Route Advise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bob T

Retired for a week now and heading out a week today for warmer areas  :))
Plan to go out to Elkhart to get a wee repair done then turn south.
Few stops along the way as now we have time.
Just wondering if anyone could give me a heads up on the route we have planned.
Looking for any insight you might offer.
Restricted bridges, construction, storm damage, horrendous traffic, bad road conditions etc
Route is:
Elkhart to Muncie, In. US 33/16 to I-69
Muncie to Nashville. I-69
Nashville to Unidilla, Ga. I-40 to Atlanta then I-75 South
Unidilla to Ocala, Fla. I-75
From Ocala to Sebring I-75 to US 27/98

Many thanks in advance.

Bob

Is there a reason you want to go all the way to Nashville from Muncie? Why not drive to Cincinnati get on I-75 and follow that all the way to FL. If you just want to go to Nashville, then I would get on I-65 in IN and follow that to Nashville, get on I-24 to Chattanooga, and then I-75 to ATL and down to FL. Remember that the junction in Nashville (65/24)and Chattanooga (24/75) can be daunting. I would suggest that you may want to time your arrivals at these two places for anytime except 7AM to 9Am and 3:30 PM and 6PM. Especially in Chattanooga. It could take you an hour or more through Chatt at those times. I-75 is the main interstate from North to South in this area and can get very congested, especially coming from Nashville. Also, coming from Nashville you will have cross Mont Eagle. 6% inclines going and 6% to 8% coming down. That said, have a safe and happy trip.

Our experience has us taking rt 31 from Holland, Mi, through South Bend, In, and picking up I-65 in Indianapolis.  By taking I-65 versus I-75 you will find much less traffic, fewer major cities, and flatter terrain.
We usually take I-65 through Montgomery and Birmingham Al.  The road head south east from there and are divided highway and still lower traffic volume.  There are divided highway options for getting to I-75 in Georgia south of Atlanta or via I-10.

That's just what we have found...

If possible, try to hit Atlanta mid morning to early afternoon as suggested. Stay in the second lane from the right as there are a number of ?right lane exit onlys? and nobody is going to want to let you come over into their lane ahead of them.  Just take it easy, stick with the semis and don?t try to keep up with the traffic in the fast lanes. Also, don?t take the bypass?s. The traffic on them is just as bad and they are longer.  The traffic actually lets up a little on the downtown stretch due to lots of other vehicles getting on the bypass. Of course, it gets worse again down by the airport when everybody is merging back onto 75, but at least you?ll be prepared for it and hopefully it?ll let up by the time you get down to Macon. And do take the Macon bypass.

Back
Top Bottom