Cows

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The only time I have really been offended by cow smell is when driving by a feedlot. As for being afraid of cows. I am wary of any animal that weighs as much as a cow. Even if they aren?t aggressive if they accidentally step on your foot they could break it. I think it?s great your kids go over to the fence and pet the cows. Kids need these types of experiences. When we lived in England there was a horse pasture across the road. I would occasionally feed them apples.

Great tread. Brings back many fond memories of my summers on my grandfathers farm.  The feel and smells of the barn. Bucking hay bales and storing in the barn. The quiet solitude of just walking the fields, running your hands over the wheat.

As a wildlife photographer I never worried too much about the big animals, it was the little ones that scared me. Honey badgers, porcupines, etc. Same with scuba diving. I never worried about the sharks and barracudas, it was the sea urchins that scared the heck out of me. :eek:

D-n-R said:
You want to CAREFUL around cattle...

I grew up in the city...Kim dragged me out to the country. I love it but I'm still a city boy apparently. I went up to a local farm one day last year for some hay to spread over some new grass seed. The farmer was rounding up some cows and had to go get a stray. He gives me an old ax handle and says "if that one runs, just smack her on the head". She ran. I smacked her. And she proceeded to knock me and the gate down. Nothing hurt but my pride luckily.

Oldgator73 said:
.... Even if they aren?t aggressive if they accidentally step on your foot they could break it. I think it?s great your kids go over to the fence and pet the cows. Kids need these types of experiences. When we lived in England there was a horse pasture across the road. I would occasionally feed them apples....

The worst part about a cow stepping on your foot is how they stare at you like, stupid human why are you suddenly screaming.  Worse yet when you try to shove them off of your foot they lean into the shove and step down harder.

RVMommaTo6 said:
Directly across the street from us are cows.

I've had a few living situations in the past where having cows for neighbors would have been a definite improvement.

Our county has more cows than people (in New York) 50 miles to Rochester or Buffalo

1 Walmart in the county, no Lowes or HD
We just supply alot of milk

Robert K said:
Our county has more cows than people (in New York) 50 miles to Rochester or Buffalo
This is in NY lol, I live in the city (Rochester) and my camper is in Niles between Moravia and Skaneateles.

I am doing a job in your area (sort of). Churchville Chili school.

SeilerBird said:
As a wildlife photographer I never worried too much about the big animals, it was the little ones that scared me. Honey badgers, porcupines, etc. Same with scuba diving. I never worried about the sharks and barracudas, it was the sea urchins that scared the heck out of me. :eek:

I'm that way with Dogs. Roudy. a big Malamute Husky (1/4 wolf) cross... Perfect Kitty Cat. I mean nothing but friendly.

Mexican Harless. Those scare me TOo small to grab and too fast to read the body language.

I've had Shepard/Lab mix and Rotts try to bite me.. None succeeded  but a those little yappy jobs have something to prove.

I grew up on a farm with animals.  We milked cows morning and evening by hand as we had no electricity.  Just after WWII.  Later worked on a ranch caring for cattle.  Helped birthing and all.  We branded the new calves with a tattoo pliers in their ear as soon as we could.  The cows all gathered around us but never hurt us.  Later drove semi for my Father hauling calves from the west, Dakotas and Montana, to feed lots, and then hauling the mature cattle to market.  Then I escaped.

Now I live in the country with cattle all around me.  I can assure you that cattle are much easier to smell than hogs or OMG, chickens or turkeys.  The only time you need to fear them is perhaps an old bull.  Yeah, we handled a few of those.  Mostly though they were docile.

The only problem now is when my neighbors spread the liquid manure on the fields.  Course in the Winter it just freezes and you don't smell it, but it the Spring when it thaws..............................Whew!!!

;D My dear departed wife was a city girl, she absolutely loved our rural home until the neigbor spread manure on his fields and the wind came up. She also wasn't happy when his wife explained why the cattle were never outside. She also got up close and personal with another neighbors heifer that decided the grass was greener on our side of the fence. The animal just stared at her when she tried to shoo it away from her garden.

I grew up in the country and we lived in the country a good portion of our married life.  There was a dairy ranch in Sebastopol, CA that had been there for a hundred or more years.  Some "city guy" bought land and built a McMansion downwind from the ranch .... then complained about the smell.  Hello?

Margi

Isaac-1 said:
The worst part about a cow stepping on your foot is how they stare at you like, stupid human why are you suddenly screaming.  Worse yet when you try to shove them off of your foot they lean into the shove and step down harder.

Someone has had experience at milking. Did you tie their tails back or just let it swat you in the head like I had to do.

Back
Top Bottom