Sanitizing your CPAP device

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tom, I hope this works for you. I haven't had mine that long but have had seemingly good results thus far. I don't see why a doctor would indicate that ozone is a bad way to clean and sanitize since it has been used in spas for many years. All it is is a three part oxygen molecule that is produced after rain storms. When you smell it for the first time, you'll recognize it. And when you sanitize your system, you'll smell it throughout your bedroom or wherever the system is located. It dissipates quick enough to not bother me, but like I said previously, it's a recommendation to run your system for about an hour before wanting to use it that night to clear the smell out of the tubing. It still won't all come out; that will take one or two uses, but I have had no adverse affects from it and can't believe it would cause any problems or it wouldn't be marketed. The So Clean system uses the same principles but costs over $300.

One thing others have stated is that the outside of your mask or pillows still need to be wiped off with a sanitizing wipe of some kind to ensure any germs are removed.

John, I might be being paranoid or overly concerned. I was reacting to comments I've read about the lack of adequate post-sanitizing dissipation time &/or residual 'dead' bacteria being possibly detrimental.

The small sanitizer showed up today, and has already been put to use. They tried to deliver it yesterday, but I received an email saying they "couldn't get into the building" &/or my company was "out of business". Eh  ???  This is a single family home, not in a gated community, and packages are left at our door almost daily.

Tom
Any thoughts or comments now that you've had it for a bit? I'm thinking about ordering the same machine and would appreciate your thoughts.

Bernie, I'd echo what John said. BTW it doesn't sanitize the mask/pillows or the small hose.

I recently purchased a used CPAP machine to leave in the MH. After I got it home I discovered the previous user was a smoker and the smoke odor was quite bad. I do not smoke. I have an ozone machine which I used to try to clean the odor. I got the odor down to a barely acceptable level, but need to reduce it more. Do you think this machine might clean it really good? Thanks!

Tom said:
Bernie, I'd echo what John said. BTW it doesn't sanitize the mask/pillows or the small hose.

Tom, take the other end of the hose off the machine and plug it into the sanitizer. Then, it will sanitize the small hose and mask or pillows. I consider this to be more important than sanitizing the water chamber because it's closer to your nose or mouth and will pick up more bacteria. The air is flowing out from the machine so there is less chance for the bacteria to work its way to the machine, while it will be in the mask and small tube immediately upon use. I'll do it this way 2 times for every one time I sanitize the machine's water chamber. Now, that having been said, if you use tap water to fill your water chamber, you'll have a greater chance of bacterial contamination there as well. I use water from my Ro system in the kitchen. When in the coach, I use filtrated water from the sink.

judway said:
I recently purchased a used CPAP machine to leave in the MH. After I got it home I discovered the previous user was a smoker and the smoke odor was quite bad. I do not smoke. I have an ozone machine which I used to try to clean the odor. I got the odor down to a barely acceptable level, but need to reduce it more. Do you think this machine might clean it really good? Thanks!

If you are still using the tube and mask that someone else used and that is where the smell is coming from, I would buy a new hose and mask. You shouldn't equipment that someone else has used anyway, for health reasons. Same goes with the water chamber. If the smell is originating from the machine itself, I can only guess that it might be coming from the filters. You probably have two and if you haven't changed them, get new ones. Other than that, I'm hard pressed to figure out how the smell can be coming from the machine and think your problem is outside the machine.

Personally, I wouldn't buy a used CPAP machine for fear the previous owner may have a communicable disease such as TB.

Everything except the machine is new. I used ozone to reduce the odor and I feel confident that the germs are dead. I can use it as it is, but would like to get the odor totally gone.

It came with a like new mask, but hesitate to use it unless I can be assured it clean.

I understand all you have said and feel that I have all that under control.

[quote author=John Stephens]take the other end of the hose off the machine and plug it into the sanitizer. Then, it will sanitize the small hose and mask or pillows.[/quote]
Thanks John, I realized I should have clarified that.
use water from my Ro system in the kitchen.
I usually use bottled water.

This has been an interesting thread for me.  I had a sleep study done last week and I expect to  hear I will need a CPAP machine soon.

Lowell, did you have the study done during an overnight at a sleep lab or hospital, or did you do the 3-night home study? I've had both. Most folks know ahead of time what the result is going to be, based on their daytime tiredness and sleeping partner's reports that they frequently stop breathing for extended periods during the night. The test results can be alarming when you hear how often you stop breathing.

The visual appearance of being hooked to a machine via a hose/mask combination can take a little adjustment for you &/or a partner, but the benefits are immediately noticeable to both; No repeated breaks in breathing during the night &/or cessation of snoring, and the absense of feeling tired the next day thanks to uninterrupted deep, recuperative sleep.

Regular folĺow-ups withe sleep Doc (anually in my case) and his/her analysis of the data card from your CPAP machine are painless and important.

Wayne, I was given a partially-used machine by a relative, but it sat unused. Calĺ me paranoid, but I couldn't bring myself to use it, and eventually put it in the e-waste recycling. That was before I became aware of the ability to sterilize the machine  :-[

Thanks Tom.

I previously purchased a unit as a backup and to use in the motorhome from a supplier on the internet. They sanitize them completely before sale. My son needed one so I gave it to him. He never used it and still has it.

The last one was placed in an ozone environment for about 12 hours or more so if ozone will kill all germs it should be safe. The odor was reduced greatly, but enough remains to be aggravating to a non smoker.

I studied the sanitizer discussed previously and it looks like it would be a good unit for me to use. They are available on eBay for a pretty good price.

I have a ResMed A10 with a heated hose (apparently not compatible) and pillow mask. I only use distilled water and wipe the mask with disinfecting wipes. With all of the issues involved with hooking up hoses and such, I think I'll pass on a sanitizer and stay with my current procedure. I had my previous machine for over 5 years with the same treatment and never had any hint of an issue. Thanks for all the help.

I've been using a machine for 7 years and I just use water from the faucet. Maybe I've been lucky, but I've never had any issues. I wash everything every week and a half or so.

I let the doggies drink/lick any residual water in the humidifier tank. They get it pretty clean, so no need to sanitize the tank  ::)

Tom said:
Lowell, did you have the study done during an overnight at a sleep lab or hospital, or did you do the 3-night home study?

Tom,

I had it done at a sleep lab. After a few hours, the lab assistant hooked me up to a CPAP machine.  He first tried a small nose only device and a chin strap to keep my mouth closed. I couldn't handle that.  It made me feel like I couldn't breath. Then he got a one that covered both my nose and mouth and that I could handle. That surprised me! I would of thought that I would have preferred the smaller one.  I'm sure it's just a matter of getting used to it. During the sleep study, the lab assistant changed the amount of air I was getting. At one point, I thought my cheeks felt like they were inflating. My doctor hasn't called me yet to let me know what the results of the study were. I expect I will hear this coming week.

Jim Johnson said:
It is recommended every day.  I talked to a lady over the weekend who has not done anything but wipe hers out for over 4 years.  I told her if there were germs in it they would be ready to graduate by now.
Jim Johnson
Wiping out works for me.
If you don't share your CPAP equipment the only germs you breathe in are the germs you breathed out.

lavarock1210 said:
I asked my respiratory doctor about the SoClean system. 

She was not impressed with the system.

She said you should still wipe out the mask with a sanitary wipe such as plain baby wipes without any deodorant etc.  ( That is what I use).

She also recommends rinsing and using fresh distilled water every day in the water reservoir.

The problem even if the SoClean kills the germs the dead germs are still there as food for new germs.

X'2 on the soClean. My doc says if you have money to burn go for it. Wipe it down every day. soap nand water bath once a week.

Back
Top Bottom