Bar harbor Maine area

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dragline

Planning our spring trip to Arcadia NP for hiking, already have reservations for camping at Narrows too, will be in the area for 7 days and am interested in towns or recommendations of places to visit from members experiences, our main purpose is to explore/hike Arcadia and have a fresh lobster dinner (or two) but I would like to do some exploring of the area as well. Thanks To All

You will probably want to visit the Schoodic Peninsula, which also contains a segment of the Acadia Park. It's across the bay from the My Desert Island and the main park.

https://acadiamagic.com/schoodic/

Visit the island villages of Southwest Harbor and Northeast Harbor. Use the Island Explorer bus service - its free and reliable!

https://acadiamagic.com/contents.html#gen_info

There is a good "lobster pound" right across the highway from the Narrows Too entrance, i.e. Gateway Lobster. And another a half mile or so down the road, the Trenton Bridge  Lobster Pound. Both excellent choices. A little further away on US #1 is the quintessential Maine seafood shack called Ruth & Wimpy's. a local favorite.

You may want to take a loop drive down to Castine and the small villages along the shore, Very scenic. A day trip up US 1 to Campobello Island crossing at Lubec is nice, probably just need a drivers license and not passports seeing as its the only way on and off without the ferry. Lots of great places around and seafood abounds.

Testa?s in Bar Harbor had excellent Lobster. Hike the Beehive trail, not for the faint of heart...I have a moderate fear of heights and I survived. Amazing view.

Lubec and Campbello Island are a good stop. Check the tide schedule so you can walk out to the Lighthouse on the island there. Also, a good drive south is Rockland.

If you do go into Canada you need a passport or the enhanced drivers license. I do not believe a standard DL works anymore. The customs crossing there in Lubec is pretty easy.

All of this info from a trip there last month, so fairly recent.

JW of Opechee Shores said:
You may want to take a loop drive down to Castine and the small villages along the shore, Very scenic. A day trip up US 1 to Campobello Island crossing at Lubec is nice, probably just need a drivers license and not passports seeing as its the only way on and off without the ferry. Lots of great places around and seafood abounds.

You definitely need passports - it's a standard border crossing.

Back
Top Bottom