Building a new System

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Kathy & Bill said:
Very good, thank you much solarman.  I forgot about the chassis ground in my planning.  Hopefully I would have remembered when I was putting everything together.

Having a little trouble finding a 250 amp breaker that also can be used as a disconnect.  I found this one; https://www.amazon.com/XSCORPION-CB250-Circuit-Breaker-Manual/dp/B00MR1LVZS,  but the reviews were not good at all.  This one; https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y454WHC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ALHXFZX1L0DAX&psc=1,  seems good and has positive reviews but no manual button for disconnect.

Anyone have a resource for such a breaker/disconnect at 250 amps?

https://www.waytekwire.com/products/1366/Circuit-Breakers/

While it could be "best" to go with the 250amp, I would be highly surprised to ever see the inverter pull 200amps and trip the 200amp CB/disconnect from Blue Sea I suggested earlier. 

Additionally the CB is a safety device so if something shorts out and pulls max amps available it will trip a 200amp CB sooner than a 250amp.

When I am using the inverter I don't try to use more than one high amp draw device at once.  My microwave pulls a max of 140amps DC.  I do have a toaster which can take 4 slices of bread.  It pulls 180amp of DC.  I guess if you try to use the microwave and a toaster or coffee pot, or hair dryer and the microwave at the same time you could have a problem.  I would be more worried about making the inverter work to the max or even overloading it by using 2 high power devices than popping a 200amp CB.

AStravelers said:
While it could be "best" to go with the 250amp, I would be highly surprised to ever see the inverter pull 200amps and trip the 200amp CB/disconnect from Blue Sea I suggested earlier. 

Additionally the CB is a safety device so if something shorts out and pulls max amps available it will trip a 200amp CB sooner than a 250amp.

When I am using the inverter I don't try to use more than one high amp draw device at once.  My microwave pulls a max of 140amps DC.  I do have a toaster which can take 4 slices of bread.  It pulls 180amp of DC.  I guess if you try to use the microwave and a toaster or coffee pot, or hair dryer and the microwave at the same time you could have a problem.  I would be more worried about making the inverter work to the max or even overloading it by using 2 high power devices than popping a 200amp CB.

that's a reasonable argument..

avoid running at max load and fit one of these..

https://www.waytekwire.com/item/48909/Mechanical-Products-175-S2-200-2-Surface-Mount/

and your good to go...

solarman said:
ok, i had a few minutes to draw this on my board.. it's quick and dirty, but you
will see the general format of things.
Question. What does "BS Feeds" out of the dist. block stand for? 
Thanks, Pat

Blues Driver said:
Question. What does "BS Feeds" out of the dist. block stand for? 
Thanks, Pat

LOL.. sorry, it's my chicken scratch writing...

that says "Pos" as in positive..

Has anyone heard of these, know where they are made, any info good or bad?

https://lionenergy.com/products/lion-safari-ut

I went to order batteries today from Battle Born and they have a two or three week back-order time.  I ran across this other brand but can't find much info about them.

Getting ready to start putting things together.  Wednesday I'm installing the Equa-Flex Equalizer and a Mor/ryde wet bolt kit.  Then I'll be bring it home from storage and upgrading the 12 volt electrical system.  We have a trip planned for April 28th so it's crunch time.

I read you want to do this in stages and I see you started buying stuff.  Just wanted to point out the solar tax credit of 30% if you buy the solar panels this year as well since you need all the components you are currently buying to implement the system, they might be deducted too.

Classy C
You can use that credit for rv use? I am going to add a couple of panels when I run out of other projects.

By the way I am about 30 miles due west of you in wyoming county.If you see an older Safari on rt 70 or 36 its us. We come thru there 4 to 5 times a year

Bob

Kathy & Bill said:
Has anyone heard of these, know where they are made, any info good or bad?

https://lionenergy.com/products/lion-safari-ut

I went to order batteries today from Battle Born and they have a two or three week back-order time.  I ran across this other brand but can't find much info about them.

Getting ready to start putting things together.  Wednesday I'm installing the Equa-Flex Equalizer and a Mor/ryde wet bolt kit.  Then I'll be bring it home from storage and upgrading the 12 volt electrical system.  We have a trip planned for April 28th so it's crunch time.
I looked at the Lion Energy website.  The main thing I came away with is a distinct lack of detailed info.  Additionally the info they do provide is promotional in nature rather than informative. 
--  There is no mention of a BMS (battery monitor system). 
--  The FAQ section talks about a "generator" and includes words about 120V AC power.  But the info needed is about a battery they rate at 100AH. 
--  If companies won't provide precise detailed info on their website I would be reluctant to trust them with my money.

Robert - Consult your tax professional but if your RV is your second home then yes, a 30% credit for all expenditures to put a solar system on it is deductible on taxes. Note that this is an actual credit, not a deduction so its a big deal.    This goes down to 27% next year. And I think keeps going down after that...
I?ll look for you going by ;D

Here is one link with some more detailed background info ( I have no affiliation).
https://www.wholesalesolar.com/solar-information/federal-tax-credit

AStravelers said:
I looked at the Lion Energy website.  The main thing I came away with is a distinct lack of detailed info.  Additionally the info they do provide is promotional in nature rather than informative. 
--  There is no mention of a BMS (battery monitor system). 
--  The FAQ section talks about a "generator" and includes words about 120V AC power.  But the info needed is about a battery they rate at 100AH. 
--  If companies won't provide precise detailed info on their website I would be reluctant to trust them with my money.

I was thinking the same thing.  I've never seen them anyplace else which makes me uneasy also.  They do have an appealing price, $799 at Continuous Resources, but I think I'll order the Battle Born's and hope they come in time for my trip.

Even though they are calling for snow tonight, we got the camper out of storage and it's in the driveway!  :)  I have most of the pieces for the 12 volt system except the batteries and cables.  I've been told that I should have the batteries by the 24th of April.  I hope this is true because we leave on our trip the 27th.  If they don't come in on time... well I guess I'll be up RV's creek without a battery.

The plan tomorrow is to get everything laid out so I can get cable lengths and get those ordered.  I have plenty to keep me busy until the cables are delivered.  Mount the Inverter and remote, Victron battery monitor, hard wired surge-guard and remote and two MaxxFan's.

The friend of mine where I store the camper in his barn helped me Wednesday install a wet-bolt kit and a Lippert Equa-Flex equalizer.  Pulling it home today it seemed to be a little smoother.  You didn't get that extra jarring as much from the camper when you go over a bump/ruff road.  So far it seems to be a worthwhile upgrade.

I'll try and take pictures of before/after/during the build.  I usually get involved in what I'm doing and forget about the pics though.  Looking forward to getting started tomorrow.. that is if I don't get called to work because of the weather.

Again.. thanks to all for the advise/ideas/comments over the winter.  This is a Great resource!

I always find these Lithium battery sites a great source of amusement..

here are the specs from the website..

***  Last longer - 14 x the life cycle

14 times eh..  well the trojans on my small camper have a cycle life of about 1500 cycles
therefore these would need to be 14 x 1500 = 21000 cycles.. sure..
or lifespan.. well trojans are good for 5 years so these need to do 70 years.. LOL

******    Longer run time - Camp longer, dump 5x more

ok, so FLA to 50% DOD equates to Lithium at about 80% that's not five times more..
if you size Lithium to replace FLA then you will have the same capacity..
else you have at best 80% dod instead of 50%

the only dumping here seems to be the five times pile of bullsh*t

******    Zero maintenance - Retains charge 3x longer

mostly correct, i'll give them that one...

Fast charge time - 15% faster
    Weighs less - Up to 4x less

******    Green safe - No emissions, no carbon footprint

except for the horrendous amount of carbon energy that it took to manufacture them in the first place.. !!
and also the toxic waste from recycling when they do die on you.. oh and don't forget to tell the fire boss
about those cracked open batteries when you have wreck and you're on fire.... see how they like that..

A productive day yesterday.  Got everything tore apart (DW was a little nervous when she walked in and saw what I did) so I could get the AC and remote wires pulled.  Surge Guard and remote installed, Inverter and remote mounted, Victron battery monitor mounted, AC wiring and remote wires pulled.

Today is supposed to be another nice day so the plan is to get on the roof and tackle the new Maxx fans install.  If that goes smoothly I'll pull the short DC runs under the camper so I can get that sealed back up.  Calling for rain most of the week so I'll save the inside work for then.

Attached are a few pics....

Attachments

• 0001.jpg
    0001.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 28
  • 0002.jpg
    0002.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 0003.jpg
    0003.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 22
  • 0004.jpg
    0004.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 21
  • 0005.jpg
    0005.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 24
  • 0006.jpg
    0006.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 23
  • 0007.jpg
    0007.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 28
Everything is coming along nicely.  Batteries were shipped Monday, although there is a delay because of the weather in Mid-west.  I have almost all the wiring and connections completed, two ground connections to the frame and then the battery cables to the Battle Born batteries.

Attachments

• 0008.jpg
    0008.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 30
  • 0009.jpg
    0009.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 30
Back
Top Bottom