rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Sanitizing your CPAP device  (Read 684 times)

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
  • Celebrating 25 years of The RV Forum online.
    • RV Forum web site
Sanitizing your CPAP device
« on: October 28, 2018, 08:06:13 AM »
Over the years, I've found that the 'warm soapy water' method of cleaning my CPAP system is rather messy, and more so when in the confines of the RV bathroom. Searching online,  I see various 'CPAP sanitizing' devices, one of which gets a lot of TV ad time. Just curious what folks use to clean their CPAP systems, and the pros & cons of alternatives.
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

Jim Johnson

• ---
Jim

Jim & Tarry Johnson

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
Re: Sanitizing your CPAP device
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2018, 08:54:19 AM »
Thanks Jim. SoClean is one I've been procrastinating over, and the one that seems to get the most air time. Amazon has it with free adapters included. OTOH ads for other brands suggest that ozone treatments can be detrimental to your health, and require some 'stabilization time' after cleaning. A lot of this is lost in the marketing hype. I have a couple of appointments next week, one for my semi-annual physical and one for my annual checkup with the sleep doc. I'll see if either of them has any opinions on the side effects of ozone cleaning.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 07:54:31 AM by Tom »

Jim Johnson

• ---
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2018, 08:57:30 AM »
My clean time is set for 10am and I always take it out of the cleaner during the afternoon so it has time to "air" out.  I asked my local CPAP machine dealer and they knew of so adverse side effects from the ozone.  Let me know what you find out.
Jim

Jim & Tarry Johnson

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2018, 09:01:22 AM »
Will do Jim.

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2018, 09:43:27 AM »
We use vinegar. Pour some in the tank and let sit for a few hours then rinse. For the hose and mask pour vinegar in a plastic container large enough for the hose and mask and let soak a few hours. Rinse and let dry.
Retired Air Force
2016 Winnie Drop
2016 Nissan Frontier
1952 Wife

Jim Johnson

• ---
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2018, 09:50:54 AM »
Tom, another added benefit of the ozone cleaner which I did not realize until I decided on this one, is the ozone cleans the water chamber and the water so there is no need to refresh or clean that daily.  Just add additional water and go.
Jim

Jim & Tarry Johnson

Lowell

• ---
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2018, 10:26:19 AM »
I don't know anything about CPAP.  Do you have to clean them every day?
Lowell

2005 Cherokee28A TT
pulled by 2009 Dodge 1500 Crew Cab 4X4
KF7YET

Tempe, Arizona

Jim Johnson

• ---
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2018, 10:31:59 AM »
It is recommended every day.  I talked to a lady over the weekend who has not done anything but wipe hers out for over 4 years.  I told her if there were germs in it they would be ready to graduate by now.
Jim

Jim & Tarry Johnson

lavarock1210

• ---
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2018, 10:50:34 AM »
I asked my respiratory doctor about the SoClean system. 

She was not impressed with the system.

She said you should still wipe out the mask with a sanitary wipe such as plain baby wipes without any deodorant etc.  ( That is what I use).

She also recommends rinsing and using fresh distilled water every day in the water reservoir.

The problem even if the SoClean kills the germs the dead germs are still there as food for new germs.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 12:11:09 PM by lavarock1210 »

mel s

• ---
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2018, 10:55:31 AM »
I don't know anything about CPAP.  Do you have to clean them every day?
I've been using mv CPAP all night, every night, for 7 years and it has never been sanitized (but I do clean the face mask every few weeks).

BTW you can't believe everything you see advertised on TV, (if I did I'd have a room full of useless gadgets/devises).

Clay L

• ---
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2018, 11:03:05 AM »
I looked into the SoClean system and found that it uses ozone to kill germs and mold but does not clean the surfaces, You still need to clean them in some way and if done properly that will kill the germs and mold also.
After 14 years of CPAP use I am much more lackadaisical about cleaning than when I first started. I use a solution of Dawn and water and clean the mask every month or so. I use distilled  water so have no deposits in the humidifier but I do spray some Clorox Bleach Spray Cleaner in it and rinse it really well - maybe every six months or so. Once or twice a year I put vinegar in the hose and slosh it back and forth some and then rinse it.
Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats), Sali (toy poodle)
Settled down after full timing for eleven years and snowbirding for one year in a 2004 Winnebago 35N Sightseer, Workhorse W 20 Chassis. Honda toad

Rene T

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Every day is payday and every payday I have off
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2018, 11:50:32 AM »
I've been using mv CPAP all night, every night, for 7 years and it has never been sanitized (but I do clean the face mask every few weeks).

BTW you can't believe everything you see advertised on TV, (if I did I'd have a room full of useless gadgets/devises).

I do my hose, mask and tank about every two weeks if I think of it. I'm still walking.
Rene, Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

John Stephens

• ---
  • Vacations begin when you leave the driveway
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2018, 10:41:15 AM »
I bought a $40 ozone system from Amazon a few weeks ago. It's the kind that you hook one end of the hose into. So you have the choice of taking off your face mask and putting that end into the unit so it will sanitize the hose and water tank, or take the end off the cpap machine and hook it up, sanitizing the hose and the face mask. I do one end every two weeks and the other end on the off weeks and it seems to work pretty well.

It is advised to run the machine for at least an hour after sanitizing it to remove as much of the ozone still in the hose as possible. I don't know what kind of heath effects it might have if inhaled, but I do know that it has a distinct odor that I prefer not to breathe all night.
John
Cape Coral, Fl.
2005 Winnebago Adventurer 38J
2018 Chevy Equinox

ChipSmith

• ---
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2018, 08:40:23 PM »
I follow just about the same regimen as CarlL, and mine is in good shape for six years now. Iím a little worried about ozone and the residue. Think I will stay with cleaning manually.
Chip & Debbie Smith
2006 Four Winds 5000
29í Class C
Learning every day!

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2018, 10:18:51 PM »
Quote from: John Stephens
I bought a $40 ozone system from Amazon a few weeks ago.

Do you have a link to the one you purchased? TIA.

John Stephens

• ---
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2018, 10:43:59 AM »

Do you have a link to the one you purchased? TIA.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CKQHWL6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Sorry I misquoted the price - forgot what I paid. It's $47.99.
John
Cape Coral, Fl.
2018 Chevy Equinox

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2018, 10:59:49 AM »
Thanks John. There's a huge spread in the prices/features.

John Stephens

• ---
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2018, 02:01:53 PM »
Thanks John. There's a huge spread in the prices/features.

You're quite welcome, Tom. When I began researching a cleaner, I realized there were a lot of varying prices and features. What caught my eye and led me to this one was a unit very similar looking to this one that also had a bag that you could put all your equipment into. It cost $89.95 and essentially had the same ozone generator this one does, so you're paying an extra $40 for the bag. Since I use water from my kitchen RO system, my water tank doesn't get contaminated very quickly and I saw no need to clean it as frequently as the hose and nasal pillows mask. Therefore, no need for the bag unless you want to clean everything at the same time. The one I have runs off of an internal battery that can be recharged each time you use it to ensure the next time, it will have a full charge. It works in about 30 minutes. It's small enough to not take up room in the coach, which was a major consideration for me since we'll begin taking three month trips next year.
John
Cape Coral, Fl.
2018 Chevy Equinox

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2018, 12:17:01 AM »
I ordered the $47.99 version, for reasons you stated. Thanks again.

Didn't get to talk with the pulmonologist/sleep Doc about the "ozone issue" today; I was running late, stuck in traffic and, 45 mins into the drive I called to say I'd be late. He was leaving for the day before I could get there.

John Stephens

• ---
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2018, 08:37:28 AM »
Tom, I hope this works for you. I haven't had mine that long but have had seemingly good results thus far. I don't see why a doctor would indicate that ozone is a bad way to clean and sanitize since it has been used in spas for many years. All it is is a three part oxygen molecule that is produced after rain storms. When you smell it for the first time, you'll recognize it. And when you sanitize your system, you'll smell it throughout your bedroom or wherever the system is located. It dissipates quick enough to not bother me, but like I said previously, it's a recommendation to run your system for about an hour before wanting to use it that night to clear the smell out of the tubing. It still won't all come out; that will take one or two uses, but I have had no adverse affects from it and can't believe it would cause any problems or it wouldn't be marketed. The So Clean system uses the same principles but costs over $300.

One thing others have stated is that the outside of your mask or pillows still need to be wiped off with a sanitizing wipe of some kind to ensure any germs are removed.
John
Cape Coral, Fl.
2018 Chevy Equinox

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2018, 10:04:45 AM »
John, I might be being paranoid or overly concerned. I was reacting to comments I've read about the lack of adequate post-sanitizing dissipation time &/or residual 'dead' bacteria being possibly detrimental.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2018, 11:04:41 PM »
The small sanitizer showed up today, and has already been put to use. They tried to deliver it yesterday, but I received an email saying they "couldn't get into the building" &/or my company was "out of business". Eh  ???   This is a single family home, not in a gated community, and packages are left at our door almost daily.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 11:06:42 PM by Tom »

BernieD

• ---
    • PressurePro
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2018, 06:37:33 PM »
Tom
Any thoughts or comments now that you've had it for a bit? I'm thinking about ordering the same machine and would appreciate your thoughts.
Bernie & Marlene Dobrin
Home is Goodyear, AZ
Missing our Travel Supreme

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2018, 06:49:13 PM »
Bernie, I'd echo what John said. BTW it doesn't sanitize the mask/pillows or the small hose.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 06:52:52 PM by Tom »

judway

• ---
  • We are at the house in West Melbourne, Florida
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2018, 07:50:18 PM »
I recently purchased a used CPAP machine to leave in the MH. After I got it home I discovered the previous user was a smoker and the smoke odor was quite bad. I do not smoke. I have an ozone machine which I used to try to clean the odor. I got the odor down to a barely acceptable level, but need to reduce it more. Do you think this machine might clean it really good? Thanks!
Judy & Wayne
2003 Itasca Horizon 36LD
2017 Chevrolet Equinox LT
Remco Towbar, Demco Baseplate & Air Force One Brake
1995 GMC Sierra Z71
No Dogs!      No Cats!
Retired Electrical Engineer (University of Cincinnati)
W4SRR

John Stephens

• ---
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2018, 07:55:00 PM »
Bernie, I'd echo what John said. BTW it doesn't sanitize the mask/pillows or the small hose.

Tom, take the other end of the hose off the machine and plug it into the sanitizer. Then, it will sanitize the small hose and mask or pillows. I consider this to be more important than sanitizing the water chamber because it's closer to your nose or mouth and will pick up more bacteria. The air is flowing out from the machine so there is less chance for the bacteria to work its way to the machine, while it will be in the mask and small tube immediately upon use. I'll do it this way 2 times for every one time I sanitize the machine's water chamber. Now, that having been said, if you use tap water to fill your water chamber, you'll have a greater chance of bacterial contamination there as well. I use water from my Ro system in the kitchen. When in the coach, I use filtrated water from the sink.
John
Cape Coral, Fl.
2018 Chevy Equinox

John Stephens

• ---
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2018, 08:00:24 PM »
I recently purchased a used CPAP machine to leave in the MH. After I got it home I discovered the previous user was a smoker and the smoke odor was quite bad. I do not smoke. I have an ozone machine which I used to try to clean the odor. I got the odor down to a barely acceptable level, but need to reduce it more. Do you think this machine might clean it really good? Thanks!

If you are still using the tube and mask that someone else used and that is where the smell is coming from, I would buy a new hose and mask. You shouldn't equipment that someone else has used anyway, for health reasons. Same goes with the water chamber. If the smell is originating from the machine itself, I can only guess that it might be coming from the filters. You probably have two and if you haven't changed them, get new ones. Other than that, I'm hard pressed to figure out how the smell can be coming from the machine and think your problem is outside the machine.

Personally, I wouldn't buy a used CPAP machine for fear the previous owner may have a communicable disease such as TB.
John
Cape Coral, Fl.
2018 Chevy Equinox

judway

• ---
  • We are at the house in West Melbourne, Florida
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2018, 08:15:02 PM »
Everything except the machine is new. I used ozone to reduce the odor and I feel confident that the germs are dead. I can use it as it is, but would like to get the odor totally gone.

It came with a like new mask, but hesitate to use it unless I can be assured it clean.

I understand all you have said and feel that I have all that under control.
Judy & Wayne
2003 Itasca Horizon 36LD
2017 Chevrolet Equinox LT
Remco Towbar, Demco Baseplate & Air Force One Brake
1995 GMC Sierra Z71
No Dogs!      No Cats!
Retired Electrical Engineer (University of Cincinnati)
W4SRR

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2018, 08:43:45 PM »
Quote from: John Stephens
take the other end of the hose off the machine and plug it into the sanitizer. Then, it will sanitize the small hose and mask or pillows.
Thanks John, I realized I should have clarified that.
use water from my Ro system in the kitchen.
I usually use bottled water.