rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Cows  (Read 1713 times)

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Good things are illegal immoral or over 1000 watts
Re: Cows
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2018, 03:52:24 PM »
I live near Orlando and cows are several miles closer to my house than the Walmart or Lowes. :))
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
Favorite 2017 shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/y0HbMU5KYa2hx02E3
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7
My Grand Canyon shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nc1AT8tQp25wJwfm1

RVMommaTo6

• ---
  • New York
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2018, 05:16:12 PM »
Our county has more cows than people (in New York) 50 miles to Rochester or Buffalo
This is in NY lol, I live in the city (Rochester) and my camper is in Niles between Moravia and Skaneateles.
Amanda
Mommy to 6 great kids who love camping and traveling
July 31, 2019- begin our 10 month cross country trip
2015 Thor Motor Coach A.C.E. 30.2
2010 35ft Springdale bunkhouse TT
2001 Jayco Pop-up

Robert K

• ---
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2018, 05:34:19 PM »
I am doing a job in your area (sort of). Churchville Chili school.
Bob&Sandy
96 Safari Serengeti
2011 jeep wrangler
Western New York

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2018, 05:42:29 PM »
As a wildlife photographer I never worried too much about the big animals, it was the little ones that scared me. Honey badgers, porcupines, etc. Same with scuba diving. I never worried about the sharks and barracudas, it was the sea urchins that scared the heck out of me. :o

I'm that way with Dogs. Roudy. a big Malamute Husky (1/4 wolf) cross... Perfect Kitty Cat. I mean nothing but friendly.

Mexican Harless. Those scare me TOo small to grab and too fast to read the body language.

I've had Shepard/Lab mix and Rotts try to bite me.. None succeeded  but a those little yappy jobs have something to prove.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

Cooperhawk

• ---
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2018, 05:47:04 PM »
I grew up on a farm with animals.  We milked cows morning and evening by hand as we had no electricity.  Just after WWII.  Later worked on a ranch caring for cattle.  Helped birthing and all.  We branded the new calves with a tattoo pliers in their ear as soon as we could.  The cows all gathered around us but never hurt us.  Later drove semi for my Father hauling calves from the west, Dakotas and Montana, to feed lots, and then hauling the mature cattle to market.  Then I escaped.

Now I live in the country with cattle all around me.  I can assure you that cattle are much easier to smell than hogs or OMG, chickens or turkeys.  The only time you need to fear them is perhaps an old bull.  Yeah, we handled a few of those.  Mostly though they were docile.

The only problem now is when my neighbors spread the liquid manure on the fields.  Course in the Winter it just freezes and you don't smell it, but it the Spring when it thaws..............................Whew!!!
Jim and Carol Cooper with Oreo the Kitty
FAA ATC ret, VFW, AL, VVA, NRA
2002 Journey DL 36, 3126 Cat 330hp
2015 Ford Explorer Blue Ox tow bar, AF1

Roy M

• ---
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2018, 07:01:04 PM »
 ;D My dear departed wife was a city girl, she absolutely loved our rural home until the neigbor spread manure on his fields and the wind came up. She also wasn't happy when his wife explained why the cattle were never outside. She also got up close and personal with another neighbors heifer that decided the grass was greener on our side of the fence. The animal just stared at her when she tried to shoo it away from her garden.

Alaskansnowbirds

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2018, 07:07:17 PM »
The simplest project requires at least 3 trips.

Story of my life.
Don & Peg
Alaska/Arizona
Currently located here.
Weather at Camp Verde, AZ.

Tom and Margi

• ---
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2018, 07:14:05 PM »
I grew up in the country and we lived in the country a good portion of our married life.  There was a dairy ranch in Sebastopol, CA that had been there for a hundred or more years.  Some "city guy" bought land and built a McMansion downwind from the ranch .... then complained about the smell.  Hello?

Margi

catblaster

• ---
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2018, 07:27:39 PM »
The worst part about a cow stepping on your foot is how they stare at you like, stupid human why are you suddenly screaming.  Worse yet when you try to shove them off of your foot they lean into the shove and step down harder.

Someone has had experience at milking. Did you tie their tails back or just let it swat you in the head like I had to do.
Will and Jane
95 Winnebago Luxor

Isaac-1

• ---
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2018, 07:44:51 PM »
Ours are beef cattle not milking cattle
2002 Safari Trek 2830

HappyWanderer

• ---
« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2018, 08:45:05 PM »
I grew up in the country and we lived in the country a good portion of our married life.  There was a dairy ranch in Sebastopol, CA that had been there for a hundred or more years.  Some "city guy" bought land and built a McMansion downwind from the ranch .... then complained about the smell.  Hello?

Margi

The town where I used to work was a farming community that experienced suburban sprawl, with McMansions popping up all over the place. My favorite calls every Spring were from the city folks calling the police to complain about farm smells. I'd just laugh, which made them more angry. Fortunately, Connecticut has some pretty strong right-to-farm laws to protect the farmers.
WARNING: This post may contain a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer, or birth defects or other reproductive harm.

UTTransplant

• ---
  • Cedar Falls, Iowa
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2018, 10:45:22 PM »

The town where I used to work was a farming community that experienced suburban sprawl, with McMansions popping up all over the place. My favorite calls every Spring were from the city folks calling the police to complain about farm smells. I'd just laugh, which made them more angry. Fortunately, Connecticut has some pretty strong right-to-farm laws to protect the farmers.
I still remember a guy I worked with many, many years ago. He decided to buy a house in the country, right next to an apple orchard. His wife got pregnant, and he went to tell the apple orchard owner that he couldn’t use any pesticides any more because of the pregnancy. He was shocked, SHOCKED, to find the guy laughed in his face. He tried going to the county supervisors, and again was SHOCKED they laughed at him too.  ;D  ::) Of course we poor people that had to work with him heard all this in detail on a daily basis. I think he ended up moving to a suburban neighborhood where he undoubtedly gave his neighbors fits about herbicide application.
Pam and Kevin plus Lily the cat
2018 Tiffin 37PA
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk toad
https://toobusyforwork.com

jackiemac

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2018, 11:52:47 PM »
Close to where I live in the UK, there is a popular walk around a reservoir which takes you through a field which normally has cows.  People go there all the time, often with dogs.  There have been a few incidents recently with the cows, here is the story from a local paper  - it is actually quite funny.....

A woman left bloodied and bruised in a terrifying attack by cows was saved by a hero who fought them off with a garden rake.

The victim was reportedly being stamped on by cows in Lochore Meadows Country Park until Tam Cotter, who was tending his garden nearby, ran to her aid.

Tam, 44, was hailed “an absolute hero” by Donna Clark, another walker who tried in vain to frighten the cattle away with her dog’s lead.

He told how he was working in his garden in Glencraig when he heard shouts change to “terrible screams” and guessed instantly what had happened.

He said: “When I got there the woman was on the ground in the foetal position and her poor dog was hiding in a bush.

“The cows were stamping all over her. There were about a dozen of them.”

Tam shoved at the animals, one of which had horns, until they retreated enough to allow the woman to escape.

She was given first aid at the park’s outdoor education centre and later attended hospital, having sustained bruising and a cut nose.

Tam said: “It could have been much worse. People don’t realise that although cows are usually docile are still animals.”

The woman had her dog on its lead as she tried to pass through the cows’ field, which is crossed by the path round Loch Ore, but it is believed the herd, which includes calves, had been spooked by another dog moments earlier.

Park manager Ian Laing said: “Hundreds of people a day pass through that area and we have a weekly parkrun with 150 runners and we have had very few incidents involving people and cows.

“I think something happened yesterday before this lady came on the scene and the cows have been agitated.”

He was due to meet the farmer to discuss what action could be taken to try to prevent a similar incident or to warn people of the danger.

He advised: “When people are in an area with cows they should put their dogs on a lead and if cattle do come towards them they should let their dogs go to minimise the risk to themselves.”

Warning of the incident on Facebook, Donna, who was walking a short distance behind, said she saw the woman go through one of a series of gates on the path then heard her scream and saw cows “mauling” her.

She wrote: “She was lying face down at the back of the gate and I was on the gate hitting them with my dog’s leash and screaming and shouting but they wouldn’t stop.”

Inchgall Farm declined to comment on the incident.

In June a 20-strong herd of cows escaped from the farm and roamed the streets of Crosshill when a stick was deliberately lodged in the mechanism of a swing gate in the same area.

Jackie n Steve - Happy Scottish Travellers

2017 Heartland Sundance 288rls
2016 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4L Hemi

Back home in Scotland awaiting May 2019

jackiemac

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2018, 12:10:25 AM »
We have real world problems in Scotland!  Just after we left this event happened in the main town nearby:

A sickening stench threatening to spoil the Bank Holiday weekend for thousands of people in west Fife has been blamed on activities at a former opencast mine.

Complaints have been flooding into Fife Council’s environmental health team and the Scottish Environment Protection Agency (SEPA) about the bad odour in the Dunfermline area, described as “horrific” and “unbearable” by locals on social media, apparently emanating from the site at Muir Dean in Crossgates.

Fife Council said the problem was caused by distillery waste being spread on the land and insisted it was not animal or human waste, as some locals had feared.

A spokesperson confirmed the authority was considering legal action against the site owners and said it was taking appropriate action to try to mitigate the impact on surrounding communities.

However, ahead of a weekend where the Kingdom is set to be bathed in sunshine, fears have been raised by many locals that the start of their summers could well be ruined by the powerfully pungent pong.

Ross Macfarlane, 29, who stays in the Duloch area, was so troubled by the nasty niff that he went straight to the source, where he was told waste was being used to fertilise the land and help the grass grow.

Now he fears the activities threaten to “wreck” the summer of thousands of affected people if action is not taken soon.

“Unless you smell it, it’s almost impossible to comprehend what it smells like – it’s 100 times worse than you would imagine,” he said.

“It started about three days ago and we just thought it was the fields like everyone else, and it wasn’t as bad the other day because the wind was blowing in a different direction.

“But when we came back on Thursday night, you couldn’t even go in the house because the smell was coming through the vents.

“It’s the Bank Holiday weekend, we’ve got a lovely house and it would be nice to get out in the garden and enjoy the summer, but it’s unbearable.

“My worry is the scale of it – I can’t even put into words the size of the area – and if people don’t do something then it could last for months.”

Former local MP Thomas Docherty also lives in the same area and added: “It’s completely unacceptable that for three days Fife Council and SEPA have failed to take this seriously.

“First they said it was just a farmer spreading manure, then they each told residents to complain to the other organisation and now they are saying there is nothing that can be done about it.

“I’ve raised it with our local MP Douglas Chapman who I hope will demand answers from Fife Council and SEPA as to why there such a breakdown in communication with residents and what steps they will take to ensure that this can’t happen again.”

Shirley-Anne Somerville, MSP for Dunfermline and West Fife, said she had been contacted by a number of constituents regarding the smell which has been lingering over Dunfermline and surrounding areas of late.

“This has been a source of significant discomfort to many local residents,” she said.

“I have been engaging with Fife Council’s environmental health team in order to ensure that appropriate action is being taken to investigate this matter.

“We need to ensure that work like this is conducted responsibly so as to not be detrimental to surrounding communities.”

Fife Council has launched an investigation and has urged people not to contact the local authority, promising to post updates on Facebook, Twitter and Fife Direct.

A spokesperson said local authority representatives have conducted a site visit and is considering taking legal action against the site owner.

“The council has been assured that there is currently no plans to spread any further material at this site,” he said.

“The source of the odour is coming from approximately 1000 tonnes of limed distillery waste which was spread by the landowner at Muirdean on Wednesday and Thursday of this week.

“This waste is a by-product of the distilling process and is not, as reported by some, animal or human waste.

“The waste is very odorous and this has been further heightened by the hot weather and the wind blowing directly towards a large area of housing.

“Generally odours of this nature dissipate over a day or two.”

A spokesperson from the Scottish Environment Protection Agency (SEPA) said:

“We’re receiving a high volume of calls about odours in the Dunfermline area.

“The cause of some of these complaints is the spreading of slurry which is the remit of Fife Council.

“SEPA officers and Fife Council separately today attended a site at Muir Dean and confirmed that the source of this odour has been the spreading of limed distillery waste by the landowner.

“The distillery waste is being ploughed in in order to alleviate odour and there are currently no plans to spread any further material at the site.

“Fife Council has indicated it is considering legal action.”

Note that the report mentions human waste which is sometimes spread on the fields YUK!

“Poo cakes” made out of human waste intended to be used as fertiliser have been poo-pooed by farmers who say it may see crops rejected by the whisky industry.

The idea was put forward as a cost-effective alternative to artificial fertilisers which can cost up to £250 per tonne.

Despite the human waste cakes costing only £2.45 per tonne, NFU Scotland (NFUS) has warned its members against using the product as it believes that crops using the hermal hydrolysis (TH) could be rejected by the whisky industry.

Organic matter is removed from 165 tonnes of sludge processed at Scottish Water’s Seafield treatment site daily.

John Davidson, farm manager at Penicuik Estate in Midlothian, believes the TH cakes are better for the environment and reduce financial pressure on farmers.

At least the Whisky manufacturers are being sensible!!

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2018, 04:45:08 AM »
What a weird place. The banks close so you have a holiday? :o
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
Favorite 2017 shots:
My portfolio:
My Grand Canyon shots:

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2018, 05:35:19 AM »
What a weird place. The banks close so you have a holiday? :o

I lived in the UK for five years and several of the folks that worked for me were employed by the Ministry of Defence. If the Queen passed gas there was a holiday.

People are talking about living next to or near farms and pastures, in my time in the UK I saw and walked through some of the most beautiful countryside (and we have lived in 13 states, two countries and visited many, many more). Our house in Cambridgeshire was on a farm. In the UK farms have footpaths that can be utilized to walk from village to village. There are signs at intersections on the footpaths directing walkers towards villages and points of interest.
Jackie, we spent some time in Scotland. We could not believe how gorgeous Scotland is. And I had haggis for breakfast every morning.
For what it’s worth, I think all children should spend some time on a farm or ranch. They need to know where our food comes from and hard it is to get it to our tables.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 05:52:49 AM by Oldgator73 »
Retired Air Force
2016 Winnie Drop
2016 Nissan Frontier
1952 Wife

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #46 on: October 30, 2018, 08:15:25 AM »

Now I live in the country with cattle all around me.  I can assure you that cattle are much easier to smell than hogs or OMG, chickens or turkeys. 

Like I said up-thread. Dad was a dairyman.. Grandpa a Swineherd.. and we also had Chickens and Goats from time to time.. So I can support everything I quoted.

We had electricity (most of the time) Though we "Finished" the job by hand. So I do know how to milk a cow.. Goats were milked by hand all the time.

I also had a summer job tossing bale of hay up to my partner in the loft about 80 pounds each. temps in the 100+_ and humidity in the high 90's.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

Cooperhawk

• ---
« Reply #47 on: October 30, 2018, 08:55:04 AM »
Yep, Haying just couldn't be done unless it was at least 90 degrees.  I do remember those days for sure.  One of the worst things was hand pulling cockle burrs out of the soy beans.  We'd get rashes on our arms that would bleed.

Now they don't do any of that.  Big round bales that they handle with tractor loaders and sprays that kill whatever weed they don't like.  Gentlemanly work now.

