Seilerbird's new banjo uke

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeilerBird

Tom - My sister just sent me an early Christmas present. It is a banjo ukulele.

https://www.amazon.com/Kmise-String-Ukulele-Concert-Sapele/dp/B01NCLJDZG/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1540497405&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=banjo+ukulele&psc=1

The ironic thing is that yesterday I was at Guitar Center and I walked past a rack of banjos and I almost picked one up to try it because I have never played a banjo even once. I didn't pick it up because I really don't need the expense of another instrument. So now I have one with no expense. Do you have any suggestions for me? I am a banjo virgin.

Congrats on the early Christmas gift. There are numerous banjo ukes (aka banjoleles) out there, and the differences are quite evident when you play them alongside each other. Most give you a lot of volume  ;D

I see some folks using a thumb pick to strum a banjo uke, and that really helps make a louder sound. I strum it like all my other ukes - with just the nails of thumb and forefinger.

I went to Guitar Center today specifically to buy a set of finger picks. I have never used them before. It felt totally foreign to me. I have read that finger picks and rolls are usually done with a five string. I will probably end up using a flat pick since that feels so much more normal to me. It is very loud.

Finger picks are normally used to play clawhammer style, usually on a 5-string banjo. Since you're comfortable with a flat pick, that will work fine on the banjo uke.

Pictures viewable by clicking Seilerbird's link to amazon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom