter this is all the other stuff. Including A Converter or charger that recharges the batteries A/C.  And B:Microwave TV/Radio  Sat Receivers DVD/Blue Ray/CD players. audio systems...

4: IF you have an inverter... Depending on how big it is. Some of the "B" items above may be moved to the Inverter.  This inludes (b) TV/Radio/SAT and other electroincs "B" Microwave... and also in the "B" category if you have a RESIDENTIAL Fridge. add it.

But unless you have an inverter NOTHING 120 volt will work without shore or generator power.

NOTE: Big Inverters (mine is 2000 watts) take a lot of battery (About 200 amp hours per kilowatt. or one pair of GC-2 per kilowatt) I have over 500 hours of battery. 

Hammster said:
You have to be connected to shore power to use the AC and microwave. Sounds like everything is working as it should.

As Hammster says :))

But you also could power it up with a gas generator as well.  But that TT is not going to run an AC or Microwave, and if it has the typical single battery up front, will only run minimal lights and water pump a couple days at best.  Don't let it go dead or the refrigerator won't even be able to run on propane, it needs the battery to spark the flame.

:) :) :) :) :) :) Thank you all for your responses. That's actually good news to know its not broke.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aquaticvegetation
Back
Top Bottom