Bolt size

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoeKan

Can someone give me information on what size bolt to use when bolting the camper down? I'm thinking 1/2"

Another thought is wouldn't a strong enough wind rip the flooring right off the camper even when it's bolted down? ?

It's 3/4" plywood.

Thanks for any help,

Joe

You're going to have to give us allot more details and even pictures of what you have for a RV, what your main goal is and for what reason.  Just saying "bolting down the camper" doesn't mean much to me.

Sounds like your wanting to bolt down the Alaskan you posted. 1/2" bolt is more then enough and a good choice. I wouldn't use fender washers,, they are thin compared to a standard washer,, and deform into the wood as you tighten. If your wood floor is sound, a regular 1/2" washer has a good enough footprint to hold a camper like that in place, assuming your going to need four, one in each corner. No, the wind won't blow it off by tearing the floor up, it would have to be clearly rotted and the ply's delaminating. My old Lance 9.5 Cabover had factory 1/2" eyebolts in the corners that the hold downs connected to.

I had a cab-over Alaskan Camper for 18 years.  It was bolted down to the truck bed with four 1/2 inch bolts with standard washers on each side.  It required two more holes through the truck bed for the water tank drain and overflow lines.  Seal up those holes well to prevent rusting of the truck bed

I don't remember how old you said this unit was on your original post.  If it very old I highly recommend that you change the o'rings in the jacks.  It's easy but a little tricky.  I and perhaps others here can tell you how to do that if needed.  I would also carry spare o'rings and hydraulic fluid.  Also, when you jack it up be sure to jack all the way up to the stops, put the pins in the jacks and then let the camper down onto the pins and leave the valve open on the main jack so there is no pressure in the system.  If you leave the outer shell of the camper jacked up against the up stops and pressure on the system...the pressure can build up when it gets warm out and blow the o'rings.  That is a real mess not to mention that the outer shell will come down gushing hydraulic fluid all over.

One more thing...Attached at the end of the inner jack tubes, that go down into the four jacks, are plastic inserts with the o'ring groves.  It is common for those to break off of the end of the jack tube.  That is not a problem.  Just retrieve that part, replace the o'rings and push it back down the tube with the jack tube.  It doesn't change the operation of the system at all.  We used our camper a lot and I changed the o'rings ever couple of years.  Note:  If this is a newer camper the jack set up may be different than mine was.  In the late 90s the jacks were still the same as my jacks but with some improvement in materials.

BTW, Joe, you may have noticed that many people here have a section that shows up in all their posts that says what kind of rig they have.  That's the signature file, and you can create one by choosing PROFILE at the top of the page, then FORUM PROFILE from within that.  That way people Like Rene won't have to keep asking you what you have when you post here.

Thank you everyone for your great advice, I just purchased the half inch material tonight and hopefully we'll get it put in the next day or two. Sorry Rene, I should have been more specific. But yes it's my Alaskan camper. OP, I will post my rig information as you have recommended. Thank you all very much

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom