Do I need RV reservations in VA end of Dec?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmc

Morning, this is the first year we are trying to go from NY to FL end of December, we were wondering if we need to make reservations at campsites on the way or is there usually several open sites at camp grounds so we can drive as far as possible on any particular day, we are looking for electric as we will probably need heat, can we just call ahead that day? is Flying J parking lot an option? Not sure if we will travel 95 or 81, probably get to VA on first day. Any hints or advice are appreciated. Thank you in advance for your time and assistance-JMC

The week between Christmas and New Years will be busy south on 95 so if you know where you want to stop then yes make a reservation. Any other time heading south you could just call a few hours ahead and more than likely get a spot. You will spend time in traffic on 95 through NC and SC because it is only two lanes and Can't handle the load. I take 17 to avoid it, but I am not in a hurry to get anywhere. 81 to 77 to 26 back to 95 no tolls and not bad, just a little longer and more trucks.

jmc said:
Morning, this is the first year we are trying to go from NY to FL end of December, we were wondering if we need to make reservations at campsites on the way or is there usually several open sites at camp grounds so we can drive as far as possible on any particular day, we are looking for electric as we will probably need heat, can we just call ahead that day? is Flying J parking lot an option? Not sure if we will travel 95 or 81, probably get to VA on first day. Any hints or advice are appreciated. Thank you in advance for your time and assistance-JMC
You can overnight in any rest area or truck stop... and at most Walmart stores (but you won't have electric).
If you need heat simply run your furnace... (that's what it's for).

I would avoid the metro DC area if possible. At that time of year you should be able to get a site at most campgrounds that are open. If you go through DC there is a state campground in Pohick VA about 20 minutes south of DC and 5 miles east off 95.

Many of us take I 84, then I 91 to I 691, back to I 84 over to I 81 then down to one of several routes back to I 95.  I usually go I 77,to I 26, that get you back to I 95 north of Savannah. 
    It avoids the traffic through Hartford, but more particularly it avoids the Beltway parking lot around Washington.  Plus the tolls through NJ, south are heavy.  It is longer but faster.
    There are many Walmarts, and Flying J's along the route, but as stated you won't have electric hook ups.  Once south of Washington, no matter which route, you should not need heat, just a good blanket.

Ed

I just came down through VA this past weekend. I would never again take I-95. I go I-84 to I-81 to I-77 then I-26 to I-95.  I use to take I-64 from I-81 and it would take me back to I-95 just south of Richmond but last year was the pits. The  concrete road in SC from the NC/SC border for about 60 miles towards GA is terrible. THUMP, THUMP, THUMP. You can see tons of rubber in the breakdown lane where tires have exploded. I had a blowout in that area last year.

There's a Walmart at Exit 247-A in VA we stayed at for a few years but now they stopped RV'rs from staying overnight. Go south to Exit 243 stay at a Cracker Barrel.  Parking was a little tight but we made it work. The next stop for us was in Brunswick GA at Exit 36-B  . There's a Cracker Barrel there also with ton of parking for buses and RV's around the back.

We leave middle of Feb and drive to at least Petersburg Va.South forty campground easy off and on to 95.Nothing special but quiet with all pull thrus.
50 miles further Carolina  Crossing Roanoke Rapids NC a nice place if we want to push it almost a 600 mile day :p

I understand that I can use the battery to run the furnace on the way South. My concern is that I will run down the battery. Does anyone know how long you could run the furnace before you deplete 900 CCA battery????

We are going at the end of Dec. so weather will be colder. We are concerned about running the furnace and depleting our battery.

If near Blacksburg Va I would get reservations unless you plan to stay at the KOA near I-77/I-81 junction.  That section of highway has few options for RV parks, and high full time occupancy.

To conserve our battery we run the furnace for a short time in the evening while getting ready for bed then shut it off. The next morning; guess who has to get up first and turn the furnace on for half an hour  :'(

Thelast week of Dec and the first week of Jan are the busiest days on 95 and 81 of the year.  Ive had years I couldnt find a motel room and when I did it was very expensive. Woman in the hotel said I was lucky to find anything....  RV parks are the same way.  so if u can make a reservation.  But there are always walmarts etc.

I usually take 81 over 95.  Ive spent 2 hours trying to get thru DC traffic.  I went thru mid afternoon about 2 and still it was terrible. you hit it in the morining and oooh boy.  hurry up and wait in
lines.

so alternates 81 to RT 64  into Richmond to 95
81 to rt 77 and thru charlotte to 95. Again plan the rt, if your going to hit charlotte late in the afternoon, then choose rt 64 instead.

My favorite IF your not in a hurry.
95 in Delaware , pick up rt 1, follow to 13 or 113 ( not sure which)  which takes you thru the bay bridge tunnel.  A great ride.  Lots of cool lirttle towns 
then use the GPS to get you over to 95. 

We run down I-88 to I-81 to I-77 to I-26 to I-95 the first week of January. At various times, we've overnighted at the Susquehanna Trail Campground, Oneonta, NY, the Jonestown/Hershey KOA in Jonestown, PA, the Shenandoah Valley Campground near Mt Jackson, VA, the Ft Chiswell RV Park at the I-81/I-77 junction in VA, Little Cedar Creek Campground near Ridgeway, SC, and Jolly Acres Campground, St George, SC, before hitting our long lead time reservations in southern GA and FL, all with no reservations more than a day ahead of our arrival. We always include a couple of "floater" days that we can use to stay an extra night or two someplace if needed due to weather problems.

Thanks for the Great info. This is our first time going to Florida and I am stressing over where to stay, how far ahead we need to make reservations, will it be so cold that our water lines will freeze etc., etc. And....how will our cat handle being in a carrier for hours at a time.

We are planning to leave Dec30th from Rochester NY. And pick up our RV from storage in Manassas Va. then spend the nite nearby before heading farther south on 81. and 77. I liked the idea of taking 95 south until folks told us about the traffic.

Any other suggestions you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much.

When I worked, we would take the winterized RV to Florida usually around American Thanksgiving.  We would bring several gallons of water in 1 gallon milk jugs, 1 for flushing the toilet, one in the fridge for coffee or cooking and 1 to do dishes.  We used the toilet, but never the sinks, and we used a plastic wash basin to do the dishes and dumped outside if we were in a place that was not going to creat a mess, or into the toilet if we had to.
      By the time you are into Virginia, the risk of a frost that would freeze your plumbing is greatly diminished and we would dump and fill the fresh water at a Flying J or a campground.  Usually, we put in full days to get to that point, then we would go back to the preferred 6 to 8 hour days.  If you are concerned about using the toilet, put some RV antifreeze into it, but we never did, and we never had a problem.

Ed

We are planning to leave Dec30th from Rochester NY. And pick up our RV from storage in Manassas Va. then spend the nite nearby before heading farther south on 81. and 77. I liked the idea of taking 95 south until folks told us about the traffic.

Any other suggestions you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much.
[/quote]

We used to run 81 down to 66 to 17 to 95. The truck traffic has gotten pretty heavey on 81 so we  take 81 to Camp Hill then back on 15 to 17 and then down 95
You will be below DC so 95 would be easier than going back to 81. The KOA in Fredricksburg is ok but down a tight winding road.
I think  95 is ok for road conditions but as you know coming from Rochester are expectations might not be as high as other states for road conditions.
I am surprised no posts on the areas that Florence hit and closed 95 for awhile. Must be ok

Bob

Thanks for the info. I'm beginning to think that the traffic is a crap shoot.....depends on weather there is an accident or not. I guess we will find out!

jmc said:
Thanks for the info. I'm beginning to think that the traffic is a crap shoot.....depends on weather there is an accident or not. I guess we will find out!
Traffic is not a crap shoot, accident or no accident there will be lots of traffic. Better to go around.

I head back and forth from the Catskills to Florida 5 or 6 times a winter. I always go I95. No, it's not ideal. You need to get to the DC area before 3:00. If you don't, than life gets complicated fast. We stop at the Fredericksburg KOA. It's off the highway, it's never crowded, it's quiet, it's very clean,  and it's open all year. May or not work for you, but it works for us as a good stop for an overnight. Maybe this helps.

Back
Top Bottom