tow dolly question(s)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikemc53

OK, we will be dolly towing a 2016 Ford Escape FWD behind our 2004 Holiday Rambler Vacationer and I have a question or two about this set up. The Escape has the EPAS (Electric Power Assist Steering) so the steering column does not lock. I have been looking at a Master Tow dolly that has a pivoting or sliding pan, which normally calls for locking the steering wheel. I am trying to figure out if this will create any issues with a car that does not have steering lock. By rights it shouldn't if the wheels are strapped down well and the steering is pretty tight (manual plus) without the electric assist running. The manual for the Escape is pretty useless. It just says to put it in Park and take out the key - no mention of fixed or sliding pan on tow dolly.

The folks at the trailer place where they have the tow dollies are also not really up to speed with this so I am looking for anyone who might have experience with this.

Also, a question on auxiliary lights: I know that the tow dolly itself has lights and a four prong plug which will plug into the RV. If I put magnetic mount auxiliary lights on the Escape, where do they plug in? Is there a plug that will allow piggy-backing the auxiliary and the trailer lights?

Thanks, gang.

For part 1, i am no expert, but I have read that running the seat belt through the steering wheel and latching it works well to limit wheel turning.

Part 2, I have not seen a premade adapter, but a setup like this  https://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit-Vehicle-Wiring/Curt/C58044.html    can easily be spliced into the wiring harness, with a male harness added to the light.  The key is the type of wire clip that allows you to connect the new wire to the existing wire without cutting the existing wire.  This fits around a wire, with the second wire laid in beside the  first, then a metal clip is pressed around them, connecting them.  It can be added to either the MH wire or to the dolly wire, as best meets your needs.

The device your describing is known as a "Scotchlock" and has been in use for at least 30 years that I know of,, a very handy and easy to use connector.>>>Dan

My American Dolly asks for a lock steering but mine does not.  I restrict the wheel movement by using the driver seat belt.  I also use another plastic belt, just in case.  Use it this way for several thousand miles without problems.

We tow our Explorer four down but for the lights Blue Ox, and probably others have a kit that allows you to utilize the regular tail lights on your Escape.  I have it installed and it has buffers so that there is no back feed to the front lights.  There is an easy plug in located under the front grill.  Just plug into the RV and you're good to go.

I dolly (Master Tow) towed a Buick Verano with electronic security, so no steering lock.  The driver seat belt did a great job of immobilizing the steering wheel.

I did not add aux lights to the car - the dolly lights were adequately visible and that is all that is required in my state. The Master Tow had large & bright lighting, one of its many qualities.

This may be the tow lighting "splitter" you are looking for.
http://www.opt-7.com/y-splitter-4-tow-pin-connector-adapter-harness-wiring-for-truck-tailgate/

Back
Top Bottom