Question about trailer wiring

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoeKan

Hello,
I'm hoping someone here will be able to help me. I have a GMC 3/4 truck bed trailer whose trailer hitch doesn't fit into my plug on 2011 Silverado. I bought a new connector that will fit the truck (6 pins + 1 in the middle) The trailer connector off my truck bed trailer is a 4-wire pin with one spare.
What do I do next?
I know with my new connector I won't need all the pins, like for an electric brake but how can I transfer the right wires to the right terminals?
Thank you for any help,
Joe

I looked at those but the trailer connector is actually round, not flat. Also, it is a 6 pin, but only using 4 wire. I'm not sure why they hooked it up that way but that's what I've got to work with.

LOL - expertise in using Google can make one an instant expert in most any field.

There are adapters to mate a 6-pin round to a 7-pin, but I suspect the camper 6-pin would not be one of the standard pin-outs anyway. But maybe this would help:

https://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Hopkins/47549.html

I think I would replace the camper 6-pin with a 7-pin, though. Just use the 4 pins you need, whatever they may be.

Back
Top Bottom