Gen set swap Kohler to Onan, worth it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BigNormitasca

I currently have a Kohler 4kw gen set in my 1976 Itasca class c.  I recently had an older onan gen set come into my possession.  Their identical specs. Both 4kw 33.3amp and both gas. Is there any advantages to doing this swap?  Parts availability or gph fuel usage ?  Both generators run great.

That is a tough question. I don't have time to research the fuel consumption on both of them but I doubt it is that different. Unless you have major houers on the one installed and the outher is low hours I don't see a benefit to swapping.
I am shure you will get lots of opinions but that is my take on it. ;)
Bill

If the onan is a pre emerald series you'd be better off with the Kohler. Those older onans was hard on points and condensers, at least the 2 I had were. I used them a lot and had to change points at least once a year to keep them running right. Seems like they used more fuel than the later ones too. They also used the windings in the generator to start the engine, and all connections and brushes have to be clean. Maintenance on the older onans was a pain, just my opinion.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom