Absorption fridge operation - fascinating!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Frank B

One of the advertisers here (ARP Fridge Defend) has a set of videos on the operation of the ammonia absorption fridge. I always wondered how those things worked. There is a fascinating set of videos as to how it works, and why they fail when off level.  By all means, click the link and watch the videos!  They are quite a bit more complicated than I originally thought!

Yes, the process is more complicated than many people realize. I do have to chuckle though, when I see RV fridges described as "an absorption fridge". All refrigeration units, regardless of the method used, work by absorbing heat in one location and discharging it in another location. All of them... ;)

NY_Dutch said:
All refrigeration units, regardless of the method used, work by absorbing heat in one location and discharging it in another location. All of them... ;)

True, however "absorption" fridges specifically use a heat source to start the refrigeration process, whereas freon cycle uses a pump to first compress the Freon (thereby creating heat). I believe it's the absorption of the motive heat source from which RV fridges derive their name, not so much a description of the refrigeration process.

Back2PA said:
True, however "absorption" fridges specifically use a heat source to start the refrigeration process, whereas freon cycle uses a pump to first compress the Freon (thereby creating heat). I believe it's the absorption of the motive heat source from which RV fridges derive their name, not so much a description of the refrigeration process.

You're probably right on the origin of the name, Scott...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom