RV LP System

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GeorgieBoy95

Recently, I purchased a 1995 Georgie Boy Sprinter. Well, earlier this evening, while attempting to turn on the LP system, I heard a loud hissing, and got a VERY strong odor of Propane, like the line wasn't connected at all. So, I shut off the gas and let the cloud clear. Needless to say, none of my gas appliances are on, and my generator will not fire, but I tried those before I knew the gas was off. Is that normal, or is there a problem with my gas system? I will take it to the local RV repair guy if need be, but I'd rather not if I can avoid it.

And, for the record, I was hoping to do the inaugral Boondock in the Back 40 tomorrow night. If the gas is busted, that just means I gotta bring in pre-cooked/Non parishable foods, and stock up the cooler. And I still have the batteries to run the lights. Speaking of, does anyone know how to turn on the full battery power the pervious owner told me about?

how to turn on the full battery power

I'm not sure what that means, but on most rigs there is a battery disconnect switch for the house batteries (some have one for chassis batteries, too), but with that switch off the lights are not likely to come on. It's meant for storage without connection to shore power.

That's what I meant. How do I work that switch? Or is that in the cabinet with the batteries and I just have to hook them up?

I'm not sure what you mean by, "full battery power." Motorhomes have a house battery bank and a chassis battery bank, but you can momentarily tie them together by pressing (and holding) a switch that's usually found on the dash board. It's used to help start the engine if the chassis battery dies.

Motorhomes will also usually have a house battery disconnect switch, and they're (usually) located near the entry way, often on a switch panel just inside the door. When you flip that swtch, you should hear a "clunk" sound coming from the solenoid that's actually connecting, or disconnecting the house batteries.

I would say there's definitely something wrong with your LP system if you're hearing a hissing sound, and smelling propane when you open the valve.

Kev

Given the age of the coach you likely need to replace the propane regulator along with any rubber hoses in the propane system, if you are lucky this will only be the regulator and the short pigtail line attached to it. RV propane regulators are available on Amazon for about $25. 

Here is a link to one on Amazon https://smile.amazon.com/Camco-59333-Horizontal-Propane-Regulator/dp/B0024E6TX2  note they come with horizontal and vertical vent orientation, it is important that the vent face down in your installation, most motorhomes use the horizontal models. The length and connector style on the pigtails will vary, probably something similar to this https://smile.amazon.com/Camco-59883-Propane-Appliance-Extension-x/dp/B007HG7V70

p.s. it is generally a good idea to replace propane regulators every 10 years or so, as they contain a rubber diaphragm, also if you end up taking it to a shop, you may have better luck with a propane dealer than an rv shop

The LP thing is definitely not normal and something is broken. Isaac-1 gave good suggestions to find and fix.

The battery(s) is either connected or not. If there is a disconnect switch, it is either on (connected) or not; just push/flip the switch to change the state.  The switch (if any) is usually by the entry door.    To test, when NOT connected to shore power or genset, turn on an overhead light.  If it comes on, the battery(s) are online. If not, flip the disconnect switch  and see if the light comes on.

Thanks for all the helpful advise guys. I?ll look for the switch later. And I?ll have the LP system checked by a pro in the spring.

I was just trying to figure out how to turn on the house/chassis batteries. And I didn?t know there was a name for them.

What you are looking for is often called a salesman's switch, they are typically located near the house battery bank, and kill most optional DC power to the coach (lights, etc.), but leave critical stuff (LPG detector) connected, though with the age of your coach it may not have an LPG or Carbon Monoxide detector from the factory (if it does they probably need to be replaced also, as they go nose blind, and should be replaced every 7-10 years).

It sounds like before you go anywhere, you need to get a propane detector.  Sometimes these are separate from a carbon monoxide detector and sometimes combined.  A propane detector needs to go low on a wall, preferably near the stove or other propane devices.  In other words, don't put it in the bedroom!  And most are hooked up to 12 volt connections.

I'll check for the Salesman's Switch tomorrow. The gas will stay off until spring. And I'll get it professionally checked before it goes anywhere.

After looking in the battery cabinet, I found no salesman?s switch. Nor is there one near the entryway. I have checked the cabinets near the door, and still nothing. While I don?t much mind roughing it, I could have sworn the old owner told me there was a switch somewhere, and I can?t remember where it is

So, it seems my coach does not have a Salesman?s Switch. It has screws with plastic knobs that are screwed out to shut off the batteries. They were left screwed down, so the batteries are surely flat.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom