Brake problems with a Ram 3500

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pz

I own a Ram 3500 with barely 50k miles, and recently went to the dealer because of a brake squealing problem. There was (in my opinion) excessive brake dust on the front wheels, worse on the right than the left. What a shock when I was called and was told that I needed to replace all rotors and calipers! I've never had to replace calipers in my life. At first I thought the dealer was just trying to scam me for repairs, but I  insisted on seeing the parts and speaking to the mechanic. The mechanic asked me if I was from the northeast, or from Canada because they had never seen such rust (I live in Idaho, and they were surprised). He told me that he had to use a sledge hammer to remove the brake parts and showed me the parts which clearly indicated hammer marks.

Evidently the caliper pistons were so rusted that they would not retract properly and kept the pads pressed against the rotors which resulted in extreme heat damage to the pads (explains the loss of nearly 2 MPG).  The bill was nearly $2800.00

I've searched the Internet and found that I'm not the only one with this kind of issue.  At this point I'm thinking that it is either poor quality metals used in the construction of the parts, or very poor design. Anyone else with a problem like this? I love the Cummins which is why I'm on my second one, but with an expensive repair like that, I'll not choose Ram again.

Interesting post, I was promoting Ram trucks as of late because of the Cummins and interior comforts, but I continue to hear these 'lack of quality' reports.

At least you're solid again, and brakes are not a category to skimp on.  I put new OEM GM brakes and rotors on my Yukon yesterday.  I did the work myself, and thankful I could.

I hope the parts last this time, and I'll be sure to check frequently. I really like the 6.7L Cummins and think it one of the best diesel options available. My last Cummins was an old 1996 12-valve, and it was a great truck - only had 120K miles on it when I gave it to my son, and never had any kind of brake part issue. I would hate to leave the Cummins but will definitely do so if this kind of problem returns.

That seems odd to me, my 2005 250 ctd with over 200,000 miles (originally sold in the U.S.) has had the brakes done once. It spent it's first ten years exposed to salt air yet corrosion has not been a problem.

Back
Top Bottom