rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Weed legal in Canada today  (Read 579 times)

Hfx_Cdn

• ---
Weed legal in Canada today
« on: October 17, 2018, 03:10:02 PM »
     Come on up, but expect long line ups.  They are saying it is going for between $6 and $8 per ounce Canadian, that's about $4.50 to $6 US.  Here is the write up from the National Post:  https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/cannabis-legalization

Ed
Ed & Donna
Winter-Pinellas Park FL, Summer- Maritime Canada
2000 Coachmen Catalina 34' DP (owned 2004 to 2015)
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad

Arch Hoagland

• ---
  • Clovis CA
Re: Weed legal in Canada today
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, 03:26:50 PM »
I wonder how that is going to affect the time getting back into the United States.

We went to the Canadian side of Niagara Falls a few years ago and waited a half hour in line at the border coming back into the U.S.

2004 Monaco La Palma 36 DBD
W22, 8.1 gas,  Allison 1000 Transmission
7.1 MPG over 90,000 miles

2000 Lexus RX300, 4020lb
U.S. Gear Braking System

Roy M

• ---
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 05:26:33 PM »
It would be very risky trying to take it back to the states. Besides, there are no legal outlets as of yet in Ontario.

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2018, 07:51:29 AM »
Thought I replied to this may have been elsewhere

As Roy said if you come back into the US into a state where it is NOT yet legal you may find yourself a guest of the goverment for a period of time.

Michigan votes on it next month. I have no idea how the vote will turn out and wont till Nov 7 at the earliest.  I"m not sure if ANY border state allows recreational Weed at this time.

On edit: I found my earlier response.. IT was elsewhere. not here.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 05:32:57 PM by John From Detroit »
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Good things are illegal immoral or over 1000 watts
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2018, 08:15:45 AM »
Washington state allows recreational pot.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
Favorite 2017 shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/y0HbMU5KYa2hx02E3
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7
My Grand Canyon shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nc1AT8tQp25wJwfm1

Optimistic Paranoid

• ---
  • On the Road to Come What May
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2018, 08:32:54 AM »
I don't think it really matters whether any of the border states have "decriminalized" marijuana or not.  The states don't run the borders, the Federal Government does.  The Federal Government still considers it illegal, and if the Feds catch you trying to bring it back across the border, they can certainly bring Federal charges of smuggling as well as possession of a controlled substance against you.
Rule #1 for Boondockers: DON'T FEED THE VULTURES!
My Body is a Temple!  Ancient, Crumbling, Probably Cursed...
I don't like to make advanced plans.  They cause the word "PREMEDITATED" to get used in court!

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2018, 08:36:47 AM »
I don't think it really matters whether any of the border states have "decriminalized" marijuana or not.  The states don't run the borders, the Federal Government does.  The Federal Government still considers it illegal, and if the Feds catch you trying to bring it back across the border, they can certainly bring Federal charges of smuggling as well as possession of a controlled substance against you.

Good point. Might have to find a remote area at the border, throw your pot across and then claim you found it on the US side.
Retired Air Force
2016 Winnie Drop
2016 Nissan Frontier
1952 Wife

sightseers

• ---
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2018, 10:11:25 AM »
Weed has been de-criminalized in every west coast state from Canada down to Mexico.

Why would you ever want to bring any across the border ?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 12:05:28 PM by sightseers »

Bill and Debbie

• ---
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2018, 11:58:58 AM »
     Come on up, but expect long line ups.  They are saying it is going for between $6 and $8 per ounce Canadian, that's about $4.50 to $6 US.  Here is the write up from the National Post:  https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/cannabis-legalization

Ed

I believe that pricing is for GRAMS not Ounces. Most pot on the West Coast retails from $7.00-$13.00 per gram

At least that's what I've been told....LOL
William Bonsell
Poulsbo, WA

2010 CT Coachworks Siena 35V
1999 Cherokee Sport with Roadmaster Falcon 5250

Hfx_Cdn

• ---
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2018, 12:08:02 PM »
    Good catch Bill, since I don't use I was going from memory of what the paper reported, and these days my memory is not what it used to be.

Ed
Ed & Donna
Winter-Pinellas Park FL, Summer- Maritime Canada
2000 Coachmen Catalina 34' DP (owned 2004 to 2015)
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad

sightseers

• ---
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2018, 12:13:28 PM »
Standing in line at a border crossing is no laughing matter.....unless you just left the Pot shop  ;)

catblaster

• ---
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2018, 12:20:00 PM »
   Drug sniffing dogs wont look on the roof of an RV, near the satellite dish, under the dome, taped to the underside.........so I've heard
Will and Jane
95 Winnebago Luxor

sightseers

• ---
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2018, 12:26:03 PM »
The way the Cartels get around the dogs at the Mexican border, 

as you are standing in line those kids that wash your windows for money spray your car with Marijuana scented water and the dogs hit on every single car.

