Looking to buy a dome antenna. Need help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

samthetramp

We're looking to buy a dome type antenna for Directv for our new 5ver. Tired of spending way to much time setting up a traditional dish type. Will probably go with Winegard based on the reviews between them and King but not completely sold on that. HDTV is not important to us. After reading on other threads here about eastern/western arc antennas I'm confused. We spend 99% of our time in the eastern US. I want a plug and play unit. Tired of fighting for signal.

What do I need to be looking for in a dome?

What brand would best suit our needs? Durability?

Quality? 

Thanks

The eastern/western arc thing is for Dish, not for DirecTV. You are specifying a dome, but are you looking for a roof mount or portable (perhaps on a tripod)? And is there a reason for dome vs an automatic dish (which will have better reception)? I used to use a Winegard Carryout when I had the Dish Pay As You Go thing (DIP switches change between Dish and DirecTV) but lots of folks seem to like the Tailgater, though I think it's a tad more restrictive. The Winegard Road Trip is more expensive than the Carryout, but I think it's more versatile, too.

My understanding is that DirecTV will soon undergo some programming changes (as far as which satellites carry what), and maybe even eliminate SD TV as a separate transmission, so you might research that a bit, too, while you're looking.

samthetramp said:
We're looking to buy a dome type antenna for Directv for our new 5ver. Tired of spending way to much time setting up a traditional dish type. Will probably go with Winegard based on the reviews between them and King but not completely sold on that. HDTV is not important to us. After reading on other threads here about eastern/western arc antennas I'm confused. We spend 99% of our time in the eastern US. I want a plug and play unit. Tired of fighting for signal.
What do I need to be looking for in a dome?
What brand would best suit our needs? Durability?
Quality? 
Thanks

samthetramp
I have a stationary Kingdome, (not in motion), which has never failed to work properly.for the 17 years 123k miles I've owned my coach.
It was permanently mounted on the roof of my '96 coach when I bought it in '01.

We want a stationary, auto signal acquisition antenna probably mounted on a tripod. After researching the Directv SD issue it appears that yes they are doing away with SD programming before 2020. I'm also finding out that some systems have to have 1 antenna for each tv for watching separate programs on multiple tv's at once. Yeah more things to look into.

Recommend against it at this time.
Far as I know NO Dome does DirecHDTV. and Direct has announced the end of DirecTV leaving only DirecHDTV. and you dome will become instant trash.  Less it can be switched to DISH.

I do expect that they WILL come out with DirecHDTV domes.. some day. Just no clue as to when.

John From Detroit said:
Recommend against it at this time.
Far as I know NO Dome does DirecHDTV. and Direct has announced the end of DirecTV leaving only DirecHDTV. and you dome will become instant trash.  Less it can be switched to DISH.

I do expect that they WILL come out with DirecHDTV domes.. some day. Just no clue as to when.

With all due respect, you haven't read the latest information from DirecTV about the changes next.  I didn't post it on this forum, but here's my post on IRV2:http://www.irv2.com/forums/f53/official-announcement-of-directv-2019-changes-413736.html  All you have to do is read the first post of this thread.

The bottom line is that some time in 2019 HD channels will be broadcast from the 101 satellite which means that most of the existing domes will be able to receive them.  Even if you don't pay for HD, we think that DirecTV will set your receiver to show the programs in SD.  Regardless, the important thing is that those domes WON'T be obsolete!!  In the meantime you can watch SD.

I was reading another post in this forum about Dish and I'm thinking about just getting a high quality tripod and signal meter and going with the 3 LNB I have now. That'll let me watch satellite while I research more into which provider we're gonna go forward with.

Thanks for all of the info.

Sam

Back
Top Bottom