Forum's exciting future

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kdbgoat

I pray I don't open a can of worms here, but I want to first welcome Andy to the community. Tom, I have always thought this is the best run forum I had been involved with, and trust your judgement throughly, so I'm confident this will work to everyone's advantage. As far as a new platform, the one thing that I really like is the tab to view unread new posts. It makes it very easy to keep up with new posts without having to read all the previous posts on the topic. Some other forum's I'm on make it a real pain in the butt to read the new posts and topics.

I believe that one of the reasons for the success of our current platform (Simple Machines Forum aka SMF) is that I steadfastly limited software modifications that could/would run interference with 1-click auto updates. This meant that I resisted the requests of some forum members to install 3rd party modifications (or ones of my own creation). As a result, SMF has been a solid platform that most folks have been quite happy with.
Meanwhile, my intent was to eventually migrate to a new platform (Xenforo was the lead contender), but held off awaiting the development of a functional migration script that will make the migration clean and simple. We had a test install of Xenforo (the proposed new platform) running in the background for a couple of years, and I've had it running on another site. I've been convinced that it really is a superior forum platform, having been designed from the ground up, leaving behind all the baggage that old forum platform designs such as vBulletin and SMF carry.

When Andy and his team decide to make the switch, I think that, after the initial "this is different" reactions, folks will find the new platform a breath of fresh air. I also believe that our prior resistance to modifying the old (SMF) software will make the migration much easier than if we'd modified the existing SMF to satisfy the whims of some members.

[quote author=kdbgoat]As far as a new platform, the one thing that I really like is the tab to view unread new posts.[/quote]
Have no fear, that's the first menu button on the out-of-the-box version of Xenforo I've had running elsewhere.

Well, it'll be interesting going forward, but my main concern is not the software at all. Mainly I hope that the same friendly atmosphere continues on down the road. I have no doubt that it will continue that way for a while, and am hoping that it continues this way for years, since it is one of the major factors that drew me here and keeps me here.

The only reason I bring this up is the many times I've seen corporate mergers (and other leadership changes) with a promise to continue the good parts, with that promise broken within a year or two. I'm not trying to insult Andy, but I don't know him or his work. I know Tom's intentions are very good, and he believes things will go forward very well indeed, and I hope it happens that way. I also recognize that this will take some load off of Tom, and that's a good thing, too.

So Andy, welcome to our world, and keep in mind what it is that makes this forum so great.

Larry, I can't/won't speak for Andy or Janet, and I might be oversimplifying this. But my understanding of how the RV Life group operates is that forums pretty much run unimpeded under the control of the existing/old team of staffers (so the forum ambience is essentially unchanged); Janet is there in case a forum goes off the rails &/or needs help from other resources on Andy's team.

FWIW I've been on both sides of corporate mergers & acquisitions (multiple times) and fully understand your concern.

I agree with Larry. Kind of nervous, but hoping for the best. This forum is so nice compared to the meanness and contention on another few sites I monitor. Hope it stays that way. As for software, hope Andy remembers many of us primarily access this from smartphones and hot spots with limited bandwidth. Let?s keep it lean.

For those that aren't familiar with the "RV Life" branding, it's the consolidated RV component of the Social Knowledge, LLC group of websites that include RV, Marine, and assorted other interests. The RV Life community consists of now 33 related sites/forums including popular sites and forums like RV Park Reviews, iRV2.com, many brand specific forums, RV Life Magazine, and more, including this forum of course. From what I've seen on other forums acquired by Social Knowledge, Andy and Janet pretty much stay in the background, letting the individual forum management teams continue the community format that drew their members to them in the first place.

Forum software updates/upgrades/changes are a fact of digital life for a variety of reasons, and the experience the Social Knowledge team has developed while updating other forums should be very helpful in making a transition here as smooth as possible. There will be changes in features, appearance, etc, that some of us will like and some of us won't, but my approach to such changes has always been "If it was like this when I first came here, would I have stayed?" As long as the "heart" of this forum stays the same, I think the majority of us by far will answer "Yes" to that, even as we mumble about getting used to the new layout.  ;)

http://www.socialknowledge.com/our-communities/

I've been acquainted with Andy & Janet for many years and have been on the staff at other sites operated by Social Knowledge-RV Life.  I'm confident that the style of this forum will be whatever administrators and moderators make it.  Unless some stranger gets appointed as chief administrator (not Andy's style!), we can expect little change except for the transition to more modern software.  I've always found both Andy & Janet to be pleasant to work with and ever helpful.

