Fuel mixture for weed wacker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rene T

Site Team
I have a leaf blower and a chain saw and they both run on a fuel/oil mixture of 50:1.  I have a weed wacker and it runs on a 30:1 ratio. I have to keep 2 gas cans. Kinda a PITA.  Would it hurt the weed wacker if I run it with the 50:1 ratio. I know it would get better lubrication but I'm wondering if the plug would foul sooner.

Not necessarly. The trimmer is likely quite old if 30:1 is specified, oil technology has come a long way. I run my old saws (at least the ones I can start) on 50:1 using Stihl Ultra oil with no problems, my Homelite originally called for 16:1 but that was non detergent motor oil which was all we had at the time. You will need to fine tune the carburetor.

I just went outside and looked again. The weed wacker is 40:1. I'll change my question. Can I run the leaf blower and chain saw on a 40:1 ratio instead of 50:1?

40:1 is 3.2 ounces of oil per gallon, 50:1 is 2.6 ounces per gallon.  I wouldn't worry about +/- 0.6 ounces of oil per gallon, if they don't smoke excessively you're fine running the richer (40:1) mixture.

Lou Schneider said:
40:1 is 3.2 ounces of oil per gallon, 50:1 is 2.6 ounces per gallon.  I wouldn't worry about +/- 0.6 ounces of oil per gallon, if they don't smoke excessively you're fine running the richer (40:1) mixture.

Thanks Lou. That's what I was hoping. It will make it easier to just keep one fuel can instead of two.  I'll have to wait till next spring because all three are sort of winterized and put to bed for the winter. Winterized means I ran them dry of fuel so the carbs don't gum up over winter.

wackymac said:
Rene T---Are we going to have another mini-rally this coming January?

Most likely. Haven't got together with Ed yet to come up with a date.  We usually don't decide until sometime in late November or early December. 

Rene with the new PC gas gumming up everything I started using  the premixed stuff atTractor Supply. Have not had any problems.

jhskick said:
Rene with the new PC gas gumming up everything I started using  the premixed stuff atTractor Supply. Have not had any problems.
That works very well. It is pricey but for the amount most people use in a trimmer over the summer it's not going to break the bank.

I mix my stuff 50:1 and then the one item I have that takes 30:1 (the snowblower, lol)  if i need it, i fill the tank with 50:1 and add a few drops of 2 cycle oil straight in the tank. 

spencerpj said:
I mix my stuff 50:1 and then the one item I have that takes 30:1 (the snowblower, lol)  if i need it, i fill the tank with 50:1 and add a few drops of 2 cycle oil straight in the tank.

What's a snowblower?  ::) :eek: :-\ ;D

For all you SnowBirds, in case you really don't know what a snowblower is, this is what we do in the winter time when in rains below 32 degrees.
;) :eek: 8) ::) :-\

Attachments

• snowblower.JPG
    snowblower.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 13
spencerpj said:
For all you SnowBirds, in case you really don't know what a snowblower is, this is what we do in the winter time when in rains below 32 degrees.
;) :eek: 8) ::) :-\

Oh, I remember that now.  :'( :'( :'( :)( :)( :)(  Looks like fun. NOTTTTT

Just bought a kubota with loader mower deck and snow blower. Diesel no mixing. Sandwich fair Rene.

jhskick said:
Just bought a kubota with loader mower deck and snow blower.

Had a Kubota with the same setup with last house in PA, plus a salt spreader on the 3 point. Buddy kiddingly told me I probably had better equipment than the township  ;)  When that blower got a good mouthful it would really throw the snow, guessing 50-75'. Blower was made in Canada.

FYI- you cannot run a carburetor dry. The fuel bowl still holds fuel, you must drain the fuel bowl too.

Gasoline allowed to remain turns to varnish, which fouls out carburators. Alcohol (ethanol) is used to remove varnish. Burning ethanol blended gasoline helps prevent the build up of varnish. The bad rap comes from the switch over from 100% gas to the mix. As ethanol ran through the carb it started cleaning out the varnish, and that varnish plugged up the carbs. It wasn't the ethanol that caused the problem, it was the varnish build up from 100% gas people were using.

The best method for storing power tools is to add stabilizer treatment to the second to last tank of the season and run equipment like normal. Top off the gas tank and add more stabilizer for the winter. The gas will keep over the winter, even with ethanol in it. 

Ethanol is very hard on diaphragms, gaskets and fuel lines, they deteroriate very quickly. It is hygroscopic, attracts free water, and becomes quite coorosive. Most quality two stroke oils now have stabilizer added to them so more really doesn't do much good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom