Winterizing with compressed air

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pz

I have wanted to use compressed air to winterize because both me and the missus are retired and we want to RV later in the season than when we were working - we can get snap freezes in north Idaho. Using the RV antifreeze we always used before is not viable solution because we use the air to purge the lines after each trip when threatened with freezing temperatures.

I purchased a 3 gallon oil-less compressor from Harbor Freight for $44, an accessory kit with hoses and connectors plus sealer tape, and a couple of fittings from Lowes.  Tried it the other day and it works well.

Nice thing is that I can take the compressor along because it is so small.

Attachments

• IMG_7480.JPG
    IMG_7480.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_7479.JPG
    IMG_7479.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 68
Gary RV_Wizard said:
Walmart or Amazon can solve that problem for you:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-36143-Blow-Out-Plug-for-RV-Winterizing/29764314

I just received my order for one of these gizmos. Also bought the female version which comes in very handy for blowing out garden hoses & faucets:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M9FHCWZ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

After reading some warnings about the effects of too much air pressure, I also bought this kit for our VIAIR system. Pretty pricey, but better safe I figure:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DQGNC6H/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2APBYF0UO6PK8&psc=1

Joezeppy said:
Welcome to the "air only" club. Been doing it for 10 years and love how easy it is.

I bought all the fittings etc. AFTER we had already done the Pink stuff. Will go the air route when de-winterizing next. Question:
Do you connect the compressor and turn on outlets one at a time-- sink, shower, low points etc. or just leave everything open?

I open one faucet at a time and like Jim said, till no more water runs out. Then I let the pressure build up again. When all done, I go around and do it all over again just to make sure.

Me too on the air! I just drain the hot water tank first, it goes much quicker that way and it's easy to drain. And as noted above reduce the air pressure to typical water pressure, I use 25 which is probably a bit low but it works good. Go faucet by faucet/shower/toilet and repeat a few times then I go back to the hot water tank and it's done. But don't forget the drain traps! Add some antifreeze for them and I also put some in the toilet to keep the seal wet.

Rene T said:
I open one faucet at a time and like Jim said, till no more water runs out. Then I let the pressure build up again. When all done, I go around and do it all over again just to make sure.

I like the idea of that 2nd pass. Better safe...
We'll definitely use this air method next time. One thing I'm not sure about-- and haven't looked closely at it yet-- is how would this work for our washer/dryer combo. (?)

jymbee said:
I like the idea of that 2nd pass. Better safe...
We'll definitely use this air method next time. One thing I'm not sure about-- and haven't looked closely at it yet-- is how would this work for our washer/dryer combo. (?)

Look at your owners manual. I'm pretty sure there are steps in there which you need to do. At a minimum, you'll have to disconnect the water hoses and blow out those lines also.  I seem to remember that you'll need to dump some pink stuff inside the washer and run it through a spin cycle or something like that. If you don't have a manual, let us know and I'll pull mine out.
Is yours a Splendide Combo?

Joezeppy said:
Welcome to the "air only" club. Been doing it for 10 years and love how easy it is.

Guess I better chide in as well -- "ME TOO !!  Only way to go.  Been telling people on the other forum about this way and saw a post where a lady says that she has been using the pink for 41 years and has never had a problem.  She said yessir, 6 gallons of pink and never had an issue.  I told her with all the pink she used, I could have blown out and winterized over 1200 RVs.  I also suggested that she could probably go a couple of years without using any pink because her lines will gradually release the pink that has been stored for 41 years.  :D  I hope that she doesn't take me literally.  :(

Jimdamedic said:
We do one at a time. Air until no water comes out, then move onto another faucet.

One at a time.  You may have to allow time for pressure to buildup again ( I use 30-35 PSI) before opening a second tap,  I run these all 2-3 times.  Better to have two people doing th job, but it is quite easy for one - over a beer.

Rene T said:
Look at your owners manual. I'm pretty sure there are steps in there which you need to do. At a minimum, you'll have to disconnect the water hoses and blow out those lines also.  I seem to remember that you'll need to dump some pink stuff inside the washer and run it through a spin cycle or something like that. If you don't have a manual, let us know and I'll pull mine out.
Is yours a Splendide Combo?

Thanks much-- I was able to download the manual and as you remembered, there's a couple of different procedures if you're using the pink. What I can't seem to find is any way to get at the supply lines for the washer. I was crawling around under the coach back where the washer is located (far rear/left) but nothing was visible. Perhaps we can just do the recommended steps with the washer and blow out the other lines. (?)

The washer hoses should be accessable from the top/sides of the washer. There should be a couple of shut off valves also where the 2 hoses connect to.

Back
Top Bottom