Heading South, storing camper for 3+ months.. advice!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tanglemoose

We are finally doing this planned trip! Last winter driving Montana to the South was not pretty and quite a challenge. So, this year, we are leaving this week, driving until they don't ever have snow shovels.. Playing for a few weeks then storing our 26' camper till February.

Never have done this... suggestions? We are thinking of removing batteries, not a hard chore, we do have solar, but think life will be extended that way.. will bring home to the warm room on the battery tender...

Anything else? will be parked outside, in Nevada. Have tire covers we have never used and a AC silver looking cover, never used.

The storage place is secured, owner lives on site with motion cameras and cameras.. so feel good about that.

Do you leave can goods and food or worry about mice?

Thanks, Donna

GOOD NEWS  No need to winterize  ;D

I would leave the batteries since you have solar to keep them charged.
Drain the water heater to prevent algae growth?
Empty fridge and leave it open a bit to prevent mold
I would leave NO FOOD except canned goods or food stored in metal storage cans.
I would also place a Bucket trap in the camper on general principle.
Tire covers sound like a good idea there!

We had to winterize... our weather flipped from fall to winter... but better safe than sorry.  Curious if we dump before storing, why add water to toilet??

Bucket for critters good idea. Do you use food in bottom or just water to drown them???

tanglemoose said:
Curious if we dump before storing, why add water to toilet??

I'm guessing because you won't get all the black tank spotless and keep odor out.  Since I winterize, I just leave some pink RV in toilet, seems to not evaporate.

A trick to minimize evaporation is, put a small quirt of cooking oil, any kind, on top of water in toilet, creates a barrier and it slows down evaporation.

As far as the bucket, Google "mouse bucket trap". Where there's a chance of freezing,  I would put pink antifreeze in the bucket. About 4" deep. 
If there's any danger of the water evaporating in the traps or toilet, just put a teaspoon of vegetable oil down there. The water will not evaporate. I do it at my home when I head to FL for 6 months and when I come back, the traps and toilets still have water in them. 
Take a look at the test I did using vegetable oil:

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,88969.msg801468.html#msg801468

Weather at this time is still a bit.... strange. So unless you are driving to South America I'd still blow the lines out and drain the water heater. if not a full winterization. I've frozen in Texas and S.E. Ga (just 50 miles from FL) I've been below freezing in FL as well.  So I'd still blow the lines out.

The bait in my bucket trap is peanut butter on an empty soda bottle, on a wire across the top of the bucket.  Water and / or pink in the bucket.  I have caught two already this week.

The water or pink or oil in the toilet is to  1. prevent odors and  2. keep seals moist.

Thanks everyone, the bucket is packed and one in the house! Never heard about drains drying out, oil interesting idea... will try that!

We have a AC silver reflective cover that I found today, have never used it.. anyone use one? I am afraid if we store and put it on that it might blow off even with straps with Nevada winds...

thoughts?

We put saran wrap over toilet and antifreeze still there after 6 months (indoor storage though) and it stops seal drying out. Will consider veg oil, thanks Rene.

It was 20mph winds in Vegas the other day if that helps you decide on AC cover.

My wife puts an open can of coffee in the refrig then closes the door.  No problems so far.

Also, what about power jack, does anyone cover in winter or during storage. Saw someone camping one time and they covered while camping???

Get 5oo hot if covered?

tanglemoose said:
Also, what about power jack, does anyone cover in winter or during storage. Saw someone camping one time and they covered while camping???

Get 5oo hot if covered?
When I had a TT I had an electric tongue jack.  I did not cover the first one.  I covered its replacement and never had a problem again.

johnaye said:
When I had a TT I had an electric tongue jack.  I did not cover the first one.  I covered its replacement and never had a problem again.

Did you cover while going down highway 9r just parked?

I keep mine covered with this
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CGQHYA4/ref=sxts_kp_bs_1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=8778bc68-27e7-403f-8460-de48b6e788fb&pd_rd_wg=x2sQV&pf_rd_r=ET8BJNE4ECACA30PCHF8&pf_rd_s=desktop-sx-top-slot&pf_rd_t=301&pd_rd_i=B01CGQHYA4&pd_rd_w=WuDtk&pf_rd_i=power+jack+cover&pd_rd_r=f4e36179-29e9-4aa1-99d4-025159ffaf1a&ie=UTF8&qid=1540468927&sr=1

Keeps rain, and freezing rain / ice off it and the switches
Keeps little hands from pressing buttons when the shouldn't be  :eek:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awiltzius
Back
Top Bottom