Cows

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
RVMommaTo6 said:
I've spent weekends at my camper (TT) for the past 3 years. We're on an 8 acre property with a creek and some woods. Directly across the street from us are cows. I see them but I have never smelled them or heard them or noticed them in any way except seeing them. Sometimes the kids will walk over and pet them, but that's not my thing. This morning, I woke up to them mooing up a storm. I looked out the window and didn't see anything unusual. I finally decided I would walk over and see if maybe one was having a baby or something. I got dressed and when I walked outside, the farmer (whom I've never seen) pulled up in a tractor so I didn't head over. He dropped off some big bundles of hay, they started eating and I haven't heard a peep since lol, turns out cows must moo when they're hungry!
We have the same setup - cows just across the road and we frequently hear them mooing at feeding time but the farmer seems to beat them to the draw most of the time and serves up supper before the bellowing begins.  Sometimes he drives around the feed yard honking his horn and cows seem to materialize out of thin air heading for the feed bunks.  Nothing dumb about cows.

Bill

OK... Here's my cow story.
A few years back a friend and I were having dinner in Wisconsin. I decided to have a little fun with the waitress. She asked for our drink order. I said with a straight face, "I'll have a Holstein."
"A WHAT?" she asked.
"You know. that popular beer made in New Glaris"
"Oh.. You mean a Spotted Cow."
"Yes!.. That's it! A Holstein!"
She rolled her eyes and came back a few minutes later with the beer and told me the bartender who she has never seen smile or laugh in the 10 years she's worked there, cracked up laughing on that one.

I know how to make a farmer laugh:

Shortly after I had set up camp on the quarter section of bush I had bought I was visited by 1/2 dozen cows with calves. I checked the fence lines and found a stretch through the lower woods where the posts were rotted off and the wires down so I phoned the neighbor about it. After introducing myself and explaining the call I offered to do the repair work on the fence if he would drop off a dozen posts for the project.

He did and I spent several long hot sweaty days carrying the posts through the woods, digging holes, and restringing the wire. Finally got'er done and called him to come and chase his cows home. He came with a couple helpers on horseback to round them up. When he saw them he got a funny look on his face and said "Those aren't my cows" I must have had a funny look on my face too when I heard him but do have a sense of humor so we both got a good laugh out of it.

Turns out the cows were wading across the river from the other neighbor's pasture  ::) but at least I had a good fence and a good neighbor to the south  ;D

I went to visit a relative in Texas on my last trip to California and he was bragging to me about a herd of cows in his back yard. Actually they weren't in his back yard, they were in a pasture that bordered his back yard. I get there and we go out in his back yard and there is not one single cow to be seen. So the entire trip I kept going outside and saying things like "Those are some really impressive cows there. What are their names?" I was unrelenting. Poor guy. Never did see one cow the entire time I was there. He kept on insisting they were just over the horizon. Occasionally I email him a photo of a herd of cows just to let him know what cows look like.

Oh, darn. I guess you all cleared the field of puns a few posts ago. Could this post maybe seed the field a bit, see what comes up?

:eek:

A couple of years ago my city raised wife looked out and saw a cow on the lawn, we knew where it came from. I went out and tried to herd it back to the pasture below the house, didn't want it leaving a deposit on the grass I would have to deal with before mowing but it just flicked it's tail while giving me that blank bovine stare. I called the owner, he and his wife came over and between the three of us tried to get it out our gate onto the road. It tried to go every which way but the way we wanted.
One of it's buddies let out a bellow and it took off through the fence without breaking a strand, through the neighbors orchard much to his consternation and through the other fence into it's own pasture. DW was in hysterical laughter watching the show.

One more story and then I'm done. I swear it on my neighbors cows.
As I mentioned earlier my Father owned a trucking company which included several cattle trailers which I occasionally drove. 

One day I had loaded a semi trailer with fat cattle bound for the packing plant.  I parked on the street in front of my Father's house and my Mother made me a cup of coffee.  I was waiting for my Father and younger Brother to bring in one dairy cow that was ailing and the farmer wanted to send to market.  Often times in those days cows would swallow a piece of baling wire and suffer from it.

They arrived with the one cow in a small truck and as my Mother and I watched through the front window they backed the small truck up to my semi to transfer the cow into my truck.  Dad pulled open the roll up end gate in both trucks and was using a pole to persuade the cow to get into the semi.  My Brother was sitting in the small truck with the engine running and as soon as the cow was transferred he would drive the truck to the yard and park it.

As we watched the cow started to move into the semi when my Dad yelled, @#*^ it, go ahead, to which my Brother, thinking he was talking to him, pulled ahead.  We watched as the cow tried to stretch out with her front feet in one truck and her rear feed in another.  Well of course that didn't work and down she went.  Luckily she wasn't hurt and they managed to reload her and finally get her in the semi.

At first my Mother and I were aghast, but when we realized the cow was unhurt, it all became a hilarious exercise getting the cow rounded up and reloaded next to a busy highway.  We laughed til we cried.  Finally my Dad, job done, headed for the house.  We had to control our mirth because he was in no mood for it.