The rancher I worked for had what they called a dry lot for finishing fat cattle.  What that meant was, no grass, and feeders that fed them ground corn.  Of course it wasn't really dry, it was ankle deep in liquid poo.  His favorite thing to shock folks was to take off his shoes and socks and walk barefoot in the poo.  Said it felt like money.

Another cattleman that I hauled cattle for ran pigs in the dry lot with the cattle.  See the cattle didn't fully digest all the corn they ate so the poo was full of it, which the pigs ate.  Yep, poo fed pigs.  Enjoy that bacon folks.

BTW, never bothered me.

Lou Schneider

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #48 on: October 30, 2018, 09:05:36 AM »
Another cattleman that I hauled cattle for ran pigs in the dry lot with the cattle.  See the cattle didn't fully digest all the corn they ate so the poo was full of it, which the pigs ate.  Yep, poo fed pigs.  Enjoy that bacon folks.

Recycling at it's finest!

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #49 on: October 30, 2018, 09:05:58 AM »
Amanda - I bet you never expected this thread to explode like this ;D
Favorite 2017 shots:
My portfolio:
My Grand Canyon shots:

RVMommaTo6

• ---
  • New York
« Reply #50 on: October 30, 2018, 09:24:41 AM »
Amanda - I bet you never expected this thread to explode like this ;D
Lol I really didn't! I actually assumed nobody would respond 😂
Amanda
2001 Jayco Pop-up

Joezeppy

• ---
« Reply #51 on: October 30, 2018, 09:44:02 AM »
I actually assumed nobody would respond 😂
That would have been udder-ly disappointing.  ::)
Joe & Kim
Upstate NY - Kuyahoora Valley
2010 GMC Sierra 2500HD - 6.0L
2017 Keystone Hideout 295BHS
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum 5th wheel hitch

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #52 on: October 30, 2018, 09:49:57 AM »
That would have been udder-ly disappointing.  ::)
And it would not have mooooooved you. ::)
Favorite 2017 shots:
My portfolio:
My Grand Canyon shots:

RVMommaTo6

• ---
  • New York
« Reply #53 on: October 30, 2018, 10:51:56 AM »
Lol, I'm too easily amooooosed, I'm cracking up over this.
Amanda
2001 Jayco Pop-up

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #54 on: October 30, 2018, 11:14:24 AM »
Lol, I'm too easily amooooosed, I'm cracking up over this.
Well I am glad you don't have a beef with these horrible puns. 8)
Favorite 2017 shots:
My portfolio:
My Grand Canyon shots:

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #55 on: October 30, 2018, 11:45:22 AM »
Try to steer clear of the puns but don’t be too chicken to post. If you do post try not to hog the forum.  Don’t get goat roped into posting but if you do post keep the bull out. Of course we are just horsing around. Keep your replies clean, nobody likes a pig. If your not careful the admin will put you out to pasture. If that happens you will have to farm out future posts.
Retired Air Force
2016 Winnie Drop
2016 Nissan Frontier
1952 Wife

jackiemac

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #56 on: October 30, 2018, 12:57:11 PM »
This is why I LOVE this forum 😍

Joezeppy

• ---
« Reply #57 on: October 30, 2018, 01:18:38 PM »
Yup, we can milk any topic along for several pages!
Joe & Kim
Upstate NY - Kuyahoora Valley
2010 GMC Sierra 2500HD - 6.0L
2017 Keystone Hideout 295BHS
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum 5th wheel hitch

Lowell

• ---
« Reply #58 on: October 30, 2018, 02:34:38 PM »
Good thing it wasn't those baaaaad sheep aront the RV.
Lowell

2005 Cherokee28A TT
pulled by 2009 Dodge 1500 Crew Cab 4X4
KF7YET

Tempe, Arizona

Cooperhawk

• ---
« Reply #59 on: October 31, 2018, 09:31:39 AM »
OK, time to quit horsing around and back to talking turkey about RVs.  Way too much BS being spread here.