control arms, bushings and, ball joints

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Deano2002

when looking for the parts above, I seem to be getting a lot of referencing to rear drum brake models rather than disc, which is what I have. Does someone have a source for the 1989 P30 control arms with ball joint. This is what I keep coming up with;  https://www.partsgeek.com/5ryvftz-chevrolet-p30-control-arm.html?utm_source=shopzilla&utm_medium=pf&utm_content=dc&utm_campaign=PartsGeek+ShopZilla&fp=pp&utm_term=Chevrolet+Control+Arm

Take the VIN to a NAPA Truck parts store. Not your normal NAPA owned by a local person but a NAPA TRUCK parts place. I have 4 wheel discs on the 1989 chassis but my Southwind is a 1990.
There is usually some confusion about what year chassis unless you use the VIN number

Deano2002 said:
when looking for the parts above, I seem to be getting a lot of referencing to rear drum brake models rather than disc, which is what I have. Does someone have a source for the 1989 P30 control arms with ball joint. This is what I keep coming up with;  https://www.partsgeek.com/5ryvftz-chevrolet-p30-control-arm.html?utm_source=shopzilla&utm_medium=pf&utm_content=dc&utm_campaign=PartsGeek+ShopZilla&fp=pp&utm_term=Chevrolet+Control+Arm

GM no longer makes control arms for p30's  The ones you are finding fit the smaller/lighter p30's  in the 22-26' range that used rear drums. Those Lower Control arms also  fit a bunch of different GM trucks so they are still available in the aftermarket. The p30's with rear discs like yours used heavier/thicker front control arms with larger ball joints and pivot shafts. You can still get the ball joints and press them in  yourself with a  clamp type press or you can remove the control arm assembly and have a machine shop do them for you

This morning I got some info from a friend who redid the front end on his 1994 Itasca 32 two years ago . He said you can buy  lower control arm shaft kits for your model. A company named "Rare parts "markets them through  several chain autoparts stores .  Try googling "RP17211" He said he got AC Delco upper and lower ball joints from Napa. The shafts he bought through Advance. He and I both suggest you check your front springs for ride height. If they need replacement  now is the time to do it.

heavy duty upper control arms are still available, I couldn't find the lowers though but if bushings and ball joints are available, no need to buy the complete control arm. I am familiar with rare parts which are costly but less than super steer as far as the bell cranks. Do you happen to have any part numbers for the bushing kits and ball joints? 

ricknc said:
This morning I got some info from a friend who redid the front end on his 1994 Itasca 32 two years ago . He said you can buy  lower control arm shaft kits for your model. A company named "Rare parts "markets them through  several chain autoparts stores .  Try googling "RP17211" He said he got AC Delco upper and lower ball joints from Napa. The shafts he bought through Advance. He and I both suggest you check your front springs for ride height. If they need replacement  now is the time to do it.
260.00 is an awful lot of money for the shafts

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/moog-suspension-control-arm-and-ball-joint-assembly-rk621076/10616113-p?c3ch=PLA&c3nid=10616113-P&adtype=pla_with_promotion&gclid=CjwKCAjwpeXeBRA6EiwAyoJPKgVgBozpnSh2TU8Js_48UWlTpmnlC0CBS_tmi13FKEEqPapr9WufSBoCyzIQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds#

ricknc said:
:)) looks like you are all set!
well according to Dorman, the rear disc brake set up has a heavier duty suspension than even what's listed at heavy duty when looking for these control arms. Autozone does not ask questions as to disc or drum concerning these but, I might just get away with ball joints and bushings. Hope I dont need bell cranks as they are costly and, super steer and rare part are all that has them

AFAIK you can still get the bellcrank housing with bushings through gm #15728066  You may need to have a machine shop ream it to fit your shaft I would guess under $150 total for each bell crank.  BTW if you are buying Supersteer products they are discounted slightly if you buy through RVupgrades including free shipping.

thanks for the tip, I wonder if the front end guys checked them out carefully when they aligned this thing, it is a reputable shop

Back
Top Bottom