Any ideas what is wrong with GFI?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RVRAC

My unit's two GFI are not working.  The red light is on in the main one.  I try to reset it but it doesn't do it.  Usually it could be done pushing the reset button but does not click and stay in.  Nothing is plugged in.  Any ideas what is wrong?

Unplug both the WH and fridge and try a reset. Shorted fridge heating elements have caused this in the past (and mebbe now). Same with the water heater

Find out what is NOT working and check as if someone suggested it is the patio (Outdoor) outlet odds are the box is waterlogged.  Happen often.

Second there are two flavors of GFCI for this post. ONE the Red Telltale means TRIPPED
On the other... LIVE

A GFCI won't reset if it has no power, so a tripped breaker for the circuit or a loose wire can cause that.

Note that "won't reset" is different than "trips again immediately".  If you reset and it immediately goes CLICK and trips, you have a ground fault somewhere after tat outlet that needs to be fixed.

I agree Gary and you and I (and many) know how to tell the difference.

The O/P said the Telltale was lit. So the outlet HAS POWER so it's not a "No Power so it won't reset" this limits it to a down-line ground fault or a defective GFCI .

actually it will reset with no power, but certinaly won?t stay that way IF powered and in a fault

Sorry - I missed the "red light is on". 

The meaning of the red light varies by brand of GFCI and not all GFCI's even have one, but it must have power to be on.  If a Leviton brand GFCI, the red light means a self-test fault, so replacing the GFCI may be necessary if it won't reset.  In some other brand, the red light may simply indicate a GFCI trip. There is no standard meaning for it.

Yup and in another brand it means POWER ON working properly (the Red Light) But the one thing that it means across all brands is power TO the GFCI for no power = no light.

And for Jeff. I have seen several brands. NONE of them would reset without power.

Friends, this is what I have,
No water in the outside outlet.
Jeff, the WH and the Fridge are working as they work on a different circuit.
I think I need to try what Gary suggested, replacing the GFI with a new one.

Of course, this kind of thing happened when on the road, going south to TX.  I?ll keep you posted.  If any other ideas come to your mind, please let me know..

You said BOTH  GFCI would not reset.  Do you have two that do not work, both going bad at the same time?  If so, it could be some type of power supply issue.  Does it happen at multiple CG / power poles?

You can open the GFCI box, and disconnect the LOAD wires (downstream wires) and see if it will reset.  If not, replace.  If it will reset, then you have a fault downstream.  Go to the next box on the chain and repeat until you find the box that trips the GFCI.

Gary, sorry for the misunderstanding.  Nope, I only have one GFI.  It powers the outlets in the bathroom, one outside, and the one next to the sink.  I keep working on it.  Thanks.

Ok, if you remove the GFI from the box it will have four wires connected to it, maybe five. Should be two black, two white and one green. Disconnect the load wires and then see if the problem still exists. If the problem still exists then you have a defective GFI. If the problem goes away then you have a problem in one of the two outlets the GFI protects. 

John From Detroit said:
Yup and in another brand it means POWER ON working properly (the Red Light) But the one thing that it means across all brands is power TO the GFCI for no power = no light.

And for Jeff. I have seen several brands. NONE of them would reset without power.
Think about that for a second..
Almost everyone here reading this has at least one GFI covering various outlets in the RV, and most of us have at least one covering the wet areas in the houseas well. I don?t know about you but I have never once needed to reset a GFI either in the RV nor the house tripped from a power loss. I also have several other GFI devices on my Reef tank, pressure washer, etc., and have never once had to reset them in the event of a power loss. Where do I find one of these that drop out with loss of input power?

Where do I find one of these that drop out with loss of input power?

Drop out with power loss isn't the same as won't reset without power. I didn't spot any comment that said loss of power caused them to drop.

SCVJeff said:
Where do I find one of these that drop out with loss of input power?

I did not say they drop out without power. I said they will not RESET without power. Big difference.

Once set they stay set power on or off... But if tripped. you can not reset them without power.  Please do not ask why. though I am a hardware hacker, Have had articles published in that area.  I've never hacked a GFCI apart to see how it is built so I can not answer.

Now if you need a device that will "Drop out" in a power fail.. That I can design. two components that's all. or optionally a few more components depending on if the "Humm" of a latching AC relay bothers you.

The power switch in the GFCI is latched ON until the little circuit board detects a ground fault and trips the circuit Open.  It stays open until the Reset button is pushed.  The circuit board requires power to pull the switch/relay back closed again, so if there is no power, nothing happens when the Reset button is pushed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom