Safety 1994 Monaco Dynasty

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LostinNebraska

I'm looking at a 1994 Monaco Dynasty. It seems well cared for and fairly well rehabbed. My question is how are they constructed for safety. does the bodywork have a steel safety cage?

I'm looking for actual answers in regard to what's under the interior trim, what holds up the roof?

In any motorhome the body (sidewalls and roof) just sits on the vehicle chassis and is basically bolted to it. Monaco always claimed they used a "semi-monocoque" design, but in my opinion that was mostly marketing hype.  "Semi-monocoque" is much like "partially pregnant".  If you are thinking in terms of a steel cage capable of withstanding a rollover, forget it. Whether it is a 1994 or 2014 model.

The main safety advantage in a diesel class A is that you are in a tall and chassis and a heavy vehicle.  The driver & passenger are seated well above most things you might run into and the vehicle frame underneath absorbs most of the impact.  Plus, a heavy vehicle can absorb a lot more momentum than a light one. It's like a 300 lb guy kicking a 1 lb football. He hardly notices the the impact, but the football flies 60 yards because of the energy imparted to it.  In any collision, the big guy always comes out better.

Back
Top Bottom