And that's no BS.

Sprucegum said:
I know how to make a farmer laugh:

Shortly after I had set up camp on the quarter section of bush I had bought I was visited by 1/2 dozen cows with calves. I checked the fence lines and found a stretch through the lower woods where the posts were rotted off and the wires down so I phoned the neighbor about it. After introducing myself and explaining the call I offered to do the repair work on the fence if he would drop off a dozen posts for the project.

He did and I spent several long hot sweaty days carrying the posts through the woods, digging holes, and restringing the wire. Finally got'er done and called him to come and chase his cows home. He came with a couple helpers on horseback to round them up. When he saw them he got a funny look on his face and said "Those aren't my cows" I must have had a funny look on my face too when I heard him but do have a sense of humor so we both got a good laugh out of it.

Turns out the cows were wading across the river from the other neighbor's pasture  ::) but at least I had a good fence and a good neighbor to the south  ;D

Good fences make good neighbors, huh?  ;D

BinaryBob said:
OK... Here's my cow story.
A few years back a friend and I were having dinner in Wisconsin. I decided to have a little fun with the waitress. She asked for our drink order. I said with a straight face, "I'll have a Holstein."
"A WHAT?" she asked.
"You know. that popular beer made in New Glaris"
"Oh.. You mean a Spotted Cow."
"Yes!.. That's it! A Holstein!"
She rolled her eyes and came back a few minutes later with the beer and told me the bartender who she has never seen smile or laugh in the 10 years she's worked there, cracked up laughing on that one.

Surprised she didnt bring you a whole stein of beer.

I bought an RV lot that backs up to a farm with cows. I enjoy the view and the neighbors are nice enough, they may spy on me but they don't gossip, so it's all good.

My 6 pound dog enjoys herding them when they wander over and stick their head over the fence. He likes to give them a what-for and it's pretty funny.

One day I heard bellowing behind me. I was sitting outside with back to farm. The sky had turned very dark and a storm was imminent.  I about levitated out of my seat. I went over seeing a cow in distress at my corner of the fencing. I thought oh dear me, I have no idea how to reach the farmers!

Suddenly the cow bellowed some more and it was LOUD. She flopped down in the dirt and I thought oh lawdy mercy, a dead cow is going to stink up the place for sure!

But a few minutes of this loud caterwauling and she heaved out a brand new calf!

By now the farmer and his hands had come over to see what the ruckus was all about. I was able to take some pics but I had to be careful because mama cow didn't like me getting too close to the fence. She also stomped her feet a few times to warn the farm hands to keep their distance too.

After her baby finally stood up, the other cows came wandering over to meet and greet the new baby. They kind of surrounded mama cow and calf and the entire heard wandered off with them in the very middle. It was so cute to say the least.

I don't seem to have any cow smell going on. I am lucky I guess.

That is a bit odd, cows tend to go off and find an isolated spot to give birth, then often take a day or so before they bring the new calf back to introduce it to the herd.  Though perhaps this was a smaller field where the cow could not find a place off on its own.

Isaac-1 said:
The worst part about a cow stepping on your foot is how they stare at you like, stupid human why are you suddenly screaming.  Worse yet when you try to shove them off of your foot they lean into the shove and step down harder.
That's why it's better to be ankle deep in barn lot muck when around cattle. It cushions the blow (if one could call it a 'blow').

Also, there's nothing like going barefoot around cattle and feeling the fresh warm 'flop' ooze between your toes. Oh, it doesn't hurt and some say can help cure athlete's foot.

My wife's grandfather was a 40 acre farmer who milked a few cows most of his life. He used to say cow poop was not dirty until it hit the ground. But, I wasn't convinced when around calves with the scours.

Many years ago when my son was little, we lived in a TT on an Indian Reservation in Alpine Calif.  There were free-range cattle all over out there, though they mostly stayed away from the RV's.  I don't recall there being any smelly issues.  Now I'm in a different TT in south central Idaho with a sugar beet factory nearby - now that's an ugly smell!  Not as bad as a paper factory, but way worse than CS!!!  Luckily the wind is in my favor most days :)

salty14 said:
Many years ago when my son was little, we lived in a TT on an Indian Reservation in Alpine Calif.  There were free-range cattle all over out there, though they mostly stayed away from the RV's.  I don't recall there being any smelly issues.  Now I'm in a different TT in south central Idaho with a sugar beet factory nearby - now that's an ugly smell!  Not as bad as a paper factory, but way worse than CS!!!  Luckily the wind is in my favor most days :)
Paper factory in Louisiana in my back yard.  Beet factory in North Dakota 10 miles away. Beet factory worst by a factor of 10.

Bill

Paper mills today are not nearly as  bad as they were 40-50 years ago now that they have all sorts of emission systems, air scrubbers, etc.  We have one about 5 miles west of my house and I rarely smell it these days, though when I was growing up in the same town you certainly knew when the wind was blowing from that direction.

Back
Top Bottom