Roadmaster Tow Bar Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bjwinspect

I have purchased a Roadmaster base plate to install on my Smart Fortwo.    I am looking at buying a used Falcon 2 towbar.      Do I need the cross bar on the front brackets of base plate?  I see some for sale with the cross bar and others without.
Attached are pictures of a Tow Bar and fittings I can get for $150, without a cross bar.  Also a picture of what the bracket will be on the front of the base plate
(I keep getting errors when trying to post this, I hope it does not end up posting 6 times!)

Attachments

• BEBAB29B-EB50-48C1-AB1A-890A87606820.png
    BEBAB29B-EB50-48C1-AB1A-890A87606820.png
    191.4 KB · Views: 36
  • A7ECF7F7-9C81-4BD3-B226-2B38C82AD631.png
    A7ECF7F7-9C81-4BD3-B226-2B38C82AD631.png
    169.1 KB · Views: 35
You need the crossbar if your toad does not have 'rails' like on a large SUV or truck. A conventional car chassis can twist without the crossbar. I originally purchased a Roadmaster baseplate tow bar with the crossbar, not realizing I didn't need it while towing our Suburban. I later stopped using the crossbar, and bought shorter parts (can't recall the name) that slide into the small receivers at the front of the toad and connect to the tow bar.

[quote author=Tom]I originally purchased a Roadmaster baseplate with the crossbar...[/quote]
More correctly, I originally purchased the crossbar and slide-in sections as part of the tow bar kit, not the baseplate per se.

FYI, the picture of the tow bar has Blue Ox adapters installed with the Roadmaster brackets loose. The two "bars" are also Blue Ox parts. To use Roadmaster base plates you will need the crossbar and brackets. If you get a Blue Ox base plate you should have all you need.

Roadmaster now sells 2 types of baseplates for many vehicles. One is the standard and it requires a cross bar, the other does require a cross bar. Go to Roadmaster's website under Baseplates. The baseplate instruction should tell you which version you have.

The Sterling Tow bar require the Cross bar version in order to use the Sterling safety cables. Use of the Roadmaster Guardian or Defender also requires the cross bar version of the baseplate.

ken

Back
Top Bottom