RV parts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Michealbraunstein

Hi All,

My family & I bought a used trailer from a nearby dealer in our place.  After months of planning and savings finally, we decided to hit the road, the first couple of days on the journey was smooth we reached our first destination and we enjoyed a lot. As our journey goes on I started to have some problem with my trailer as its getting difficult to control going downhill I got worried and stopped in the nearest service station to check it. I did notice that the trailer is imbalanced, the weight distribution has come to the front side of the trailer, I asked my wife have you moved anything inside the trailer, she told me she has rearranged couple of stuff, which could be the problem of handling. So I checked the trailer and rearranged the stuff as it was before but, I notice that one of the brakes connected to the vehicle was broken. The brake fluid was leaking from the trailer, I wonder why how can it happen. I ordered the fluid and other stuff from trailer parts online, but its a surprise for me that it got broken is there any possibility that it can happen?

Is it a surge rake system?  Most trailer brakes are electric.  If it is hydraulic surge then inertia forces fluid to cylinders on the wheels.  Iff leaking, better fix it.  check fittings. 

Using sway control?  Equalizer?

Could you elaborate on "difficult to control going downhill"?  Lack of braking? Sway? Something else?

As Bill says, most all trailer brakes are electric, but if you have oil leaking it must be a surge system. Where is this oil leak? On the tongue by the coupler (the surge mechanism) or back at the wheels?

Weight distribution: It is critical to have at eat 10% of the loaded trailer weight on the tongue coupler. 12% is even better.  Any less than 10% is going to produce excessive sway when braking, slowing, or in crosswinds.

Does your hitch have weight distribution assist, i.e. the 2+ ft long long spring bars between the ball mount and the sides of the trailer tongue?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom