screws... square heads, how to keep IN place???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tanglemoose

We have a curtain with rail across the ceiling... noticed today screws are coming out. Of course they are stripped and won't just let you screw them back in??? Suggestions..... always afraid to use bigger screw in rv...

Also,  screws missing loose  out of quarter panel above tires outside and tore it. On that we had screws with nuts but how do you keep screws in...

Thanks@

The toothpick trick works for a while.  A while longer if you use wood glue with the toothpicks.  But in extreme cases I've drilled out the hole to fit a dowel rod, glued the rod in, and put the screw in the rod.  Longer screws usually work better too.

When you say "bigger screw", you should think "larger diameter screw", or "longer screw". Depends on the situation.>>>Dan

Unfortunately, the toothpick hack doesn't work when the screw is going into thin material like paneling. A friend used nutserts or rivnuts and machine screws in a couple of places on his.

I had one (Cloths bar in closet) where I tried everything suggested above. NOTHING worked. I wound up re-designing so I now have an "L" shaped corner brace at the end. It has not fallen down since

Hollow wall anchors (did not work for me but might for you)

tanglemoose said:
We have a curtain with rail across the ceiling... noticed today screws are coming out. Of course they are stripped and won't just let you screw them back in??? Suggestions..... always afraid to use bigger screw in rv...
tanglemoose
I've had good luck with the plastic "spiral screw anchors" pictured here: https://www.howtogeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/x2017-07-26_0010.jpg.pagespeed.gp+jp+jw+pj+ws+js+rj+rp+rw+ri+cp+md.ic.N5Ehe3E546.jpg

If you have the wall depth, that's fine.  But many RV walls are too thin to let these fit.  That's when you have to go to the rod and glue method.

I've used moly bolts with about a 6-32 or 8-32 screw.  There are several lengths depending on the attaching material thickness.
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_9_11?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=molly+bolts+1%2F8&sprefix=molly+bolts%2Caps%2C491&crid=1287ZIBK1IJRJ

First thing is to make sure it's only stripped, not rotting. If the surrounding wood is solid, use a wider screw and some wood glue to hold it in place. If the wider screw doesn't hold, then use a metal threaded insert with wood glue or a plastic screw style anchor.

I used threaded inserts on my particle board cabinets in my house because the particle board couldn't hold the pressure of the spring loaded hinges. I haven't had an issue since.
You can look at my instructable for more details.
https://www.instructables.com/id/Repairing-Stripped-Cabinet-Hinges/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom