leaking generator from lying on its side

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kuri77

I stored my honda 2200i sideways down and found it had leaked about a cup of oil.  Yeah I know dumb move but the question is after standing it right side up for a week and having all the interior leaked oil run down and out is there anything else to do?  I presume it came out the oil overflow hose and so just needs cleaning up and refilling reservoir.
Any suggestions appreciated it.

A quick Google search shows it only holds .42 qt.  I would at least dump the rest and do a full oil change.  Other than that, might start hard the first time, but it should be fine.

Oil may have seeped into the cylinder, so before trying to start, remove the spark plug. A couple of pulls on the start cord will clear any oil.

Did the engine exterior get soaked in oil? Give it a good cleaning with some brake cleaner. Avoid painted surfaces because it could ruin the paint. The above advise is the rest is the rest of the equation.

I would try "Gunk" spray degreaser, won't take the paint off. Spray the whole unit down, wait 10 min, hose it off

99dart said:
Did the engine exterior get soaked in oil? Give it a good cleaning with some brake cleaner. Avoid painted surfaces because it could ruin the paint. The above advise is the rest is the rest of the equation.

Some plastics will get eaten up by brake cleaner. I would get a pail of hot water with some Dawn dish detergent and a sponge and just wash it like you would with anything else with oil on it.

Back
Top Bottom