Forum's exciting future

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I too am a regular at IRV2 and no no difficulties like UTTransplant describes.  But we've seen similar things here, where one or two members see performance problems that most others do not.  So many variables - different systems and browsers, different paths thru the Net to reach a site, different ISPs, etc. 

docj said:
With all due respect, I spend a lot of time on IRV2 and have none of the difficulties you report.  Possibly there's a conflict between some setting on your computer and  that website.
I never use a computer for forums. I use an iPad or iPhone exclusively, and I have heard other users of tablets complain as well. I know about the Tapntalk app they use too, but it doesn?t provide many of the features the website version has. Glad to hear that?s not the version we are going to.

The RV Park Reviews forum switched to XenForo awhile ago, and yes, there were some "birthing pains" as both the software and the members got settled in, but now it's rolling along nicely. I look forward to seeing it here, although I have no complaints about the current SMF package. Hopefully the lessons learned there will carry over to here as well, making the transition a bit smoother.

LOL Lars. Some years ago I admin'd on a forum running on vB, and was not in the least impressed. After Xenforo's founder left the vB developmen team, a lot of forums dumped vB in favor of XF.

Well, I'm in.
I have long been just along for the ride.
I'm game for whatever comes. If it gets too weird, I can just move along.

First, welcome to Andy, Janet and Mike!

Tom, for clarification for my feeble mind, you have essentially "sold" the RVForum to Andy, et.al.  and he has retained you in an administrator role for the foreseeable future?
Current plans call for NO CHANGES, but a new platform is coming, and was coming whether this sale happened or not.  The sale "bought" great expertise for this transition.
Old threads will be part of the transition??
The price of membership will remain the same?

Tom, thanks for your years of selfless service and support of the Forum.  I looked at several before landing here.  This IS the most friendly and easiest to maneuver of any of the forums I tried.  You have developed a great platform!

UTTransplant said:
I was feeling pretty good until the mention of IRV2. That forum is the slowest loading and most frustrating forum I have used. I look at it and post occasionally, but I really, really dislike the multiple page refreshes that are required before you can click a link. I am hoping and praying that isn?t the same forum software RVForum is moving to.
I too have trouble with it using my tablet. The screen seems to keep refreshing and moving, drives me crazy. I thought it might be the ads...  it's the reason I don't use it much. Prefer the layout here.

[quote author=grashley]you have essentially "sold" the RVForum to Andy, et.al.  and he has retained you in an administrator role for the foreseeable future?[/quote]
RV-Life (owned by Andy) has acquired the assets of The RV Forum. I'm not on any kind of retainer, but continue here as a volunteer (as I've done for the last 25 years), and as forum Administrator (as I've done for the last 15 years). I no longer have to worry about paying the bills, or managing a server.

Current plans call for NO CHANGES, but a new platform is coming, and was coming whether this sale happened or not.
AFAIK no changes are planned for the forum staff. Our site will move to RV-Life's servers imminently, and will continue to run on our existing software (SMF) that we've used for the last 15 years. One or more of RV-Life's other sites/forums has been running the planned new software (Xenforo), and I have experience running it on a couple of other sites. My plan was to migrate when the time is right, and that's Andy's current plan.

Old threads will be part of the transition??
All prior topics and messages will be migrated, and that was one of my concerns while waiting on the migration; It needs to be a 'clean' migration, moving all topics, messages, attachments, member profiles, avatars, and a number of other things. We have a large knowledgebase that needs to be retained.

In addition to the forum software, we have a web site and forum library, and 'live RV chat' that run on different software. AFAIK there have been no discussions on changing them but, if/when it comes up, be assured that an informed decision will be made.

The price of membership will remain the same?
AFAIK it will be same $0, but that would be Andy's call.

... thanks for your years of selfless service and support of the Forum....
You're very welcome, and it has been my pleasure to serve our members. Thanks for the kind comments.

I have had a few discussions with Andy and Janet and feel that the forum will continue to run pretty much as it has with Tom at the helm.  Most of the changes will be invisible to the members.  I plan on sticking around. It's still the best RV forum on the web.

Tom.  It sounds like your blood pressure is about to go DOWN or rather your need for blood pressure medication.. (I know mine did when I retired)... Congrats and long life to you.

Thanks John. To date, I've found the RV-Life team good to work with.

Not sure I understand or need to understand all the technical ins and outs of the transition but as long as I can continue to read and post about RVs I will be happy.  Thanks for laying it out in clear form Tom and welcome to the new owners.

Bill

Aye Bill, we'll do our best to make it painless and, where possible, transparent for our members. We've gone through a number of software and hardware changes in the past, the most painful being when Compuserve/AOL imposed a major software change that had numerous members up in arms. Moving away from CS/AOL allowed us to stabilize things somewhat over the last 15 years.

My 2 cents...Andy and gang have a high bar to meet after Tom and gang's long run. But, I'm sure it will be fine.

Thanks, Tom, for the great work you have done and welcome aboard, Andy.

I don't have any idea of the financial transaction but as a Forum member for the past 20+ years and someone who's had the pleasure of meeting Tom and Chris on several occasions, I'm certain that the long term future of the Forum, not the money involved, was the motivation behind the sale. 

Considering his dedication to the Forum and the countless hours he has put in maintaining and supporting it over the past 25 years, Tom more than deserves every penny he may have gotten from the sale and then some.

Thank you, Tom and welcome Andy and crew!

Lou Schneider said:
I don't have any idea of the financial transaction but as a Forum member for the past 20+ years and someone who's had the pleasure of meeting Tom and Chris on several occasions, I'm certain that the long term future of the Forum, not the money involved, was the motivation behind the sale. 

Considering his dedication to the Forum and the countless hours he has put in maintaining and supporting it over the past 25 years, Tom more than deserves every penny he may have gotten from the sale and then some.

Thank you, Tom and welcome Andy and crew!
;D  I got impression a few times that Tom would have paid someone to take over.

Back
Top Bottom