Banaff and Jasper NP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mso

We?re planning on making our first trip to Canada this summer and looking at routes.  Heading north slowly in June from San Diego, CA.  Right now looks like will be heading into Canada via Central WA Hwy 97.  Kelowana stop?  Then Ravelstoke into Banaff from the west.  Anyone recommend this route?  Or should we head east and head north out of Sandpoint, ID?  Concerned July /August is crazy busy so reservations would be a must.  We?ve but off going to the CR because of the crowds but I guess there is no way around it.  This year September in NW Montana was crazy busy. 

Kelowna to Banff via Revelstoke is on HWY 1, which is the Trans-Canada Highway.  We haven't been on that section, but it should be good road with limited grades.  The road between Banff and Jasper is predominantly down a river valley with only one steep grade heading north, but there are pull offs with scenic look offs. 

Ed

You have picked a very scenic route, the highways are good although very busy. Okanagan Lake Provincial Park offers a spectacular view of the lake but no hookups, full service campgrounds available along the route. 97 meets the TCH at Sicamous, there is one major pull east of Revelstoke but won't present any problems provided you don't try to push. Watch your speed, gear down and spare the brakes coming off Rogers Pass summit, it is a long grade. Wave when you go by my front door. ;D

There are great campgrounds at both parks.  The Whistler (Jasper) and Tunnel Mountain (Banff) CG"s have full hookup sites, if that's what you're interested in.  Those have to be reserved very early, like on the day that reservations start at Parks Canada.  My suggestion is to familiarize yourself with the Parks website before the day that reservations are accepted. That way you can create an account and be all ready to get online early that morning.  I'm not joking; the better sites go very fast.

There's lots to see and do around both parks.  Be sure and visit the Columbia Ice Fields which are sort of mid-way between the two.  And, of course, Lake Louise is a must see.

I live not too far from the border in northern Idaho.  Highway 95 goes from Nevada all the way to Canada, past some beautiful country to Coeur d'Alene, ID.  There's a nice RV park at Blackwell island right on the lake.  There's also a theme park called Silverwood with its own RV park about 15 miles north of CDA.  Sandpoint has all kinds of shops and restaurants. The crossing north of there is fairly small so may be less of a wait to cross.  There's also Farragut State park which is an old WW2 boot camp with a museum and nice views of Lake Pend O'rille.  If you have sea kayaks, it's a perfect spot. Geez....I sound like a tour guide, but we've lived here three years (moved from Lake Tahoe) and love it!

Farragut State park is the most well kept state park I have ever stayed. Huge ,, well laid out with FHU ,,and super clean.>>>Dan

It's been a few years but we stayed at both Tunnel Mt and Whistler in June without reservations. Got on the line in the am at the parks and got in on the sites that opened up that day. Don''t know if they still allow but seems to me some people cancel their res or leave early.

Keep in mind July 1st is Canada Day, it's the same as our 4th of July. 

You better have reservations way ahead.  Especially around Calgary!

Ask me how I know..... I seem to learn everything the hard way.

BruceinFL said:
It's been a few years but we stayed at both Tunnel Mt and Whistler in June without reservations. Got on the line in the am at the parks and got in on the sites that opened up that day. Don''t know if they still allow but seems to me some people cancel their res or leave early.

IMHO the problem with this approach is that if it doesn't work,what is your fallback position? The nicest full hookup sites at Jasper and Banff fill up quickly.  I strongly urge having reservations.

John Stephens said:
According to the Parks Canada website, Whistlers will be closed for the entire 2019 season. Any second suggestions for that area?

That's a bummer.  If you want full hookups the best alternative I can think of is the KOA in Hinton AB.  It's a bit of a drive to the park, but it would be manageable IMO.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lmw
Back
Top Bottom