COLD snap: Should I worry??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jymbee

We want to get in one last trip before we winterize our Class A coach. We plan to leave our Upstate NY home in Thursday (3 days from today) morning and temps up to that point are in the low 40s. Wednesday night forecast is for temps to drop to high 20s and stay right around freezing or below until when we leave Friday morning. Headed West to Ohio which looks to put us in above freezing temps by mid day Friday

Questions is, how likely is it that the below freezing temps late Thursday & early Friday could cause us problems? Am I overly optimistic I figuring that it would take a more prolonged below stretch of freezing temps to be an issue?

You should not have to worry but to be safe just turn on the furnace and set to lowest temp will keep from freezing.

I hate to say you'll be okay, personally I would risk it, I'd keep am eye on the temps though.  I would think it would need low 20s for a few days to start freezing stuff.

With that said, my TT is in the driveway, and I did drain all the water and winterize. But I'm done for the year  :(

It really depends on how exposed things are on your RV, and the amount of wind.  Small diameter pipes (1/2 inch or so) can freeze in just a few hours of mid 20's F temperature if the wind is blowing hard.    For larger drain pipes, etc. you will probably be fine as long as they are filled with water as it takes longer for that much mass of water to freeze.

If you are only looking at 3-4 hours below freezing and only getting down to the upper 20's I suspect you would be safe even with exposed pipes, though running the furnace may be a good idea.

Wind chill has no effect on plumbing. It makes humans feel colder, but the air temperature is what matters.

HappyWanderer said:
Wind chill has no effect on plumbing. It makes humans feel colder, but the air temperature is what matters.

Exactly....the only thing that wind ?will? do, is bring the inanimate object temperature down to ambient temperature faster!

If the air temperature is below freezing, then yes wind can speed the rate that pipes freeze.  This can be a problem driving in freezing weather as in effect you have a 60 mph wind below the coach (this is more of an issue on rear engine coaches as there is no engine heat mixed in).

Like previously suggested, turn the furnace on the lowest setting and not worry about it. Whatever the cost to run the furnace will be minimal compared to repair costs, let alone postponing your trip.

sc4668 said:
You should not have to worry but to be safe just turn on the furnace and set to lowest temp will keep from freezing.

I'm feeling cautiously optimistic thanks to the input from all. Good idea running the furnace. That will also make it much more pleasant climbing in early Thursday when we depart!  :))

The furnace won't protect any exposed plumbing, which is really the only area that might freeze.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom