rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Building a new System  (Read 11883 times)

ClassyC

• ---
Re: Building a new System
« Reply #90 on: March 23, 2019, 01:54:10 PM »
Robert - Consult your tax professional but if your RV is your second home then yes, a 30% credit for all expenditures to put a solar system on it is deductible on taxes. Note that this is an actual credit, not a deduction so its a big deal.    This goes down to 27% next year. And I think keeps going down after that...
Iíll look for you going by ;D

ClassyC

• ---
« Reply #91 on: March 23, 2019, 02:02:44 PM »
Here is one link with some more detailed background info ( I have no affiliation).
https://www.wholesalesolar.com/solar-information/federal-tax-credit

Kathy & Bill

• ---
« Reply #92 on: March 24, 2019, 09:20:47 PM »
I looked at the Lion Energy website.  The main thing I came away with is a distinct lack of detailed info.  Additionally the info they do provide is promotional in nature rather than informative.   
--  There is no mention of a BMS (battery monitor system). 
--  The FAQ section talks about a "generator" and includes words about 120V AC power.  But the info needed is about a battery they rate at 100AH. 
--  If companies won't provide precise detailed info on their website I would be reluctant to trust them with my money.

I was thinking the same thing.  I've never seen them anyplace else which makes me uneasy also.  They do have an appealing price, $799 at Continuous Resources, but I think I'll order the Battle Born's and hope they come in time for my trip.

Bill & Kathy
Western NY
2019 Coachman Apex 265RBSS
2012 Silverado 1500, 5.3L

Kathy & Bill

• ---
« Reply #93 on: March 30, 2019, 08:52:24 PM »
Even though they are calling for snow tonight, we got the camper out of storage and it's in the driveway!   :)  I have most of the pieces for the 12 volt system except the batteries and cables.  I've been told that I should have the batteries by the 24th of April.  I hope this is true because we leave on our trip the 27th.  If they don't come in on time... well I guess I'll be up RV's creek without a battery.

The plan tomorrow is to get everything laid out so I can get cable lengths and get those ordered.  I have plenty to keep me busy until the cables are delivered.  Mount the Inverter and remote, Victron battery monitor, hard wired surge-guard and remote and two MaxxFan's.

The friend of mine where I store the camper in his barn helped me Wednesday install a wet-bolt kit and a Lippert Equa-Flex equalizer.  Pulling it home today it seemed to be a little smoother.  You didn't get that extra jarring as much from the camper when you go over a bump/ruff road.  So far it seems to be a worthwhile upgrade.

I'll try and take pictures of before/after/during the build.  I usually get involved in what I'm doing and forget about the pics though.  Looking forward to getting started tomorrow.. that is if I don't get called to work because of the weather.

Again.. thanks to all for the advise/ideas/comments over the winter.  This is a Great resource!

« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 08:55:20 PM by Kathy & Bill »
Bill & Kathy
Western NY

solarman

• ---
« Reply #94 on: April 01, 2019, 12:54:02 PM »
I always find these Lithium battery sites a great source of amusement..

here are the specs from the website..

***   Last longer - 14 x the life cycle

14 times eh..  well the trojans on my small camper have a cycle life of about 1500 cycles
therefore these would need to be 14 x 1500 = 21000 cycles.. sure..
or lifespan.. well trojans are good for 5 years so these need to do 70 years.. LOL

******    Longer run time - Camp longer, dump 5x more

ok, so FLA to 50% DOD equates to Lithium at about 80% that's not five times more..
if you size Lithium to replace FLA then you will have the same capacity..
else you have at best 80% dod instead of 50%

the only dumping here seems to be the five times pile of bullsh*t

******    Zero maintenance - Retains charge 3x longer

mostly correct, i'll give them that one...

Fast charge time - 15% faster
    Weighs less - Up to 4x less

******    Green safe - No emissions, no carbon footprint

except for the horrendous amount of carbon energy that it took to manufacture them in the first place.. !!
and also the toxic waste from recycling when they do die on you.. oh and don't forget to tell the fire boss
about those cracked open batteries when you have wreck and you're on fire.... see how they like that..

« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 12:58:07 PM by solarman »
KZ MXT20 480 W solar
ORV 24RKS 960 Watts solar
48V LFP, 2000W inverter/charger
Ram 2500 CTD

Kathy & Bill

• ---
« Reply #95 on: April 07, 2019, 07:48:18 AM »
A productive day yesterday.  Got everything tore apart (DW was a little nervous when she walked in and saw what I did) so I could get the AC and remote wires pulled.  Surge Guard and remote installed, Inverter and remote mounted, Victron battery monitor mounted, AC wiring and remote wires pulled.

Today is supposed to be another nice day so the plan is to get on the roof and tackle the new Maxx fans install.  If that goes smoothly I'll pull the short DC runs under the camper so I can get that sealed back up.  Calling for rain most of the week so I'll save the inside work for then.

Attached are a few pics....
Bill & Kathy
Western NY

AStravelers

• ---
  • Part time travelers, 4-8 months each year.
« Reply #96 on: April 07, 2019, 04:09:58 PM »
Looks like nice quality work.
Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G
2020 Chevy Colorado 4X4 Diesel
650 watts residential solar panels--400AH Lithium batteries

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

Kathy & Bill

• ---
« Reply #97 on: April 07, 2019, 06:39:11 PM »
Looks like nice quality work.

Thanks....
Bill & Kathy
Western NY

Kathy & Bill

• ---
« Reply #98 on: April 11, 2019, 07:45:24 PM »
Everything is coming along nicely.  Batteries were shipped Monday, although there is a delay because of the weather in Mid-west.  I have almost all the wiring and connections completed, two ground connections to the frame and then the battery cables to the Battle Born batteries.

Bill & Kathy
Western NY

Frank B

• ---
« Reply #99 on: April 13, 2019, 09:51:23 PM »
Very neat and classy! Makes my install look pretty crude by comparison....  :-[
Linux:  Free, open, elegant.
06 GMC 3500 Duramax crew/long pulling 2010 Arctic Fox 30U with 1700 lb Reese Titan Class 5.
1.2 kw solar

Kathy & Bill

• ---
« Reply #100 on: April 15, 2019, 08:48:38 PM »
Very neat and classy! Makes my install look pretty crude by comparison....  :-[

I don't know if I'd say that Frank...  I thought your Solar install was pretty sweet.  I'm hoping to do my solar next year.

I hooked up my single flooded battery to the new system and threw the switch... no sparks and everything seemed to work, so I guess I did okay.  The Xantrex Freedom XC 2000 seems like a pretty nice unit.  The hardwired Surge Guard unit has a pretty good hum/vibration to it.  I have it screwed tight to the floor, maybe mounting it differently would quite it down some.  The batteries should be delivered tomorrow and that's the last piece of the puzzle for now.  I'll set parameters for the inverter and battery monitor and we should be all set. 

Heading out on the 27th for a two week trip and can't wait to see how everything works out.

Bill & Kathy
Western NY

Kathy & Bill

• ---
« Reply #101 on: April 20, 2019, 12:36:14 PM »
Okay... everything is done , I'll wrap this thread up.

With the help from everyone that chimed in, everything seems to work fine.  I put the finishing touches on the battery install this morning.  A few routine checks and we'll be all set to head out next Sunday for two weeks and start enjoying the fruits of my labor.  Thanks again for all your help!!

A quick recap of the upgrades to the Truck and Camper....

Truck, 2012 1500 Silverado 5.3 liter;
Installed a 25 row Derale Stacked Plate Transmission Cooler
Transmission filter and oil change, Full Synthetic
Mobile 1 Extended life oil and filter change
Banks Ram Air system, Jet throttle body spacer
MSD plug wires, Bosch Double Platinum Spark Plugs

Camper, 2019 Apex 265-RBSS;
Lippert Equa-Flex with MORryde Wet bolt kit
Xantrex Freedom XC 2000 with remote
Hardwired Surge Guard with remote
Victron 712 Battery monitor
4 - 100 Ah LiPo batteries from Battle Born
2 - Maxx Air Deluxe fans
SurFlow accumulator tank and pump silencer kit

« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 01:01:50 PM by Kathy & Bill »
Bill & Kathy
Western NY

Gizmo100

• ---
« Reply #102 on: April 20, 2019, 04:04:17 PM »
Very nice and neat ....
2017 Heartland Trail runner 24 SLE
2017 Ford F150 3.5 Eco boost

To be 1/2 the man my dog thinks I am...But twice the man My wife thinks I am...

Drewd

• ---
« Reply #103 on: April 20, 2019, 09:06:52 PM »
May I make one suggestion?  Please use split loom tubing (I call it split loom conduit) on wiring that is or has potential to rub against each other.  Not needed for a stationary installation but I was almost down to bare/esposed wire on 2/00 gauge wires where it was touching each other on the run to my inverter.  The short would have been ugly for the microsecond it took to blow my inline fuses from each battery bank.  Our RV's bounce around a lot and I'm a bigger safety freak from my experience.

You have a very clean install and it looks great, BTW!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 09:09:08 PM by Drewd »

Kathy & Bill

• ---
« Reply #104 on: April 24, 2019, 05:19:02 PM »
May I make one suggestion?  Please use split loom tubing (I call it split loom conduit) on wiring that is or has potential to rub against each other.  Not needed for a stationary installation but I was almost down to bare/esposed wire on 2/00 gauge wires where it was touching each other on the run to my inverter.  The short would have been ugly for the microsecond it took to blow my inline fuses from each battery bank.  Our RV's bounce around a lot and I'm a bigger safety freak from my experience.

You have a very clean install and it looks great, BTW!

That's probably a very good idea where my runs to the inverter go through the wall.  Thanks for your input...  :))
Bill & Kathy
Western NY

ClassyC

• ---
« Reply #105 on: April 24, 2019, 05:40:03 PM »
 Even Harbor Freight carries that wire wrap stuff if you canít find other source.

AStravelers

• ---
  • Part time travelers, 4-8 months each year.
« Reply #106 on: April 26, 2019, 06:05:21 AM »
Or Amazon.  Just search Amazon for "wire loom" or "split loom".  They have a selection of diameters.  Local stores sometimes only have limited sizes & lengths.
Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G
2020 Chevy Colorado 4X4 Diesel
650 watts residential solar panels--400AH Lithium batteries

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/