Composting Toilet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CA Escapee

Has anyone changed out their RV toilet for a composting toilet.  I'd be interested to know your thoughts and what brand you used.  Did you then combine grey and black tank for more grey storage when boondocking. Thx

Have you ever done any composting at all, ever?

I tried it years ago at home when I had a lot of dog dodo.  Didn't work out so well in the back yard.  Can't imagine what it would be like in an RV.

Arch, I can appreciate the perspective but the world of off Grid has made a lot of improvements with stuff like this.  I actually installed a bio-digestor in Mexico that could handle 15 to 20 people as part of a composting system we used there.  I actually have done some research on the ones sold in the US but was hoping for some fresh perspectives on models before I drop down the cash so to speak.  Prices range for $975 to $4,000 for the ones with all the bells an whistles so to speak.  And while we are talking about all thats new in poo, I installed a $5000 toilet (actually three of them for the same customer) in CA; this one had an engine, memory and could sense when you were coming and turned its lights on for you. I know hard to believe - more money then sense.

These folks have several videos on the subject that may answer some of your questions:

https://youtu.be/_E2xOoNov9s

https://youtu.be/vM71d8wMuUU

Tons of info on YouTube, most seem fairly candid on the pros and cons. One thing I would consider is resale - you would have a VERY limited audience when the time comes to sell, so I would consider what it would take to convert it back

Back2PA - Thx, I've seen the first one but the second one is new.  Going to definetly check it out.  And yes your right, retrofit to refit for resale. 

Hope I am putting this is in the right spot... as far as actually composting the waste, it is mislabeled. It take a very long time to compost anything, including feces. So do not think of it as a composting toilet, but rather a dry toilet. Most people do not even try to compost, they wrap it up well and throw it away or bury it. I am going to put one in my RV. I will be alone so only my to worry about. I am not a fan of the premade ones you need to stir up. First they are really expensive. Second, you cannot place a bag in there as the agitator will get all messed up with the bag. I think the go and cover is for me. Will say that in all my research, you want to separate the liquids and solids or you in for a big ol stinky mess. If you want to save your fresh water for drinking, showering etc, makes sense to me.

Back
Top Bottom