RV extention cords

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sweetfarm

Hi There, I am new to rv ownership and this forum. I recently purchased 2 35 foot travel trailers from craigslist and am hoping to work on them over the winter. They are parked in my yard about 150 feet away. From hat I've learned on the internet this is a pretty controversial topic, but my question is...
Would I be ok if I used the 50 ft cord coming off the trailer, dogboned it down from 30 amps to 15, and ran a 100 ft 10 gauge 15 amp extension cord if I am ONLY going to use a couple of lights? I want to be VERY clear that I have NO intention of running ANYTHING else. No microwaves, heaters, etc...

Thanks! Erica

Yes, just remember the longer the cord the less power you can draw out of it.

Here is a chart that should give you an idea of what side cord you need to reach X number of feet up to 200 feet http://www.diybyexample.info/2010/07/what-size-extension-cord-do-i-need/

One thing to be careful about is the condition of the outlet you are plugging into, many household outdoor outlets are in less than perfect condition, have loose prongs, or corrosion build-up which can cause them to overheat at well below their rated level.    If in doubt it may be a good idea to replace the outlet.

p.s. the chart shows at 150 feet a 10 gauge extension cord is good for 10-12 amps, so roughly 1,100 - 1,200 watts.  For comparison a modern CF or LED light bulb draws under 15 watts,  with an LED it would be well under.  A typical office cube heater draws about 750 watts on low and 1,500 watts on high.

Thank you Isaac! Great chart great news. I am planning on plugging it into a receptacle on my porch which is OK. The plug coming out of the RV on the other hand is old and tired and I plan on replacing that. One last question...my heat is propane do you think it would be possible to run the heater here and there to take the chill out of the air If I go with 100 foot of 10 gauge wire? I can look in to approximately how much power  the blower would use.

Sweetfarm said:
Thank you Isaac! Great chart great news. I am planning on plugging it into a receptacle on my porch which is OK. The plug coming out of the RV on the other hand is old and tired and I plan on replacing that. One last question...my heat is propane do you think it would be possible to run the heater here and there to take the chill out of the air If I go with 100 foot of 10 gauge wire? I can look in to approximately how much power  the blower would use.

The furnace in your rig(s) should only be 12V and propane. The 110V would only come into play to power the converter that can keep the batteries charged which would be good for the 12V you need for the furnace. But, you don't need 110V to run the furnace.

As mentioned typical RV propane heaters are powered off the DC batteries, which your converter would try to recharge if it were plugged in.  Typically these heaters draw less  than 150 watts to power the blower.    Of course your converter may draw more than this when recharging batteries, though in general I think you will be ok, as only the largest converters draw over 10 amps when in bulk battery charge mode.    Most are typically in the 5-8 amp range, though to know for sure you would need to check the model of your converter, and the current level of charge.

This is all good news. Thanks guys, I really appreciate it. Electricity is not my strong suit, but I think I've "got it"!

Just the converter (if it is a decent oner leaver it plugged in all winter) draw 1-10 amps depending on how many batterie and how hungry  You have a couple amps of "parasitic" draw from stuff.. Your Furnace runs off the converter so it is included in that 1-20 amp

You can safely use 14 ga at 10 amps. heaver wire works better for long runs.

Microwave. another 10 amps.. A/C around 11-13 running you don't' wanna know starting Fridge about 3 amps. Water heater 12.  Those are round figures

Welcome to the Forum!

For what you plan to use, a 10 Ga cord should supply both campers with all the power you plan to use.  In fact, a small electric heater in the camper you are working on (just one heater!) should be fine as well.  The camper furnace should heat the camper with no problems, but they do like to drink Propane!  If the water systems are winterized, heat is only for your comfort, anyway.

As you get into the renovation / restoration, you will have many more questions.  Please ask.  We are here to help!

One thing I do to take the chill out while I am in the TT for a short period of time is fire up the 3 burner stove. I throws off a ton of heat and I know some will say I am a little crazy for doing so but we use the stove daily for cooking and never give it a thought. You can crack a window for a little fresh air to circulate.

Using the stove for a moderate amount of time is no worry, but several hours or overnight could result in oxygen depletion inside. If you need to do more than take the chill off and shutting it down, open a windon or vent a little, just to be safe.

Thanks everyone! I just noticed these last comments. I just figured out how to get notifications. I ordered 12 g extention cords, a dogbone and a new 30 amp plug. They should be here today.  :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cakes09
Back
Top Bottom