Thanks for the welcome and for starting this discussion.  I was under the assumption we could field questions on the announcement thread.  No wonder it was so quite!

Understood on all points above.  XenForo 2.1 is under development.  Odds are we will wait for that version to be release before testing a migration and having a test install for us to play with.  We can post a link to the test install for review and feedback.

Tom is correct on how he described our community management style.  We understand each community is unique and has it?s own vibe.

We are also building a native app that will be focused on low bandwidth (ie turn images off).  So it will provide another RV friendly way to access the forum.

Given the posts go newest to oldest, i read this string before i got to Tom's announcement and Andy's hello.
    First, Tom thank you for your years of service and dedication.  As stated, this Forum is well run as well as friendly and helpful.  Over the years we have made great friends, many of which we only ever see online, but those we met through Rallies or mini-rallies, continue to be friends.  So much so that despite that we are presently between RV's I continue to keep in touch via the forum, and mini -rallies, or even on Wednesday evenings around the Virtual Campfire.
    Andy, you can expect everyone's full support as long as you continue to provide anywhere near the product that I have experienced for many years.  Again, welcome to the Forum, look around, get to know us and we will support your efforts.

Ed

Thanks for the kind comments Ed.

Given the posts go newest to oldest...

That's something you can easily change in your Profile. See this explanation on our Help page (button in the menu above). Some folks preefer one format, while others prefer the opposite.

Interesting choice of new platform. I have recently been peripherally involved in the startup of a local community forum and the platform of choice was xenForo. My RV Forum usage made the transition to the local forum very easy, except that some of my RV Forum habits have to be slightly modified and, in the long run, will work out better than SMF.

And I'd like to piggyback onto Ed's comments and best wishes.

I've also been involved with Andy and Janet on a couple of other sites they run.  They're good people and strong supporters of the RV community.

Joel (AKA docj)

Lots of familiar faces on this discussion... the internet is not so big a place as you might expect ;)
Andy and I are both RVers and actually go to know each other through his first forum (AIRforums.com).  I registered at that site as a member because I had just purchased my first camper and needed to know something about fixing and maintaining it.  It was my first forum experience and I learned the value of forum communities. They can be fun, informative and most importantly can be a doorway to meet other like minded folks. Many of the people I met on that first forum have become life long friends - we camp together and that circle of friends has been ever expanding.

Over the years I've learned that each forum has it's own vibe, just the way a group of friends might have it's own unique habits, likes and dislikes.  I'm happy to be here and get to know everyone and will be available to help as needed.  While it is likely that down the road we may move to another software platform that shouldn't change the community function or vibe.  Changing the board software is more akin to moving an existing family into a new house - the family doesn't change only the surroundings.  There is no rush to move and so for now, I'm glad to be here and am looking forward to getting to know everyone.  Toms done a great job building this community and will continue as will the site team; the laid back vibe here is a testament to their dedication. 

One other person I forgot to introduce to you all in my last post is Mike.  He's one of our technical leads who will assist with the server move, software migration, etc.  Just like Janet, he's a gem, I never met a person who didn't like Mike!  He'll be along at some point to say hello and/or post an announcement about moving the current site to a new server.

Thanks for the mention of the server move Andy, I omitted that in my earlier comments. As you know, Mike and I have talked via email and conference call and, although we don't have a definite date for the move, we know it's imminent. Folks should be aware that we expect it to be transparent to members, with little or no downtime. It will take a finite amount of time (maybe 2-3 hours), but will be done in wee hours, so as to minimize the impact on our membersEdit: Clarified the time required to transfer the site between servers.

Welcome aboard Andy, Janet, and Mike! I know there will be lot's of good things to look forward to, and as long as we maintain The RV Forum "identity", it will all work out well no matter what software/platform changes are made down the road.

I was feeling pretty good until the mention of IRV2. That forum is the slowest loading and most frustrating forum I have used. I look at it and post occasionally, but I really, really dislike the multiple page refreshes that are required before you can click a link. I am hoping and praying that isn?t the same forum software RVForum is moving to.

UTTransplant said:
I was feeling pretty good until the mention of IRV2. That forum is the slowest loading and most frustrating forum I have used. I look at it and post occasionally, but I really, really dislike the multiple page refreshes that are required before you can click a link.

With all due respect, I spend a lot of time on IRV2 and have none of the difficulties you report.  Possibly there's a conflict between some setting on your computer and  that website.

[quote author=UTTransplant]I am hoping and praying that isn?t the same forum software RVForum is moving to.[/quote]
iRV2 uses vBulletin, not Xenforo that we'll eventually move to. Completely different environments.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom