Slide won't move. Motor clicks and nothing now

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MartyB

I got a good one for you gang.
2014 Lifestyle Luxury.  3 slides.  2 normal size, 1 is 1/2 the length of the trailer.  The big one stop moving.  The 2 smaller ones move in and out no problem.  The big one moved about 2 inches.  I stopped it to check something and now it won't move.  I can hear the motor click once, then nothing.

Any ideas.  I don't have any pictures to show you.  I could draw a picture if I had to.

Not much to go on. The click is the rely in the slide controller closing. The lack of response suggests that either the motor has failed (low probability) or a connection to it is faulty, or maybe some interlock is preventing ti from engaging (have no idea what brand/type of slide mechanism you have).

Ok if the MOTOR clicks once when you push the button and again when you release the button... Motor burned out. This can happen if the slide controller is defective and/or switch stuck..    But that is a CLICK on push and a CLICK on release adn from the MOTOR not from the slide controller

Next is a CLICK CLICK on push.  THat could be the slide controller or a low battery. or a bad connection to the battery.. The following applies SPECIFICALLY to Power gear

THey do not use limit switches. they use current detection. when you fire it up it ignores the initial surge. the CLICK you hear is the magnetic brake release  THen it runs the motor when the slide hits end of travel the current ramps up and teh controller drops out.. Or when you release the button, and the brakes will ENGAGE (Click) 

Low battery voltage will cause current to increase.

A bad controller can do strange stuff as well.

Finally how to bring it in for ye old trip to shop..

Method one.. ON power gear on one end of the shaft (one gear shaft) should be a 3/4" hexnut.. Apply wrech. (Do not wrench yet just apply) Now go to motor and on the non-transmission end should be a rubber cap. under the cap (You can operate w/o removal) is a lever.. Manual brake release. Move it then wrench it in.

OR (Option 2) Release the brake and get like 3 or 4 strong men to push it in

SOME Other brands.. LIke Swienteck, and even some power gear modules. have multiple motors and if they get out of sync it won't move. I can not help you with those.

Are you plugged into shore power?  If the battery is low, shore power will (or should) charge the battery AND provide extra power for the slide motor.  Good Luck!

I don't know if Ill be able to get an actual picture this year or not.
Who made the slide?  I'm not sure.  I contacted Lippert and they said probably, but not 100%
Where are the slide interlocks? I wouldn't know where to look.
Where is the slide controller?  There is nothing near the motor.  Only 2 wires to the motor from above.
I believe source of power is good.  The smaller slides moved without a problem.  Wife tried again today with the truck plugged into the trailer.  Nothing.
There IS an interlock on on the bedroom door.  If the door is closed, the slide won't move.  It is working fine.  As far as  i can tell.
The fuses that I can find are OK.
Attached is a drawing I am making from memory

Attachments

• slide.jpg
    slide.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 25
Hi Marty. I can't help with your control board question, because I'm not familiar with your slide, but based on what you've described, here's how I'd proceed. First, I'd verify that nothing was physically interfering with the slide's travel. Then I'd ensure that there was enough voltage to operate the slide. Our full-wall slide is 28 feet long, and it has a LOT of weight in it. Even our eight deep cycle house batteries don't have enough power to move it in, or out. It'll fail every time if I try. I have to idle the engine, which is exactly what the owners manual says.

I doubt that plugging the trailer into your truck would make much of a difference - especially in the first few minutes, and even more so if the batteries are low. Most alternators don't produce enough amps, and/or the wire-run length and wire diameter of trailer wiring often isn't adequate to allow enough amps and voltage through in just a few minutes to power a heavy slide. They're usually adequate for keeping batteries topped off and slow charging, but little more.

The next thing I'd do is find the wires that go to the slide motor(s) and see if they were getting power when the In/Out buttons were pushed. It sounds like a relay is getting power, because you're hearing a clicking noise, but I'd want to verify that the motor itself was getting power. Don't crawl into the open area of the slide to measure the voltage at the motor - just in case it decides to start working. :)

Kev

Thanks Kevin
I'm almost positive it isn't a battery thing.  The other slides go in and out without problem.
No outside interference either.  The roof is clean and nothing on the sides are interfering.  Access to the motor
is no problem.  It is in the storage bay behind a panel.  Loads of room.  I just have to wait till nest week to
get to it.

Marty I have had two Cameo's and they are the same slides and frames. You most likely have a bad ground at the motor. You should be able to unzip the access and check that. There is a lot of help on the Carraige/Lifestyle forum for slides. I have replace a motor on that slide and they are still available.

When we were getting ready to leave on our last outing, the living room slide would not close.  After removing about 100+ pounds of stuff from under the dining table, it moved back in with no problem.  On the next 3 or 4 stops, the slide worked without a problem.  Then on our return last week, the slide would not move in.  I got out and gave it a push and it closed.  Don't know if the slide motor is about to fail, but I'd try pushing it before doing anything else. 

Thanks everyone for your input.  I was able to find something on the Carriage / Lifestyle owners forum.  It would appear it is a quite common occurrence on Lifestyle / Carriage 5th wheels.  I don't know if I can explain it.  I have some issues with understanding things, but I do have the fix.  I have to add a reversible solenoid and rewire a few things.  Thanks again for your input.  I will let you know in the spring if it actually works.

Back
Top Bottom