New RV tires needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pa bell

I pull a 2015 36" MXT 303 toy hauler. The original tires 225/75/15 did fine until I had a blowout with one from a piece of shrapnel on the road. The TPMS saved further damage. I replaced it with a Goodyear Marathon. The other 3 originals are still doing OK but need replaced after 4 years and 16K miles. I was going to match the lone Marathon with the same but now after reading horror stories about them on this and other forums. I am ready to replace all 4 with another brand. Any recommendations?

I've heard the Goodyear Endurance is made in the USA - will go to that tire next season.

RV trailer manufacturers often build their trailers with very close axle spacing. That practice often hampers the use of larger replacement tires. The offshore trailer tire manufacturer's are very quick to adapt to situations like that.

There is already a ST225/75R15 LRG all steel tire on the market. It has a load capacity of 3195# at 95 PSI. I'm not a brand pusher, however, Walmart and Tire Rack have such tires or will get them for their customers.

I have Carlisle tires and am happy.  They are ST and I believe they will have your size in multiple load ratings.  I would strongly suggest a higher load rating than the factory tires.

I bought Goodyear Endurance last year for my TT. Shame is I just traded it in on a new Toy Hauler. I was very please with the way the Endurance handled and rode and likely will be replacing the never heard of brand tires on my new trailer next season. Tire Discounter carries them at a decent price generally.

I bought Maxxis tires based on several recommendations and am very pleased.  I upgraded to ?D? rated tires and they ride nicely.

Ihave had the Goodyear Endurance for a year and half.  Very pleased  probably 10,000 miles.

I got the Goodyear Endurances for my new 1997 5'er last year to replace the china bombs it had on it. Several long trips and 10,000 miles later they are still great. Not one tire problem. I too have the 15"er and dont have the clearance between tires to move to a larger size. Take good care and check the air often and they will do you good.

skeeter

What ever you buy I would get LT rated tired instead of ST. Stronger and higher speed rating.

Actually, for a given size, an ST is stronger (greater load capacity) than an LT. The LT, however, will almost always have a higher speed rating (there are a very few ST tires that have ratings above 65 mph.
The ST design sacrifices steer-ability and speed to achieve higher load capacity.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Actually, for a given size, an ST is stronger (greater load capacity) than an LT. The LT, however, will almost always have a higher speed rating (there are a very few ST tires that have ratings above 65 mph.
The ST design sacrifices steer-ability and speed to achieve higher load capacity.

Actually it's just the opposite in todays ST tire market, with very few exceptions, ST tires have speed letters for speeds 75 MPH and higher. The only one I know for sure that has not yet raised their ST tire speed above 65 MPH is Maxxis.

Here's a decent article on ST vs. LT vs. P rated tires:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=219

jboczek said:
Here's a decent article on ST vs. LT vs. P rated tires:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=219

It's a little outdated. Here are the specs for the new GY ST tire line-up. All have a speed letter "N" = 87 MPH.

https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/endurance/sizes-specs

The heavy duty Sailun tires have speed letter "L" = 75 MPH.

https://www.sailuntire.ca/PLT/S637st.html

About two years ago the offshore ST tire manufacturers - mostly China - were told to put speed letters on their tires for import into the USA or pay an increased tariff fee. All threatened have done so.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chewys79
Back
Top Bottom