Which 1-ton (new) Truck?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Delaware RV

So, after some help from here, a few other forums, and fellow travelers - we are buying a new 1-ton truck.  I am not looking to rehash how we came to the 1-ton trim. We are also going diesel, not gas.  It will be a crew cab and full 8 ft long bed.

Now, I have driven all 3 trucks (Chevy, Ford, RAM) and just by feel of the truck while driving, I selected the Chevy or Ford.  The RAM just felt more utility (and this will not be a work truck for me) and the Cummins honestly felt a little sluggish. The feel of the Duramax and Powerstroke were relatively the same for me.  So I am deciding between the F350 Super Duty and the Chevy 3500HD. 

I am not asking for biased "well BLANK is just better" or "BLANK stinks" I am trying to ignore my own personal biases against Ford and try to just compare them as a mechanical device and the needs of my family.  We are a family of 5 (3 boys) and we travel with our Choc Lab most times too.  Right now our TT is a 25LX Prowler Lynx. No prob there at all.  But will will be upgrading the TT in the next 3 years to a much larger unit with 3 slides and almost 37" long. 

FORD F350:
Pros:  largest back seat space; Alum body - which allows for stronger frame; cheaper price in apples to apples line up; Higher towing capacities
Cons: MPG is lower then Chevy; My father-in-law will not let me park in the driveway (maybe a pro? haha)

Chevy 3500HD:
Pros: better MPG, Allison Transmission, Nice wireless charging pad for cell phone in center console;
Cons: Smaller back seat (by almost 6 inches); Lower towing capacity

So I am leaning towards the F350, Crew Cab, SRW, 8 ft bed in an XLT trim with some options added.  New 2019 is around $62k as selected. I just need to pull the trigger and order it. This will be my first Ford vehicle ever in my life. 

I've had both Chevy and Ford and they both have positives and negatives. I now have a Ford F-250 diesel and love it. I looked at both again and this one just felt right. They will both keep you going down the road and have about the same comfort level. Towing capacity and a better feel for this Ford is why I chose the Ford. I did not not want to go up to a 350. If I had wanted a 350/3500 then either would have suited me. The Ram has great towing but friends have had a Ram and loved it. Until it started going bad. And they seem to do that more than the Ford or Chevy. Personally, I believe you will be happy with either choice. BTW...the heavier the TT the more I would choose Ford. Other than that it would be a toss up for me. Also, I have had no problems with my diesel and that turbo is wonderful, especially in hills in the Smokey's. Good luck.

I likely would gravitate towards the Ford, and I drive a GMC.
The one thing that is a small concern is the potential issues with Galvanic Corrosion, aluminum and steel do not play and fasten nicely with each other.  If you are not aware, Google it.  A friend of mine says the first thing he would do is have it undercoated.  He is an insurance adjuster ans spends lots of time in body shops chatting with the boys.

I purchased a RAM 3500, and after approximately 50k miles had to replace all rotors and calipers due to rust at a cost of about $2,800. I think they used sub-standard quality metals to make these parts because I have never had to replace a caliper in my life. I did a bit of online searching, and there appear to be others with newer RAM trucks with similar problems.

I've always purchased the Cummins RAM in the past, but will not do so again because of this ridiculous quality problem.

After 17 chevs last year i bought a ford mostly because i liked the technology all led lights camera in the box when hooking up my 5er etc
My Ford has a3.55 rear and gets better milege than my friends 17 chev with the 3:73
With respect to the comment on the mixed metals all brands are niw mixing steel frames and aluminum body panels its just ford doing all aluminum.
I still love my chevys im just driving a ford for now. All 3 brands are good

For room, you are correct.  The Ford has 'em all beat.  Towing also.  This 2019 is my 4th F-250, 3rd with a diesel.  I'll be honest, I was very torn getting the new one.  My 2011 6.7L dropped a valve and took cylinders with it.  It only had 78K.  I was devastated.  I tried to look at the Chevy's (and like you, Dodge just was out of it).  And I looked, but I couldn't make myself comfortable with it.  Dad was a die hard Chevy guy, and always complimented me and my Fords.  But you wouldn't catch him dead driving one.  Anyway, I think you will be served well by the Ford.  I love mine, even with the bad experience of my 2011.  I'm going to chalk it up to being the first year engine, even though it wasn't one of the first runs.  I have to believe in 8 years they've fixed the little hiccups that lead to catastrophic failure.  I have to.

The classic answer is drive all three and get the one your wife likes best  ;D
Smart move going to a 1 ton.  It leaves more doors open for upgrades.

I have a F350 and tow a 15,500 GVWR  FW.  Hardly know it is back there, even up and down moderate central KY hills.

I suggest the Ford because of the larger back seat and higher towing capacity.  We have an ext cab - not crew cab - and made one 400 mile trip with 4 adults and a baby / car seat.  The back seat space was really tight.  With growing boys, you will really appreciate all the space you can get.

pz said:
I purchased a RAM 3500, and after approximately 50k miles had to replace all rotors and calipers due to rust at a cost of about $2,800. I think they used sub-standard quality metals to make these parts because I have never had to replace a caliper in my life. I did a bit of online searching, and there appear to be others with newer RAM trucks with similar problems.

I've always purchased the Cummins RAM in the past, but will not do so again because of this ridiculous quality problem.

I own a 2007 chevy half ton and had the same brake issues at ~30k and getting the right parts for replacement was a PITA as well. Seven different front calipers were used. The list of stuff that I've had to do to this truck in 11 years would have paid for at least half of a new truck and that is just parts, I can't imagine how much it would have cost me to have the work done.

grashley said:
The classic answer is drive all three and get the one your wife likes best  ;D

HAHA, this is almost exactly what I did.  I went to look at them all first, then took her to feel the Chevy and Ford (Ford last).  She is finally on board with a Ford. She had reservations because growing up her Dad and Uncle were all Chevy guys.

Wait 10-11 months and get the 2020 Chevy...major tech and convenience upgrades, plus the Duramax/Allison combo is rock solid.

Just ordered the F350 last night. Will be done in 10-12 week. 

Got a great deal and am happy with it.

I have a 07 F350 Dually King Ranch.
Love it. First ...well actually 2nd Ford.
My first was a 1947 PU I rebuilt. Wish I still had it.
Can't say I made to many good decisions back when I was 18. :-\

Oops...check that. My coach is a Ford.

I think you will be extremely happy with the Ford. I have a '17 250 diesel and love it. As for mileage I thought they did not publish MPG on the diesels to compare. My old F150 5.4L got around 14-15 MPG as a daily driver and the new diesel gets 17-18 on average. Also close to 11 while pulling my 9700lb TT as compared to 8.5-9 on the old gasser. The new 6.7 diesels are so quiet you can barely hear them while going down the road.
Good Luck  with the new purchase.

Well, I picked up the new F350 over the Holiday.  Love it so far!!

Attachments

• pic 4.jpg
    pic 4.jpg
    241.2 KB · Views: 52
That's sweet looking ride 8)...But then I'm a little bias...I've been driving Fords most of my life.

You really should have gone with the Chevy!!! Just kidding. Congrats. I'm green with envy.  ;)

Very cool.  What are the specs on it (trim, goodies, etc.)?  it's a great looking truck.  You're going to love driving it.

Must say, I'm jealous  ;).  Seriously, nice truck.  Should do about anything you want  :))

edjunior said:
Very cool.  What are the specs on it (trim, goodies, etc.)?  it's a great looking truck.  You're going to love driving it.

It is a 2019 F350 6.7L Diesel. XLT Trim with SRW and the CrewCab + 8ft bed (drop in liner).  Went for the longest wheelbase possible.  I added the Value Package, then just the skid plates and a center console/ front bucket seats.  Other then that, not other options.  Went the no-frills route to save money.  I might put on a secondary bypass oil filter, add a center console safe.

Right now we have a 25LX Prowler we tow.  But the goal is a new TT in the 34-38ft range in maybe 2-3 years as the kids get older. 

Back
Top Bottom