Thorough RV Cleaning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grashley

My FW sidewalls are due for a good clean and wax.  It is fiberglass sheet with moderate oxidation.  What is recommended?

Bar Keeper Friend with Zep High Gloss wax?
Nu Finish?
McGuires Marine & RV Oxidation Remover with  wax on top?  What wax?

Nu Finish sounds great, but I am old school enough to believe that oxidation is removed by any wipe on - wipe off treatment.

I know this has been discussed many times, but my search criteria did not find them.

This last trip, I made a dent in the bug population when we got home an hour after dark  ;D

Thanks in advance!

I started out to clean engine oil off the side of my coach using 409 cleaner and following it with Meguire's Cleaner Wax.  That combo took all the old wax and oxidation off the coach so well that I ended up doing the entire coach.  The top of the front cap, which was the worst oxidized part of the coach even has a shine on it again.

Yes, it was a lot of work.  I took about 3 weeks to get it all done, but it took 10 years off the apparent age of the coach.  Maybe I can get it into one of those exclusive age-limited parks now.  ;D

grashley said:
Thanks! How much rubbing is involved with the 409 to get the RV clean?

The wax was actually more work than the 409.  I used 2 full cans of the Meguier's Cleaner Wax from Walmart.
As I sprayed the 409 on the sides of the coach you could see it change color as it ran down the side.  I wiped it and then sprayed the area again.  I guess, basically, 2 wipedowns with the 409, and then on to the wax.

On the first side I started(on a ladder)at the top and did about 1/2 way down the side front to rear.  Then I came back and did the bottom half from the ground.  On the other side I did about 3' at a time first the top then the bottom.  I know it was the same amount of square footage, but the 3' at a time seemed to go faster than the top then bottom side.

On the front cap, I actually ran out of 409(used a whole 32 oz bottle)so I used some orange, citrus smelling cleaner that we had around the campground.  It didn't work quite as well as the 409, but got the job done with a 3rd application.

My method was probably more labor intensive than the Barkeepers Friend then Zep method, but at least I know the product I used is rated for outside use.  I intend to put another coat of wax on it in Quartzsite this winter, but that's just because I tend to be anal about stuff like that.

I didn't get any before/after pictures, because when I started I was just trying to clean up the oil left over from my oil cooler leak.  Didn't plan on waxing the whole coach.

Depends on how bad the oxidation is.  Bar Keepers Friend would be a "last resort" kind of thing.  I would start with a car or boat cleaner/wax labeled with something like "removes oxidation" or "restores color", i.e. something with a bit of grit in it.  Try a small area to see the results. If that doesn't work, step up to one labeled for heavier oxidation - there are dozens of different grades.  If necessary, try a rubbing compound (no wax component).

I've used one of the several Meguiars oxidation removers, and also the Turtle Wax product. NuFinish works well on rather mild blemishes, but it's not strong oxidation remover. Pretty much a typical good cleaner wax.

I found an old bottle of Meguier's Cleaner Wax in the carport, so I gave it a quick try.  I AM AMAZED!!!!  It took off oxidation and white runoff stripes with little rubbing.  It even cleaned white trim strips with a bit more rubbing. I had some iron water spots by the HWH, and it even cut into them!  This was with absolutely NO pre cleaning of any type other than last night's rain.

I'll get some 409 tonight and see how much better that works.

How about cleaning the vinyl seals around the slide that appear mildewed - black dirt?

I found an old bottle of Meguier's Cleaner Wax in the carport, so I gave it a quick try. I AM AMAZED!!!! It took off oxidation and white runoff stripes with little rubbing. It even cleaned white trim strips with a bit more rubbing. I had some iron water spots by the HWH, and it even cut into them! This was with absolutely NO pre cleaning of any type other than last night's rain.

I'll get some 409 tonight and see how much better that works.

How about cleaning the vinyl seals around the slide that appear mildewed - black dirt?
Hi grashley,

We are getting a “new to us” travel trailer this week and we like it looking good.

Have you found anything to clean the black off of the vinyl strip on the trailer? I prefer that they look white!!

Attachments

• 97774F60-7AF3-4B29-BBF4-187F4891BB28.jpeg
    97774F60-7AF3-4B29-BBF4-187F4891BB28.jpeg
    80.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 5C729FB2-7EAF-42E9-9D0D-5CC361E40AF2.jpeg
    5C729FB2-7EAF-42E9-9D0D-5CC361E40AF2.jpeg
    85.9 KB · Views: 7
I like to use Magic Eraser to clean the edge trim. Also the Magic Eraser floor mop works wonders for the underside of awnings.
Hi touchracing,

I tried magic eraser on our other trailer on the vinyl by the door but it didn’t do anything. Maybe I need to put more elbow grease into it or buy the extra durable ones 😉. I will buy more to try on this trailer once we get it home. We like to keep our trailers looking nice and clean.

Any suggestions on how to keep the decals from peeling more than they already bare or how to get the edges that are lifting to adhere to the trailer?

Oxidation is tough to remove even in minor cases. This is not a job to be done by hand, a random orbital machine with a heavy cut pad using a compound, followed by polishing and finally a wax or sealant for the worse cases. For minor oxidation a good polish with a heavy cut pad, followed by waxing or sealing. As for products to use, I would only use RV/marine and for full body paint rigs automotive products are fine.

The vinyl is usually an insert into a metal strip. Replacement vinyl is easy enough to install and not expensive. Around $20 for 100 ft at Amazon. It comes in various widths, so make sure you measure first.
Thanks Gary. I will check it out

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stubblejumper
Back
Top Bottom