Criminals are smart.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 12:28:31 PM by sightseers »

Joezeppy

• ---
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2018, 12:59:21 PM »
I went to college about a half hour from the Canadian border and we would frequently head up there since the drinking age was 19 vs. 21. One time I was the DD but was driving my buddy's car. While waiting in line to get back to the US he opens the glove box, pulls out a bag of weed and says "oh, guess I should have left that home, huh?" When we got to the booth, the officer asked a few customary questions and when he realized I was stone cold sober with a car full of drunks, he laughed and basically waived us through. Never took that friend to Canada with me ever again.
Joe & Kim
Upstate NY - Kuyahoora Valley
2010 GMC Sierra 2500HD - 6.0L
2017 Keystone Hideout 295BHS
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum 5th wheel hitch

Lou Schneider

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2018, 01:13:51 PM »
My nephew became seriously ill last year when he went from an occasional joint to daily marijuana usage after pot became legal in California.  Constant vomiting, headaches, back pain, disabling stomach cramps, etc. 

He thought it was stress related since he was in the middle of moving his family from Indio to rural property in central California.  But when he sought medical attention after suffering for several weeks, he was told the tipoff that marijuana was the cause was the only thing that would relieve his abdominal pain was a long, hot bath or shower.

At his doctor's urging, he stopped using pot and it all went away.

It's called cannabinoid hyperemesis syndrome and is only now gaining attention with the legalization and increased use of marijuana.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 01:44:33 PM by Lou Schneider »

Charlie 5320

• ---
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2018, 09:36:16 PM »
My nephew became seriously ill last year when he went from an occasional joint to daily marijuana usage after pot became legal in California.  Constant vomiting, headaches, back pain, disabling stomach cramps, etc. 

He thought it was stress related since he was in the middle of moving his family from Indio to rural property in central California.  But when he sought medical attention after suffering for several weeks, he was told the tipoff that marijuana was the cause was the only thing that would relieve his abdominal pain was a long, hot bath or shower.

At his doctor's urging, he stopped using pot and it all went away.

It's called cannabinoid hyperemesis syndrome and is only now gaining attention with the legalization and increased use of marijuana.
When I was dating my late wife in 1980, some of her friends used it quite often. We were at a party one summer evening and the guys brought out the weed, and coaksed me into trying it. Wasn't long and I had disabling stomach cramps, I was doubled up laying on the floor. Thought I was going to have to go to the hospital. Couple of the guys were laughing until they realized I wasn't joking. It did the same thing the second and last time I ever tried it. That's one thing I never spent any money on.

2003 National Dolphin 5320
496  8.1  Workhorse

98 Damon Daybreak 3130
GM Vortech 454  4L80E
SOLD

Bill N

• ---
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2018, 07:16:36 AM »
Weed is still illegal federally so it is illegal to try to bring it across the border regardless of the state law.  You and your weed will be refused entry even if the weed is disposed of.  Could cause some thorny problems but don't look for national legalization any time soon.

Bill
Bill & Joan N in Missouri
USAF (Ret - 1961-1981)
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 35U
Workhorse W22, 8.1L Chevy V8
2013 Chevy Sonic Toad
Furbearers:  Heidi-17(Forever), Cats: Grace-11.5 & Squeak-6.5, Winnie the ShihTzu - 20 mos

Optimistic Paranoid

• ---
  • On the Road to Come What May
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2018, 08:32:30 AM »
Interestingly enough, the demand is so high in Canada that they pretty much sold out of product on the first day:

https://www.unilad.co.uk/drugs/canada-sold-out-of-weed-on-day-one-of-legalisation/
Rule #1 for Boondockers: DON'T FEED THE VULTURES!
My Body is a Temple!  Ancient, Crumbling, Probably Cursed...
I don't like to make advanced plans.  They cause the word "PREMEDITATED" to get used in court!

Sprucegum

• ---
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2018, 09:25:36 AM »
It was only a high demand in relation to a poorly organized supply - it was controlled by the government  ::)
2014 Navion 24V on Mercedes Sprinter Chassis (SOLD)
Ready to roll after 9 years camping in one spot
F-150 TV
Shasta Revere 25BH

sightseers

• ---
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2018, 09:30:43 AM »
Weed is still illegal federally so it is illegal to try to bring it across the border regardless of the state law.  You and your weed will be refused entry even if the weed is disposed of.  Could cause some thorny problems but don't look for national legalization any time soon.

Bill

Why would you try to bring any weed over the border ?

according to this map it's already legal in 1/2 the states bordering on Canada.

Charlie 5320

• ---
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2018, 10:22:26 AM »
Recreational weed is NOT legal in Illinois, yet. One candidate is running on making it legal  though. He won't get my vote.
2003 National Dolphin 5320
496  8.1  Workhorse

98 Damon Daybreak 3130
GM Vortech 454  4L80E
SOLD

garyb1st

• ---
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2018, 10:47:44 AM »
Make it legal in the US.  I think the benefits outweigh the negatives.  The big one is the hit to the pocket books of organized crime.  Then there are the tax revenues to the Fed and States.  Personally I don't think it's any worse than alcohol.  It could well be poison to some users.  But then, so is alcohol.  Another big one is the reduction in crime.  Make it available to users who can't afford to pay for it and reduce the number of break-ins and petty theft.  Also the expense of policing and incarcerating users likely outweighs the expense of providing a few joints, health care and maybe a bit of psychological help to users. 

Gary B1st

2005 Pace Arrow 35G
2016 Jeep Wrangler

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

sightseers

• ---
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2018, 12:52:03 PM »
Make it legal in the US.  I think the benefits outweigh the negatives.  The big one is the hit to the pocket books of organized crime.  Then there are the tax revenues to the Fed and States.  Personally I don't think it's any worse than alcohol.  It could well be poison to some users.  But then, so is alcohol.  Another big one is the reduction in crime.  Make it available to users who can't afford to pay for it and reduce the number of break-ins and petty theft.  Also the expense of policing and incarcerating users likely outweighs the expense of providing a few joints, health care and maybe a bit of psychological help to users.

Well said.

sightseers

• ---
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2018, 01:03:08 PM »
Recreational weed is NOT legal in Illinois, yet. One candidate is running on making it legal  though. He won't get my vote.

If Med m/j is legal,  then Recreational weed use is already well in play.

The medical requirements are just another bureaucratic enforcement joke.

All you do is tell some old washed up old doctor (probably was a chiropractor) that you have anxiety,  and hand him $50 for a 8x11 letter with his stamp and signature and that covers you for a year of recreational use. ( or... for an additional $10 you get the laminated wallet sized card  ??? )

you are worrying for nothing.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 01:12:54 PM by sightseers »

Sprucegum

• ---
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2018, 01:10:25 PM »
 Another big one is the reduction in crime.  Make it available to users who can't afford to pay for it and reduce the number of break-ins and petty theft.

I can't afford T-bone steak every day but I don't steal bicycles so I can Ö. giving thieves what they want in hopes they will not steal from you is just wrong.
2014 Navion 24V on Mercedes Sprinter Chassis (SOLD)
Ready to roll after 9 years camping in one spot
F-150 TV
Shasta Revere 25BH

PJ Stough

• ---
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2018, 02:10:10 PM »
How many people have heard someone say, "I would like to smoke pot, but it is illegal, so I wont"?  My belief is that almost everyone who want to smoke pot is, so making it legal will only bring it our of the shadows.

Also, if more people only knew how many people smoke pot, but have no idea that they do, they would be really surprised.

If we in this country really wanted to reduce drug use(including alcohol), we would put a lot more effort in to mental health diagnosis and treatment.
PJ Stough   Iowa
2005 Winnebago Voyage 38J

sightseers

• ---
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2018, 02:44:48 PM »
Alcohol use (or abuse) started in about 2700 BC.   

No one really remembers the first use (or abuse) of Marijuana (humor;).

but technically..  "Abuse"..  of anything,  including food,  is a mental health issue.   

and the definition of abuse is subjective.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 02:54:25 PM by sightseers »

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2018, 04:03:25 PM »
Another big one is the reduction in crime.  Make it available to users who can't afford to pay for it and reduce the number of break-ins and petty theft.

I can't afford T-bone steak every day but I don't steal bicycles so I can Ö. giving thieves what they want in hopes they will not steal from you is just wrong.

Studies have shown that crime has been reduced where medical and recreational marijuana is legal. That being said, the reduction in crime should not be a prevailing factor for legalizing marijuana. It should be legal because itís just the right thing to do. I havenít heard any good reasons not to legalize marijuana.
Retired Air Force
2016 Winnie Drop
2016 Nissan Frontier
1952 Wife

Dragginourbedaround

• ---
  • I look out the window and see trees, I'm camping
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2018, 04:13:32 PM »
Make it legal in the US.  I think the benefits outweigh the negatives.  The big one is the hit to the pocket books of organized crime.  Then there are the tax revenues to the Fed and States.  Personally I don't think it's any worse than alcohol. 
I agree with you, but so far the data doesnít support that theory. When I was in Colorado last summer legalized marijuana cost more than from a drug dealer. Probably because itís so heavily taxed. And crime has risen since the legalization of marijuana.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/20/us/colorado-marijuana-and-crime/index.html
Gene

2013 Winnebago Adventurer 37F
2011 Honda Fit