RV Refrigerator?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lhemrick

Can an RV frig be turned off when not in use or is it best to remain plugged up? Thanks!

lhemrick said:
Can an RV frig be turned off when not in use or is it best to remain plugged up? Thanks!

Depends. I usually shut mine off unless I'm going to be using it the following weekend. Others  leave it on all the time. 24/7.
If you do decide to shut it off, make sure you leave the doors open a little to prevent mold from starting.

As mentioned expect it to take 12-24 hours to cool back down after being turned off in warm weather.

I leave mine on and full of beer/Ice, also leave the AC on to keep down humidity and a great place to get away (my inner sanctum)

Isaac-1 said:
As mentioned expect it to take 12-24 hours to cool back down after being turned off in warm weather.

Turning the AC on would probably help if it is summer.

I am not sure just how much cooler an RV refrigerator can be than the surrounding air but I find that I can not get it cool at all when plugged into electric during the day in the Arizona summers. If the air temperature itself were not bad enough there is also the effect of an enclosing metal body sitting in the sun.

During the summer months I can only get it to cool down at night when the temperature drops to the mid 90s and there is no sun baking the RV.

MikeFromMesa said:
Turning the AC on would probably help if it is summer.

I am not sure just how much cooler an RV refrigerator can be than the surrounding air but I find that I can not get it cool at all when plugged into electric during the day in the Arizona summers. If the air temperature itself were not bad enough there is also the effect of an enclosing metal body sitting in the sun.

During the summer months I can only get it to cool down at night when the temperature drops to the mid 90s and there is no sun baking the RV.

It's the outside air temperature, not the RV's interior temperature that stops the refrigerator cooling.

At normal temperatures, the hot coils behind the refrigerator set up a chimney effect.  The warmed air rises, carrying off the refrigerator's heat through the roof vent while drawing in cooler replacement air from the lower outside vent.

When the outside air gets hot, the air circulation breaks down as the coils aren't hot enough compared to the outside air to set up the thermosyphon and the heat remains trapped behind the refrigerator.

A small muffin fan set up to blow air upwards past the coils will do a lot to keep the refrigerator running in hot weather.  Or you could set up a small clip-on fan in the lower hatch to do the same thing as a trial.

Back
Top Bottom