LP Tank fill valve replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dchellberg

I recently purchased a 1983 Transvan on a Chevy chassis. It has a Manchester lp tank Model S-10950. The fill valve is the original and the LP dealer won?t refill it until it has been fitted with the new style valve. The original is a Sherwood-Selpac 1 1/4? Acme CGA-510. I?ve made a number of inquiries to no avail. Please help.

Is that a ASME fixed tank or a removable DOT bottle? And if a bottle, vertical of horizontal mount?  I don't think he has any grounds to demand an upgrade of an ASME spec fixed tank, but the DOT bottle probably needs re-certification anyway at that age.

Looked around a bit and that appears to be a horizontal mount, 20# DOT bottle. I THINK this is the part you need, but you should verify it will fit:
https://rvpartshop.com/product/lp-gas-products/51629-manchester-tank-20-horizontal-lp-opd-valve-v20691-1-v206911.html

The Manchester S-10950 is an ASME tank. The dealer is likely aware that your 1983 tank was manufactured prior to Jan 1, 1984 and does not have the 80% Stop Fill Valve (OPD) required after that date and current standard 1-3/4" ACME fill valve thread. The ASME OPD is not the same as the combined service valve/OPD used on DOT cylinders, but serves the same purpose of course. It does not replace the Fixed Liquid Level Gauge ("spitter valve") as the primary 80% full fill indicator, but serves as backup to it. I haven't found any requirement for updating a pre-1/1/84 ASME tank, but all ASME tanks are subject to a refiller's visual inspection and can be rejected if does not meet the safety standards.

I found a picture of the #S-10950 and I think NY Dutch is right that it is a fixed mount ASME spec tank. If so, the filler valve I referenced above is NOT the proper one.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom