Winegard SK-7003 Trav'ler Satellite Dish will not Stow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AJW

My Winegard SK-7003 Trav'ler Satellite Dish will not stow, the error message is El motor failure. I have read the posts on Winegard, (not very encouraging), the manual and tried to contact Winegard but this is Sunday. Anybody have any luck getting parts (El motor) for this system or am I faced with replacing the whole unit? It is 4? years old.  Right now I am stuck in Helena MT with the antenna up looking for an RV tech to manually crank it down. I am of an age that precludes my climbing on the roof!

I found this solution on another forum:
Try this:

1. Press [POWER] and hold for 2 seconds to turn ?ON? the TRAV?LER Interface Box. Wait until the Interface Box finishes ?connecting to antenna?. The TRAV?LER may enter the ?Search Routine? after 10 seconds this is normal (See NOTE Below).

2. Press [ENTER] and hold for 2 seconds or until the unit displays ?Enter User Menu?. Press [SELECT] to move the asterisk to ?Yes?. Press [ENTER].

3. Press [SELECT] to move the asterisk to INSTALLATION.

4. Press [ENTER]. You will be asked to provide a code to enter the Installation Menu.

5. Press [ENTER] 4 times to enter code 0000.

6. Press [SELECT] to move ? * ? to ?Calibrate EL?.

7. Press [ENTER].

8. Press [SELECT] to move ? * ? to YES.

9. Press [ENTER] to start the elevation calibration procedure. The LCD should now display ?Calibrate EL In Progress ??.

10. After a few moments the IDU LCD will display ?On EL Hard Stop?-Yes*No?. Visually examine the antenna to verify that the antenna is against the Hard Stop. The antenna will be pointing as far up as it can go, this is the Hard Stop.

11. Press [SELECT] once to move asterisk to ?Yes? if antenna is on the Hard Stop.

12. Press [ENTER] and the LCD will display ?Calibrate EL Success?.

13. You may now stow the antenna.

Thanks for the reply but I don't think it needs re-calibration. (Might be wrong)! The message I get when I power off are "Stowing", followed by a click then "EL Home Motor Failure" which keeps flashing. I suspect the EL motor is fried and I don't believe I can just replace just the motor.

An update - I phoned Winegard and a very amiable lady talked me through the above sequence and voila TV again! I asked if there was a reason for this happening and she said not really, it just happens. Thanks PJ I have saved the sequence you found and know what to do if it happens again.

Hopefully I will never see this with my Trav'ler. But just in case I've printed the procedure and will keep with my manuals.
Thanks Paul.  See you in Q this year?

Tom

AJW said:
An update - I phoned Winegard and a very amiable lady talked me through the above sequence and voila TV again! I asked if there was a reason for this happening and she said not really, it just happens. Thanks PJ I have saved the sequence you found and know what to do if it happens again.

I have had to re calibrate my Traveler on occasion due to the EL Motor Failure flash. BUT, the key error message which may indicate need to replace the turret motor is EL Motor Stalled. I just installed my second turret, thankfully still under the 2 year part warranty,  as the initial motor failed after 6 months and this one lasted about 15 months. But, just met a guy whose dish has been functioning for 10 years without issues....go figure.

I'm going on 7 years and about 70,000 miles with my Trav'ler on my 3rd RV. No problems with the Trav'ler.  This includes at trip to Alaska which included about 600 miles of unpaved road travel.  Also we seldom stay in one place longer than a week. Many times only 1-3 days.  So the Trav'ler goes up, find the satellite, fine tune and then in a day or 5 stow the dish, a lot.  We have also traveled in the RV from 4-10 months in each of the 7 years. 

Back
Top Bottom