How many CCA's battery needed to start generator?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BigNormitasca

in my 76 Itasca i have a kohler 4kw gen set. 14hp i beleive.  Im not going to use this battery to power anything inside the rv just to start the generator.  Anyone know apx how many CCA's i need to turn it over?  thanks for the help

I have no idea...but, Do you have an "auxiliary" start switch? Have someone hold that down while you try starting the Genny. Or, is the entire MH dead at this time? Swap a battery in from another one of your vehicles to get things running.

One time when I accidently ran EVERYTHING down I used a garden tractor battery to start the Generator. Worked fine. and 10 minutes at 80 amps later everything else started.

BigNormitasca said:
in my 76 Itasca i have a kohler 4kw gen set. 14hp i beleive.  Im not going to use this battery to power anything inside the rv just to start the generator.  Anyone know apx how many CCA's i need to turn it over?  thanks for the help

Be aware if the battery is only connected to the generator it will NOT recharge it - the generator does not produce 12 volts.  Most generators are connected to the house batteries so the batteries can be recharged by the converter when it's energized by the generator's 120 volts.

The engine uses the same starter assembly found on garden tractors, so a garden tractor battery should crank it over.  Maybe a couple of times before you have to recharge it.

Lou Schneider said:
Be aware if the battery is only connected to the generator it will NOT recharge it - the generator does not produce 12 volts.  Most generators are connected to the house batteries so the batteries can be recharged by the converter when it's energized by the generator's 120 volts.

The engine uses the same starter assembly found on garden tractors, so a garden tractor battery should crank it over.  Maybe a couple of times before you have to recharge it.
My thought exactly.

Back
Top Bottom