Removing bed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Allisfaith

Hi guys my name is Allisfaith and I just joined.  I have yet to put up my introduction however I want to brainstorm with others who have more experience than I do. 

I have a RV with a slide out in the master bedroom. I?d like to take the built-in bedframe out all together. Can this be done?  This would make the room one big closet/sitting area/bathroom - a boudoir as the French would say.  (My bed is in a different location obviously). I?m customizing my fifth wheel.

Can a bed frame in a slide out be removed without destroying it?

Thanks for your time and be on the look out for my intro!

Welcome.
If your removing it, why do you care what condition it is in when removed?
Honestly, the $40 in plywood or particle board the frame is made from isn't worth salvaging. Best you can hope fore is minimal damage and repurpose the remaining good pieces into shelving or something.

Hanr3 said:
Welcome.
If your removing it, why do you care what condition it is in when removed?
Honestly, the $40 in plywood or particle board the frame is made from isn't worth salvaging. Best you can hope fore is minimal damage and repurpose the remaining good pieces into shelving or something.

I agree but I wonder if the OP could have been talking about possibly destroying the slide out.  :eek: ??? ::) :-\

Keep in mind the mechanism for moving the slide is just below the bed so if the idea is to have a flat floor living space, that is not likely to happen without also removing the mechanism and replacing the flooring there.

Alfa38User said:
Keep in mind the mechanism for moving the slide is just below the bed so if the idea is to have a flat floor living space, that is not likely to happen without also removing the mechanism and replacing the flooring there.

Agree Stu for the most part on a typical slide out mechanism but take mine for instance. They are cable operated and the cables are external to the slide out and are hidden behind the slide out box flange which makes the seal when the slide out is opened all the way. My electric motor is on top of the slide out inside the RV.

I suspect my slide is similar to Rene.  The mechanism is under the bed, but removing the bed base from the hinge (for under bed storage) to the end, and removing the support box would NOT affect the slide operation in any way.  However, the slide mechanism would be partially exposed and how to hide / protect it would be a part of the redesign.

In my FW at least, it is entirely possible to remove the bed and repurpose the room and still have a slide.

Thank you guys for taking the time to respond, I learn so much from you guys.  I have a Peterson Excel 33? 2007.  I want to keep the bed parts for when it?s time to resell but keep the slide and thought that would make a nice little cove for a couch.  The slides pistons(Not sure if that is the right word). All the mechanisms are under the slide.  The bed frame itself has a piston to hold the top open.  There is a piano hinge from the top board to the slide out.  The base board, that all the junk I store sits on,  has two layers which I?m unsure what I?ll find under there...maybe a steel support with rollers?  It appears to have carpet benieth that...

I?m sure I could disassemble it...would parts be too big to get out the door?  Big question is...could I put it back together again...would it be worth it? Would you do it?  Now it?s a closed off space.. unused.

Again speaking of my FW, I think the mattress and bed frame top would easily go out the door, with the associated hardware.  I THINK the box should come up fairly easily.  I suspect it is a simple 2x2 wood frame with thin luan on both sides, and can come out and be stored or replaced easily as well.  I do not believe anything is too big to slide out the door.

Come resale time, I can not believe there would be much interest in the RV WITHOUT that bed in place!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom