need to relocate destination!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrd341

hello all! I realize this may be "unsolvable",but am looking for advice anyway! We live in the northeast and are the retired owners of a 2003 winnebago adventurer 35 and are brand new to rv'ng having only  been out on a weekend trip a few weeks ago with the grandkids to get our feet wet! DW booked and payed for reservations for two months in florida at 3 separate  resorts which we thought went pretty well considering that most of the camp grounds were full and understandably booked for two yrs in advance in the south! The camp grounds that we reserved were right at ground zero of the hurricane in the panhandle and, for all intents and purposes, no longer exist!!!!! We are having a difficult time even getting any information, and feel terrible for the people that suffered through this horrible event! My  DW has been on the phone and internet wracking her brain trying to find any campgrounds in the florida area that have any class a sites open for january and february, which doesn't appear likely at this point. I just thought I'd ask for some input or ideas from you veteran rv'rs on here in the hopes of maybe coming up with some suggeations or ideas that we haven't thought of!
den

You would freeze your tookus there in January and February. That is far north Florida,  or as I call it South Alabama.
That aside, the Carrabelle Beach Resort is up and running according to the website.  You might have to take a few detours to get there.

Congratulations!  You've just become an RVer because one of the things RVers learn quickly is flexibility - as in changing direction because of bad weather or because the destination is no longer workable.  This time you might be better off going father west.  Texas and Arizona are both good snowbird locations.  But, because other people probably will be changing direction too, getting sites for a month stay might be difficult.  I can understand that maybe you had your heart set on Florida but those people are going need some time to recover - and so will the people in California where there were forest fires.  I'm sorry I can't wave a magic wand and give you a good answer, but these things happen and we learn to take them in stride.

ArdraF

Actually campgrounds may well have faired better in teh hurricane than you think. However telephone and power may still be out.> Keep hoping.. I stay in UPSTATE South Carolina.. and there is a park in Georgia just 50 miles from FL you might try (Cathead Creek Ranch RV park)

Now the Ranch park really does not have a lot other than parking good Wi-Fi and FUll 20-30-50 amp hookups but the price is not bad.  The owner is friendly and you get off I-95 at Exit 49 Turn towards the mall and Taco Bell (NOT toward the Waffle house) and it' 3 miles up the road. When you get to the big curve go straight and it's the 3rd driveway.. I no longer have the phone number.

YOu can easily continue on to FL from there once power and such is restored.

Central Florida say from Ocala down to past Sebring have not been sold out in a few years.  Our old park, Roberts RV in St Petersburg has had vacancies, as do the ones that Rene uses in Lakeland and Seilerbird stays at near him.  There are dozens of campgrounds around Lake Okeechobee, you might try those.
      Good luck

Ed

Don't leave south TX out of your considerations.  We winter in the Corpus Christi area and have enjoyed it for the past ~7 years. The locals value those they term "Winter Texans" and the cost of living a bit less than southern FL.

Also if you don't mind the lack of beaches, consider south Louisiana, I would suggest around Abbeville, or New Iberia on Vermilion bay.  Lots of good cajun food in the area, and friendly people, the climate is actually a little warmer than much of the Florida Panhandle.

January and February will have an odd cold day or so, but rarely will it drop below freezing on Vermilion Bay, and you are likely to have highs in the 60s and 70's most days.  This area has some of the warmest winter weather in the state.  We were near there at Palmetto Island State park the first weekend in February last year and the high was 80 degrees.

Isaac-1 said:
Also if you don't mind the lack of beaches, consider south Louisiana, I would suggest around Abbeville, or New Iberia on Vermilion bay.  Lots of good cajun food in the area, and friendly people, the climate is actually a little warmer than much of the Florida Panhandle.

January and February will have an odd cold day or so, but rarely will it drop below freezing on Vermilion Bay, and you are likely to have highs in the 60s and 70's most days.  This area has some of the warmest winter weather in the state.  We were near there at Palmetto Island State park the first weekend in February last year and the high was 80 degrees.

We discovered this area accidentally on our first trip out after I retired.  We were at Ft Pickens in Pensacola and were supposed to leave for home.  Heard about a snow storm in our area of Arkansas and decided we didn't have to go home after all.  Cruised over to New Iberia and spent a week exploring the area.  Been back at least once since then and will go again.  We stayed at Lake Fausse Pointe state park, but I think I heard somewhere that park got flooded out.  Probably stay at Palmetto Island the next time we go.

Thank's for all of the great suggestions! It is good to know that there are a multitude of options, we were starting to panic and wonder if we didn't "bite off more than we could chew" by buying an rv! We really appreciate the help!
dennis

try the Ho Hum RV Park in Carrabelle, FL.  we have reservations there for the last week in November, they called us the other day and said they are open. It's a small park right on the gulf. there are a few more in the area I just don't know if they are open or not
https://www.hohumrvpark.com/ho-hum.html

Hfx_Cdn said:
There are dozens of campgrounds around Lake Okeechobee, you might try those.
      Good luck
Ed

We stayed on Lake Okeechobee three years ago and there were plenty of sites available.  In fact it was practically deserted.  Our site was backed right up to the water and nicely groomed.  The down side was it was a long way to any big city and there wasn't much to do.  You could fish.

The websites for all 3 of the Carrabelle cgs say they're open but don't have cable tv or internet. But I have to wonder about the surrounding area. Are shops and restaurants open? I think I would forget about going to that area for at least a year. Central Florida or south Florida or south Texas are good suggestions.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom